Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Megacolon..?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    He definitely is bony should I take him to the vet? I realistically can't increase his pellets and he eats loads and loads of hay... Not sure what else I can feed him to make him put on weight

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Is he actually losing weight? And how fast?

I know you've thought of everything ... if he eats loads of hay that should put the weight on a bunny with a good digestive system, but of course you have it more difficult here ...

He can't eat high calorie veg like parsnip, can he?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Is he actually losing weight? And how fast?

I know you've thought of everything ... if he eats loads of hay that should put the weight on a bunny with a good digestive system, but of course you have it more difficult here ...

He can't eat high calorie veg like parsnip, can he?
    I'm not too sure I'll weigh him tomorrow last time I went to the vets he was 3 kg which will be in my phone so I'll be able to see how long it's been and compare weights roughly.

Haven't tried him with parsnip before actually I could do that I've been giving him small bits of kale every few days and he's been tolerating it quite well although yesterday morning his whole space smelt terribly and there were cowpats everywhere again not sure if that was the kale or not honestly - I'll give him a few days to settle and try parsnip thanks for suggestion

Banned

I'm not too sure I'll weigh him tomorrow last time I went to the vets he was 3 kg which will be in my phone so I'll be able to see how long it's been and compare weights roughly.

Haven't tried him with parsnip before actually I could do that I've been giving him small bits of kale every few days and he's been tolerating it quite well although yesterday morning his whole space smelt terribly and there were cowpats everywhere again not sure if that was the kale or not honestly - I'll give him a few days to settle and try parsnip thanks for suggestion

You're welcome

Have you looked at this?

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-...ula-1kg-p-5639

There's also something else I used for my megacolon rabbit ... I will PM you

You're welcome

Have you looked at this?

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-...ula-1kg-p-5639

There's also something else I used for my megacolon rabbit ... I will PM you
    No I haven't - I'll order some and try him on it, if not I'm sure the other two will hoover it up

And oo okay thanks

Banned

No I haven't - I'll order some and try him on it, if not I'm sure the other two will hoover it up

And oo okay thanks

How are things these days?

I've posted what I promised, and everything should be in the packet

Let me know if it's not clear when you receive it

How are things these days?

I've posted what I promised, and everything should be in the packet

Let me know if it's not clear when you receive it
    Ah thank you so much

Things are okay - he's still maintaining 3kg as his weight which vet said is good for him. But he's very boney on top compared to the other buns so that worries me a little - I remember William saying about some bunnies staying the same weight but wasting.. I'm going to take him back to the vets though to be checked over again

He has okay days and then very bad days but changing his food hasn't worked, so far the excel pellets seem to be all he tolerates and hay - still trying things bit by bit thanks for asking xx

Banned

Ah thank you so much

Things are okay - he's still maintaining 3kg as his weight which vet said is good for him. But he's very boney on top compared to the other buns so that worries me a little - I remember William saying about some bunnies staying the same weight but wasting.. I'm going to take him back to the vets though to be checked over again

He has okay days and then very bad days but changing his food hasn't worked, so far the excel pellets seem to be all he tolerates and hay - still trying things bit by bit thanks for asking xx

You sound like me at the moment Grace - always at the vets!

You could ask William about an anabolic steroid for him. It helps build up muscle, prevent wasting, and enhances appetite.

Such a shame you can't feed him up ... How is his activity level?

Wise Old Thumper

I agree with MM this is a good idea to improve his weight particularly muscles.
    As an outside thought I have wondered whether it's possible to increase food "through put", & caecal emptying so he can eat more food & help weight that way too.
    Thumper used domperidone for this, while it was still under clinical trial for rabbits by FHB. We had to use excessively massive doses.

All drugs which increase GI motility have a problem that they can't improve the areas which have lost their nerve supply so it can cause cramping.
    I don't think this was a problem for Thumper because he learned the effect & only refused it when he didn't need it.
    They work by increasing the "push" through short denervated segments of bowel.

Personally I liked domperidone because it had a "smooth" action & predictable response to increments of dose.
    Ranitidine always was unacceptable to Thumper, & Marie told me that most rabbits protest at taking it.

Hitherto I've thought that William would have suggested this, but notice that it isn't commonly used on RO.
    Last edited by thumps_; 23-02-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if anyone's megacolon bunny got worse when they were running around more?

Sorry to include gross pictures, but he's been running around on the grass, binkying, zooming, generally going mad and he's left these everywhere seems to be worse than the ones he leaves inside in his litter tray (which still aren't great)

He seems okay in himself, it's just surely he can't be okay if he's producing these kinds of poops? xx

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if anyone's megacolon bunny got worse when they were running around more?

Sorry to include gross pictures, but he's been running around on the grass, binkying, zooming, generally going mad and he's left these everywhere seems to be worse than the ones he leaves inside in his litter tray (which still aren't great)

He seems okay in himself, it's just surely he can't be okay if he's producing these kinds of poops? xx

Yes, I have known it to happen. Has he been eating a lot of grass too ? The new growth grass is richer at this time of year, so that could be another factor.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!