Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another food question

Default Another food question

How much exactly should I be giving my two rabbits of hard food every day? I have one dwarf lop who's gettting a bit podgy, and one mini lop who is exactly the right weight for her breed.

I'm just a bit worried about Mr B as despite lots of exercise I weighed him the other day and he is 0.5kg over the recommended weight for dwarf lops!

Normally I give them a bowl full of food a day and top up when it's all gone (by small bowl I mean one of those "rabbit" ceramic ones that they seem to sell in every pet shop)

Plus they have a constant supply of hay and fresh greens every day.

Is this too much?

Remember breed weights are only guidelines it does vary from bun to bun. Approximately 100g of dry food would be a good place to start from. Make sure they have plenty of hay to make up the difference. If you get them down to that and used to eating more hay/veggies instead you can reduce it further if needed.

Tam

Hello Amelia, always a diffucult one. But, I would consider the daily need allowance recommened of the breeds you have. eg. A dwarf breed needs about 2oz of dry food and hay, a large breed 4oz (suggested guidance only and should not be taken as gospel), but obviously this is a standard recommendation and each rabbit is different. One portion of dry food a day is enough, and if a bowl is finished, then a top up is not necessary, but hay and some greens can be offered. If your bunny is getting a little overweight cut down on dried and offer more hay. Another obvious sign of over-feeding dry food is the over production of caecotrophs.

If concern over reducing one bunnies diet maybe deterimental to their partner, it may be worth feeding dried food separately until the weight of the one is at the recommended level and monitoring the diet from then on. A little labour intensive, but may only be so for a short time.

The cermic bowls sold in pet shops are ideal in weight and size but hold an overly large amount of food for a dwarf or mini lop so weighing of the portion of food is a sure guidance that your bunny is receiving the correct amount, and once emptied the bowl should be removed, and cleaned ready for the following days portion of dried food.

In mixed diets the bowl should not be emptied until all food is consumped to avoid selective feeding.

-

Well burgess excel recommends 3-3.5% of body weight. I worked my 1.72Kg bunnie to need 51-60g per day. I then put it in a bowl to see the volume and now I just do it volume wise. But if your also giving veggies you should then cut it back a bit.

Banned

I normally feed my rabbit with Dry food just once a day in the evening, when his waking up, with greens and a round of bread. During the day he eats hay. Oh, and lots of exercise.

Thanks

I've changed their hard food to selective science as they were picking the green bits out of the last lot of food and leaving the rest.

They have been producing a lot of caecotrophs so I think I definitely do need to cut down on their food.

Tam, by 100g of food do you mean each or for both bunnies?

Would Mr Bump be considered v overweight by being 0.5kg overweight? (he doesn't look particuarly fat!)

Banned
    Aberdeen , Scotland. Mubby the wabbit and his Mummy Nicola x

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    and a round of bread. [/color]
    bread!?

I'd judge his weight by looking at him, the breed standards are for what breeds aim for that doesn't mean a dwarf lop can't be bigger or smaller without being the wrong weight for their size.

Even if they aren't currently overweight less pellets and more hay is better for them, hay is lots of yummy fibre and also good for their teeth!

Approx. 50g per bunny, so 100g between the two.

Tam

Thanks Tam, will definitely try and cut down on the dry food.

I think Mr Bump is just big boned

Banned

Yeah, they love bread! Well...Toby does anyway, and it seems to be doing him good. He has lots of energy and his very lively. Like us they need a good diet...well...he has a better diet then me