Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 146

Thread: Megacolon..?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    He definitely is bony should I take him to the vet? I realistically can't increase his pellets and he eats loads and loads of hay... Not sure what else I can feed him to make him put on weight

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    Is he actually losing weight? And how fast?

    I know you've thought of everything ... if he eats loads of hay that should put the weight on a bunny with a good digestive system, but of course you have it more difficult here ...

    He can't eat high calorie veg like parsnip, can he?

  2. #122
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Is he actually losing weight? And how fast?

    I know you've thought of everything ... if he eats loads of hay that should put the weight on a bunny with a good digestive system, but of course you have it more difficult here ...

    He can't eat high calorie veg like parsnip, can he?
    I'm not too sure I'll weigh him tomorrow last time I went to the vets he was 3 kg which will be in my phone so I'll be able to see how long it's been and compare weights roughly.

    Haven't tried him with parsnip before actually I could do that I've been giving him small bits of kale every few days and he's been tolerating it quite well although yesterday morning his whole space smelt terribly and there were cowpats everywhere again not sure if that was the kale or not honestly - I'll give him a few days to settle and try parsnip thanks for suggestion

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'm not too sure I'll weigh him tomorrow last time I went to the vets he was 3 kg which will be in my phone so I'll be able to see how long it's been and compare weights roughly.

    Haven't tried him with parsnip before actually I could do that I've been giving him small bits of kale every few days and he's been tolerating it quite well although yesterday morning his whole space smelt terribly and there were cowpats everywhere again not sure if that was the kale or not honestly - I'll give him a few days to settle and try parsnip thanks for suggestion

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    You're welcome

    Have you looked at this?

    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-...ula-1kg-p-5639


    There's also something else I used for my megacolon rabbit ... I will PM you

  4. #124
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You're welcome

    Have you looked at this?

    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-...ula-1kg-p-5639


    There's also something else I used for my megacolon rabbit ... I will PM you
    No I haven't - I'll order some and try him on it, if not I'm sure the other two will hoover it up

    And oo okay thanks

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    No I haven't - I'll order some and try him on it, if not I'm sure the other two will hoover it up

    And oo okay thanks

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    How are things these days?

    I've posted what I promised, and everything should be in the packet

    Let me know if it's not clear when you receive it

  6. #126
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    How are things these days?

    I've posted what I promised, and everything should be in the packet

    Let me know if it's not clear when you receive it
    Ah thank you so much

    Things are okay - he's still maintaining 3kg as his weight which vet said is good for him. But he's very boney on top compared to the other buns so that worries me a little - I remember William saying about some bunnies staying the same weight but wasting.. I'm going to take him back to the vets though to be checked over again

    He has okay days and then very bad days but changing his food hasn't worked, so far the excel pellets seem to be all he tolerates and hay - still trying things bit by bit thanks for asking xx

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Ah thank you so much

    Things are okay - he's still maintaining 3kg as his weight which vet said is good for him. But he's very boney on top compared to the other buns so that worries me a little - I remember William saying about some bunnies staying the same weight but wasting.. I'm going to take him back to the vets though to be checked over again

    He has okay days and then very bad days but changing his food hasn't worked, so far the excel pellets seem to be all he tolerates and hay - still trying things bit by bit thanks for asking xx

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    You sound like me at the moment Grace - always at the vets!

    You could ask William about an anabolic steroid for him. It helps build up muscle, prevent wasting, and enhances appetite.

    Such a shame you can't feed him up ... How is his activity level?

  8. #128
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Swindon Wiltshire
    Posts
    10,047

    Default

    I agree with MM this is a good idea to improve his weight particularly muscles.
    As an outside thought I have wondered whether it's possible to increase food "through put", & caecal emptying so he can eat more food & help weight that way too.
    Thumper used domperidone for this, while it was still under clinical trial for rabbits by FHB. We had to use excessively massive doses.

    All drugs which increase GI motility have a problem that they can't improve the areas which have lost their nerve supply so it can cause cramping.
    I don't think this was a problem for Thumper because he learned the effect & only refused it when he didn't need it.
    They work by increasing the "push" through short denervated segments of bowel.

    Personally I liked domperidone because it had a "smooth" action & predictable response to increments of dose.
    Ranitidine always was unacceptable to Thumper, & Marie told me that most rabbits protest at taking it.

    Hitherto I've thought that William would have suggested this, but notice that it isn't commonly used on RO.
    Last edited by thumps_; 23-02-2018 at 06:06 PM.

  9. #129
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16,367

    Default

    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if anyone's megacolon bunny got worse when they were running around more?

    Sorry to include gross pictures, but he's been running around on the grass, binkying, zooming, generally going mad and he's left these everywhere seems to be worse than the ones he leaves inside in his litter tray (which still aren't great)

    He seems okay in himself, it's just surely he can't be okay if he's producing these kinds of poops? xx

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  10. #130
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if anyone's megacolon bunny got worse when they were running around more?

    Sorry to include gross pictures, but he's been running around on the grass, binkying, zooming, generally going mad and he's left these everywhere seems to be worse than the ones he leaves inside in his litter tray (which still aren't great)

    He seems okay in himself, it's just surely he can't be okay if he's producing these kinds of poops? xx

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I have known it to happen. Has he been eating a lot of grass too ? The new growth grass is richer at this time of year, so that could be another factor.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •