Thread: Dandelion or dehydrated bun?

Default Dandelion or dehydrated bun?

I recently fed Ralph 1 dandelion stalk/ flower and within a matter of minutes (and a few times since) hes had really dark urine. I thought it must be the dandelion although not entirely sure why but now Im worried hes dehydrated due to the warmer weather although he does have access to a water bowl which has been going down, not seen him physically drinking it though. What do you guys think?

Warren Veteran

Dandelions and some other greens can pass pigments through to the urine. It's pretty common and nothing to worry about. Sometimes it can be so dark that it is mistaken for blood in the urine. As long as they have access to water (preferably in a bowl), there shouldn't be a problem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Leannean27 View Post
    I recently fed Ralph 1 dandelion stalk/ flower and within a matter of minutes (and a few times since) hes had really dark urine. I thought it must be the dandelion although not entirely sure why but now Im worried hes dehydrated due to the warmer weather although he does have access to a water bowl which has been going down, not seen him physically drinking it though. What do you guys think?

Hi Leanne

Dandelions often cause the wee to look red and it doesn't mean a rabbit is dehydrated

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-facts...4_290527.shtml

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Dandelions and some other greens can pass pigments through to the urine. It's pretty common and nothing to worry about. Sometimes it can be so dark that it is mistaken for blood in the urine. As long as they have access to water (preferably in a bowl), there shouldn't be a problem.
    Good advice from Shimmer. These links may also be useful

https://www.vetstream.com/pennardvet.../24_290527.asp

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Thanks for the reassurance and links, very useful and stopped me watching him like a hawk

Banned

Thanks for the reassurance and links, very useful and stopped me watching him like a hawk

Yes, less worry = less stress

Happy Sunday