• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Megacolon..?

I think I would leave him on the hay and the Fibafirst for a while. Maybe try different types of hay to stimulate his interest and thereby encouraging him to eat more. If he's losing weight I would try giving him a few extra Fibafirst. Also, if you say he tolerates stripping the bark from twigs, I would get some more of those to give him.

Then if you find his tummy is settling down over several days, I would try giving him very tiny amounts of dried forage, but only one type at once (so no mixes). Only after a period of his tummy settling down again, would I then try a different type. I think it's more important to get him to eat foods that he can tolerate at the moment, even if that means he's not having much variety.

Sending lots of vibes for the beautiful Atticus.
Thank you so much :)

Funny you should suggest getting bags of single type things - I did that earlier on zooplus think the company was Jr farm? They had some single types in a bag so when they arrive I'll try exactly what you suggested :)

I've already tried dandelion which I got before was just a bag of that, but I ordered some more because that's always a favourite with the other two :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

That's helpful and good to know thanks :) I don't need to feed readigrass all the time anyway because it's just one of many different hays that I feed alongside the timothy hay for variety :) I feed alfalfa in smaller quantities as a treat and William said he wouldn't because again calcium (this he said a while ago just generally).

But maybe as Atticus seems fine with readigrass I'll give him some more per day as his diet is less varied that the other bunnies x

Yes, alfalfa hay is high in calcium. I have fed it as a treat, but no more than that :)

What causes excess cecotropes (normally)? Is it a diet that's too rich in something?

Atticus was doing slightly better for a few days just eating hay... Now he's producing so many cecotropes but he's still only eating hay... I'm a bit confused honestly

What causes excess cecotropes (normally)? Is it a diet that's too rich in something?

Atticus was doing slightly better for a few days just eating hay... Now he's producing so many cecotropes but he's still only eating hay... I'm a bit confused honestly

I see, this is unusual if hay is all he's getting Grace

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

A diet too high in carbohydrates, protein, or sugar can upset the balance of bacteria in the caecum causing the production of too many cecotropes. The rabbit ignores these extra dropping as they contain unneeded nutrients and they become stuck in the fur or squished on the floor instead.

http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

It may also take a while for the poops to normalise - for the gut to adjust and produce the ones he should be doing. However, is it that he's not eating them? Do you see him eating them? There's no reason he can't get to them himself, is there?

I see, this is unusual if hay is all he's getting Grace

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

A diet too high in carbohydrates, protein, or sugar can upset the balance of bacteria in the caecum causing the production of too many cecotropes. The rabbit ignores these extra dropping as they contain unneeded nutrients and they become stuck in the fur or squished on the floor instead.

http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

It may also take a while for the poops to normalise - for the gut to adjust and produce the ones he should be doing. However, is it that he's not eating them? Do you see him eating them? There's no reason he can't get to them himself, is there?

Yea... So there was 'normal' poops for a few days with the odd larger one... But it was a lot better then in the last 48 hours just an influx of cecotropes.... He doesn't appear to be eating them... Although I don't know if there's more that he's eating... And just to be super clear in this time his diet has just been hay. I've just given him some readigrass (small handful) not sure if that was a mistake or not.

I don't see why he can't get to them either they're in his litter tray which he's always in and out of.

It's really puzzling me... He's seeing William tomorrow morning but I'm not sure what he'll make of this either [emoji38]

Yea... So there was 'normal' poops for a few days with the odd larger one... But it was a lot better then in the last 48 hours just an influx of cecotropes.... He doesn't appear to be eating them... Although I don't know if there's more that he's eating... And just to be super clear in this time his diet has just been hay. I've just given him some readigrass (small handful) not sure if that was a mistake or not.

I don't see why he can't get to them either they're in his litter tray which he's always in and out of.

It's really puzzling me... He's seeing William tomorrow morning but I'm not sure what he'll make of this either [emoji38]

I'm glad you're seeing William :)

The readigrass *can* in some instances cause excess cecals, so you could try removing it? For him it might just be too much. Not a mistake at all, as you have to try these things out.

He can reach his bottom OK then - so perhaps it's the readigrass. What a sensitive boy!

Have you tried giving Avipro? Or bio lapis probiotic?

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/avipro-plus_4.aspx

http://www.protexin.com/products/bio-lapis-for-rabbits/23

I'm glad you're seeing William :)

The readigrass *can* in some instances cause excess cecals, so you could try removing it? For him it might just be too much. Not a mistake at all, as you have to try these things out.

He can reach his bottom OK then - so perhaps it's the readigrass. What a sensitive boy!

Have you tried giving Avipro? Or bio lapis probiotic?

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/avipro-plus_4.aspx

http://www.protexin.com/products/bio-lapis-for-rabbits/23

I've only just given the readigrass though like 5 minutes ago, and the cecotropes explosion happened before this D: it just doesn't add up.

No I haven't given that yet, William said to monitor water intake all week and work out average for when I see him. So I didn't add it to the water incase he didn't like it and wasn't drinking the normal amount [emoji38]

Could just eating hay be upsetting him...? Seems mad to even ask that...

I've only just given the readigrass though like 5 minutes ago, and the cecotropes explosion happened before this D: it just doesn't add up.

No I haven't given that yet, William said to monitor water intake all week and work out average for when I see him. So I didn't add it to the water incase he didn't like it and wasn't drinking the normal amount [emoji38]

Could just eating hay be upsetting him...? Seems mad to even ask that...

oh I see - yes it doesn't add up, does it? I was surprised the readigrass caused that issue, as I have never had a problem free feeding it to hundreds of rabbits.

One thing though - perhaps ask William if he would like a sample of his poo? (your rabbit's, not William's :shock:) Collect some in a clean jar. Can't do any harm to be prepared ...

He has to eat hay of some sort, for his digestion and teeth.

oh I see - yes it doesn't add up, does it? I was surprised the readigrass caused that issue, as I have never had a problem free feeding it to hundreds of rabbits.

One thing though - perhaps ask William if he would like a sample of his poo? (your rabbit's, not William's :shock:) Collect some in a clean jar. Can't do any harm to be prepared ...

He has to eat hay of some sort, for his digestion and teeth.
Haha yes I might just take one along, they've already got a sample of the huge round ones, but I figure cecotropes were just cecotropes but maybe worth taking one along.

Haha yes I might just take one along, they've already got a sample of the huge round ones, but I figure cecotropes were just cecotropes but maybe worth taking one along.

Well you never know :shock::lol:

Hopes pinned on William then :D

How's things today?
Well Atticus and Clementine both had their RHD2 vaccines. Since last night when I changed his litter tray he'd hardly pooped told William he felt him and said he was very gassy... So he's on medication for that [emoji106] we've agreed to just feed him hay and nothing else for the time being Well Atticus and Clementine both had their RHD2 vaccines. Since last night when I changed his litter tray he'd hardly pooped told William he felt him and said he was very gassy... So he's on medication for that [emoji106] we've agreed to just feed him hay and nothing else for the time being as nothing else seems to be okay for him to eat.

Clementine left a few "presents" in her carry cage and William said they weren't hard enough and they broke apart to easily so hers aren't quite right either (obviously nothing like his) so he said maybe stop giving her an egg cup of food a day too. I'm not sure tho, she really loves her food seems a shame haha x

Well Atticus and Clementine both had their RHD2 vaccines. Since last night when I changed his litter tray he'd hardly pooped told William he felt him and said he was very gassy... So he's on medication for that [emoji106] we've agreed to just feed him hay and nothing else for the time being Well Atticus and Clementine both had their RHD2 vaccines. Since last night when I changed his litter tray he'd hardly pooped told William he felt him and said he was very gassy... So he's on medication for that [emoji106] we've agreed to just feed him hay and nothing else for the time being as nothing else seems to be okay for him to eat.

Clementine left a few "presents" in her carry cage and William said they weren't hard enough and they broke apart to easily so hers aren't quite right either (obviously nothing like his) so he said maybe stop giving her an egg cup of food a day too. I'm not sure tho, she really loves her food seems a shame haha x

Gets complicated with all these buns' different requirements, doesn't it?

I'm glad to hear they are now covered with the vaccine, and that you are seeing a great vet :D

Has a faecal analysis been done ? I think you mentioned something about it but I have kinda lost track.

Do you have a follow up appointment with William? Have you all your test results now? xx

Yea they checked there was no parasites found and no follow ups no, William basically said that no one really understands the condition so there's not much that can be done... I've tried him with some single types of forage but they don't go well unfortunately so he said just to feed hay

Yea they checked there was no parasites found and no follow ups no, William basically said that no one really understands the condition so there's not much that can be done... I've tried him with some single types of forage but they don't go well unfortunately so he said just to feed hay

I thought you had said that. Are Atticus and Clementine Brother and Sister ?

Yes I remember you took samples for him to look at. Did you decide to take the recent cecals to him, or not?

So sorry you haven't got a definitive diagnosis and a diet that won't upset him ...

Yes I remember you took samples for him to look at. Did you decide to take the recent cecals to him, or not?

So sorry you haven't got a definitive diagnosis and a diet that won't upset him ...
I didn't in the end because we changed his litter tray and then there was no output which I wasn't expecting - he looked at his teeth said they look good - was wondering if it was dental reason for not eating them.

And yea I mean he's got all the symptoms of megacolon and a few other things which all cross over with that condition but William just said there's no treatment and no one really understands it enough. Unless I wanna go down the steroids /chemotherapy route... Which I don't right now and we aren't there yet anyway x

Back