• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Megacolon..?

Hi sorry it's taken me so long to reply - He's now bonded with his sister and has been doing okay - they seem happy together at least :)

Yes, there looks like there are fibres in the unformed poos. I'm going to attach two very grim images in a minute - He's been outside for a couple of hours so been running around more than he would normally and he's left a lot of mess on the grass (taken a picture of one poo, and the other is his underneath when I brought him in just now - he was completely clean when I let him out a few hours ago :cry:)

I did see him eat 'something' directly from himself the other day - but it sounded crunchy - not too sure what that means :( and yes the smell of the unformed poos is terrible. Sometimes I'll wake up in the morning go see to them, and have to clean them out fully because he's had a bad night and the smell is horrendous.

I really think he needs to go back to the vet, but last time I went there was no answers really - and it didn't seem like there was anything he could do :( He's has no testing really except the poo examined.

Not really sure what to do for him, I mean currently they're in a confined area indoors (because of bonding etc) but as I increase the space, especially outside he runs more and more, and gets into a mess, with summer coming up and flies I'm very worried :(
ff2ec60c4978defec0203e0b3cedd9b3.jpg
e53ceb7c49d2e807b5165cf8468ff52a.jpg

This looks a bit bad, doesn't it?

I've found rabbits who eat fresh grass, or run around in the heat (when not used to it) get poos like this. Not easy, as you say, because of the flystrike season ...

If William has examined the poo and there's nothing wrong with that, then it must be the intestines. Has William thought about putting him on meds long term? There are rabbits that need to be on meds for poo problems which aren't necessarily to do with gut motility.

Perhaps William can experiment with Ranitidine, or something that will help the gut be less inflamed?

This looks a bit bad, doesn't it?

I've found rabbits who eat fresh grass, or run around in the heat (when not used to it) get poos like this. Not easy, as you say, because of the flystrike season ...

If William has examined the poo and there's nothing wrong with that, then it must be the intestines. Has William thought about putting him on meds long term? There are rabbits that need to be on meds for poo problems which aren't necessarily to do with gut motility.

Perhaps William can experiment with Ranitidine, or something that will help the gut be less inflamed?

Yea it doesn't look good :( he wasn't in the heat, it was quite late maybe 6 or 7, when they first went out, in the shade also - plus he produces these anytime he runs about even when it's not warm :(

I'm going to get an appointment next week with William I think, before he just spoke about a few medications, but said we weren't really there yet, and also suggested they could cause more harm long term if I recall. Need to ask him again what the options are etc, because I'm not clear and we have to do something.

Ultimately they're both going to live outside in a large enclosure with lots of grass and space to run, so I need to either change that (no grass) or work out how to help him, because I'm not sure I could leave him outside, when daily there's the possibility of getting himself into this state :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Well some athletes can get what is called 'runners diarrhoea', the specific cause is apparently unknown but it is thought that the diversion of blood flow from the intestines to the limbs during a run could play a part. Maybe that is why the unformed poo is so much worse after exercise ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1478906/?page=1

That's really interesting - because he produces far less when he's not been running around like a mad thing.

That's really interesting - because he produces far less when he's not been running around like a mad thing.

Lord H went through a phase like that too. Now he only seems to have 'diarrhoea' after a seizure (he has complex neurological problems).

Yea it doesn't look good :( he wasn't in the heat, it was quite late maybe 6 or 7, when they first went out, in the shade also - plus he produces these anytime he runs about even when it's not warm :(

I'm going to get an appointment next week with William I think, before he just spoke about a few medications, but said we weren't really there yet, and also suggested they could cause more harm long term if I recall. Need to ask him again what the options are etc, because I'm not clear and we have to do something.

Ultimately they're both going to live outside in a large enclosure with lots of grass and space to run, so I need to either change that (no grass) or work out how to help him, because I'm not sure I could leave him outside, when daily there's the possibility of getting himself into this state :(

I've had bunnies go through periods like this and sorted it with diet and supplements. But William is investigating all alternatives and I should think he's your best port of call :)

Back