Thread: Furmites!

Default Furmites!

Quick question.
    Blossom has developed in two days flat an awful looking fur mite infestation. She is booked in at the vets for 4.20pm today. This is my very grumpy and very bitey rescue bun. No amount of trying to make friends has worked with this girl. She is just well over 7 mix of standard and french lop. I know she is not feeling so good as she let me pick her up! [Normally it has to be gently shooing her into the carry box or kiss your fingers goodbye] She lives in a huge purpose built bunny kennel [4x6 kennel and 20 x 6 covered run]

I am going to request a sub-cute jab as she is not going to welcome too much handling. She has never had any outbreaks before so I am concerned that it could be an underlying something going on that I have not spotted. Anyone with any ideas?
    You can't scare me- I have children.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tracybeakerisland View Post
    Quick question.
    Blossom has developed in two days flat an awful looking fur mite infestation. She is booked in at the vets for 4.20pm today. This is my very grumpy and very bitey rescue bun. No amount of trying to make friends has worked with this girl. She is just well over 7 mix of standard and french lop. I know she is not feeling so good as she let me pick her up! [Normally it has to be gently shooing her into the carry box or kiss your fingers goodbye] She lives in a huge purpose built bunny kennel [4x6 kennel and 20 x 6 covered run]

I am going to request a sub-cute jab as she is not going to welcome too much handling. She has never had any outbreaks before so I am concerned that it could be an underlying something going on that I have not spotted. Anyone with any ideas?

A rabbit who gets a mite infestation usually has a depleted immune system, but it's often not possible to get to the root cause of what's wrong.

It's strange how quickly their coat can change from beautiful to scraggy, isn't it?

I think an injection is the way to go, though a lot of vets tend to use the spot on treatment these days. Just make sure all rabbits in contact are treated

The normal treatment for mites is ivermectin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...e/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ive..._Drops/c19097/

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Tracybeakerisland View Post
    Quick question.

Hello stranger, it's nice to hear from you again although I am sorry it's because of a Bunny health problem. Mites can occur when a Rabbit's immune system is being challenged in some way, so a general overall health check by the Vet is a good idea. Rabbits who are unable to groom themselves too well are also more prone to mites. So any type of mobility or Dental problem can be a potential issue. A course of Ivermectin injections should resolve the mites problem and hopefully there will not be anything else to worry about.

I hope that your Daughter is doing OK these days xx
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

How did you get on at the vets?

Wise Old Thumper

I know nothing, but 'hello'!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by happybun View Post
    I know nothing, but 'hello'!

Understatement of the Year