Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Megacolon..?

Also those light coloured poos break apart like powder, is that normal?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post

It's hard to say for certain if what you are specifically describing is 'normal'. The fecal poos of a Rabbit on a hay only diet will be 'crumbly' and very fibrous when broken up.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Hi Grace

I would say they look pretty normal, and if they are crumbly that's OK.

They aren't *usually* like powder, and is that what William was saying wasn't normal?

I think you might have to send me some in the post so I can break them up and see

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Grace

I would say they look pretty normal, and if they are crumbly that's OK.

They aren't *usually* like powder, and is that what William was saying wasn't normal?

I think you might have to send me some in the post so I can break them up and see
    His are like a powder and no I hadn't checked the consistency when I saw William, only showed the colour which he said wasn't right.

Hahaha that would be a delightful present to receive

Banned

His are like a powder and no I hadn't checked the consistency when I saw William, only showed the colour which he said wasn't right.

Hahaha that would be a delightful present to receive

Well you've missed Christmas now, but I could have a New Year's pressie of pale golden boulders

So long as I don't confuse them with my nuts and raisins whilst drinking bubbly!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Well you've missed Christmas now, but I could have a New Year's pressie of pale golden boulders

So long as I don't confuse them with my nuts and raisins whilst drinking bubbly!
    That'd be just the worst

Soo I've been experimenting more and more with his diet. He now has the same amount of pellets as the other two do per day, which is 1 egg cup full and loads of hay - and that's it. He's not as bad as he was, but he's now obviously on basically the same diet as them and his poos are still like a pale yellow colour compared to the other bunnies which are brown.. I can attach some picture comparisons later. William said that the colour of his poos are what he's seen before in megacolon bunnies, have either of you experienced this before?

I gave him some ribwort last night with his hay, and this mornings litter tray is very bad x

Wise Old Thumper

Soo I've been experimenting more and more with his diet. He now has the same amount of pellets as the other two do per day, which is 1 egg cup full and loads of hay - and that's it. He's not as bad as he was, but he's now obviously on basically the same diet as them and his poos are still like a pale yellow colour compared to the other bunnies which are brown.. I can attach some picture comparisons later. William said that the colour of his poos are what he's seen before in megacolon bunnies, have either of you experienced this before?

I gave him some ribwort last night with his hay, and this mornings litter tray is very bad x

I have not noted very pale fecal poo, just abnormally large, wet and oval in shape.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Not particularly pale with Megacolon, Grace, but it's such a mysterious condition. If William suggests it's megacolon and has seen them before, then I bow to his superior knowledge.

How's he within himself? (your bunny, not William!)

Wise Old Thumper

Hi Gracie. I'm so sorry to hear that Atticus is having such difficult problems.
    His GI tract is behaving very differently from Thumper, who was thought to have megacolon by Great Weatern referals (exotics) until the results of PM. His thread is the last "sticky" on Health under rare diseases. His GI tract functioned exactly as in the caecal type of megacolon, but I don't think it will be much help to you because one of his big problems was absorbtion through the thickened caecal wall.

Has Atticus had an ultrasound examination of the GI tract? This can be done without GA in many rabbits & will show how the GI tract is moving = detect megacolon segments which lack a nerve supply & can't contract properly & in good hands show any thickening of the gut wall, as well as blocks to the forward movement of the poohs.

It seems to me with no vet qualifications whatsoever that the caecum is the main affected area, rather than the colon which is commoner, but megacolon can start in the caecum. It sounds to me as if there is very good , perhaps excessive action in the colon where small particles are seperated from the large fibres pushed into the pouches - haustrae. The large fibres are then expelled as wastes & the small particle smoved backwards into the caecum.
    Please forgive me for being "unsavoury" but poohs can tell us a lot about WHERE the problem is in the large gut/cacum, & narrows down diagnostic possibilities, but not WHAT the diagnosis is.

Are his runny caecotrophs really stinky? Does he ever get large masses of runny cacal material mixed in with waste poohs - eyewateringly large - how on earth did he manage to pass that?

One thing which tends to happen if the caecum isn't contracting properly is overgrowth of bacteria which make toxins which slow down the caecum further, & can lead to gas production in some cases. The really runny caecals are those which have been hanging around in the caecum the longest are are usually the smelliest.

I'm sorry to go into details of the workings of a rabbit's lower GI tract & poohs. I found that understanding it, helped a lot with managing diet.
    It seems to me that ultrasound is the key investigation here. Is the caecum emptying normally? Is there a tiny impaction? Is the caecal wall thickened? How is the colon moving?
    Last edited by thumps_; 09-01-2018 at 07:12 PM.