Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 146 of 146

Thread: Megacolon..?

  1. #141
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,263

    Default

    Well some athletes can get what is called 'runners diarrhoea', the specific cause is apparently unknown but it is thought that the diversion of blood flow from the intestines to the limbs during a run could play a part. Maybe that is why the unformed poo is so much worse after exercise ??


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner%27s_diarrhea

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...478906/?page=1



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

  2. #142
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Hi sorry it's taken me so long to reply - He's now bonded with his sister and has been doing okay - they seem happy together at least

    Yes, there looks like there are fibres in the unformed poos. I'm going to attach two very grim images in a minute - He's been outside for a couple of hours so been running around more than he would normally and he's left a lot of mess on the grass (taken a picture of one poo, and the other is his underneath when I brought him in just now - he was completely clean when I let him out a few hours ago )

    I did see him eat 'something' directly from himself the other day - but it sounded crunchy - not too sure what that means and yes the smell of the unformed poos is terrible. Sometimes I'll wake up in the morning go see to them, and have to clean them out fully because he's had a bad night and the smell is horrendous.

    I really think he needs to go back to the vet, but last time I went there was no answers really - and it didn't seem like there was anything he could do He's has no testing really except the poo examined.

    Not really sure what to do for him, I mean currently they're in a confined area indoors (because of bonding etc) but as I increase the space, especially outside he runs more and more, and gets into a mess, with summer coming up and flies I'm very worried


    This looks a bit bad, doesn't it?

    I've found rabbits who eat fresh grass, or run around in the heat (when not used to it) get poos like this. Not easy, as you say, because of the flystrike season ...

    If William has examined the poo and there's nothing wrong with that, then it must be the intestines. Has William thought about putting him on meds long term? There are rabbits that need to be on meds for poo problems which aren't necessarily to do with gut motility.

    Perhaps William can experiment with Ranitidine, or something that will help the gut be less inflamed?

  3. #143
    Mama Doe Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    This looks a bit bad, doesn't it?

    I've found rabbits who eat fresh grass, or run around in the heat (when not used to it) get poos like this. Not easy, as you say, because of the flystrike season ...

    If William has examined the poo and there's nothing wrong with that, then it must be the intestines. Has William thought about putting him on meds long term? There are rabbits that need to be on meds for poo problems which aren't necessarily to do with gut motility.

    Perhaps William can experiment with Ranitidine, or something that will help the gut be less inflamed?
    Yea it doesn't look good he wasn't in the heat, it was quite late maybe 6 or 7, when they first went out, in the shade also - plus he produces these anytime he runs about even when it's not warm

    I'm going to get an appointment next week with William I think, before he just spoke about a few medications, but said we weren't really there yet, and also suggested they could cause more harm long term if I recall. Need to ask him again what the options are etc, because I'm not clear and we have to do something.

    Ultimately they're both going to live outside in a large enclosure with lots of grass and space to run, so I need to either change that (no grass) or work out how to help him, because I'm not sure I could leave him outside, when daily there's the possibility of getting himself into this state


    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  4. #144
    Mama Doe Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Well some athletes can get what is called 'runners diarrhoea', the specific cause is apparently unknown but it is thought that the diversion of blood flow from the intestines to the limbs during a run could play a part. Maybe that is why the unformed poo is so much worse after exercise ??


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner%27s_diarrhea

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...478906/?page=1
    That's really interesting - because he produces far less when he's not been running around like a mad thing.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  5. #145
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    That's really interesting - because he produces far less when he's not been running around like a mad thing.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Lord H went through a phase like that too. Now he only seems to have 'diarrhoea' after a seizure (he has complex neurological problems).



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

  6. #146
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Yea it doesn't look good he wasn't in the heat, it was quite late maybe 6 or 7, when they first went out, in the shade also - plus he produces these anytime he runs about even when it's not warm

    I'm going to get an appointment next week with William I think, before he just spoke about a few medications, but said we weren't really there yet, and also suggested they could cause more harm long term if I recall. Need to ask him again what the options are etc, because I'm not clear and we have to do something.

    Ultimately they're both going to live outside in a large enclosure with lots of grass and space to run, so I need to either change that (no grass) or work out how to help him, because I'm not sure I could leave him outside, when daily there's the possibility of getting himself into this state


    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    I've had bunnies go through periods like this and sorted it with diet and supplements. But William is investigating all alternatives and I should think he's your best port of call

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •