• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating

lucy24

Mama Doe
I took charlie to the vet earlier as he's gone into stasis. Not sure why. He's been given pain relief and ranatidine. I've been told to keep him inside tonight and feed him critical care. But he holds it in his mouth until it dribbles out and refuses to swallow. What can I do?

I took charlie to the vet earlier as he's gone into stasis. Not sure why. He's been given pain relief and ranatidine. I've been told to keep him inside tonight and feed him critical care. But he holds it in his mouth until it dribbles out and refuses to swallow. What can I do?

I'm no expert but, how watery have you made it? Sometimes making it less watery makes it easier to give small amounts at a time and they can't really spit it out easily. My boy always let's it dribble out when it's watery. Will Charlie eat anything like wet veggies or herbs? x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

The problem is he can't have leafy things veg wise because it makes him incontinant. I'm going to get some leaves from his favourite tree in the garden and try that. I will try it thicker too! I think it might be too watery

The problem is he can't have leafy things veg wise because it makes him incontinant. I'm going to get some leaves from his favourite tree in the garden and try that. I will try it thicker too! I think it might be too watery
Oh no poor thing :( maybe leave the veggies idea then I was just thinking if there was anything he liked that might make him want to eat is all :)

I'd definitely try it thicker, I'd add small amounts of water at a time and put as little water in as possible, whilst still being able to syringe it in :) x

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Some rabbits just don't like the taste. I tend to mix the critical care (or ground up pellets) with some organic baby food. Ella's Kitchen is good, and mine like the blueberries and bananas variety.

Has he done any poops yet?

Vibes for Charlie x

Unfortunately no improvement. Wouldn't take a syryinge of water, or anything. Not even his fave foods. Managed a little thickened cc but He's just lying there like he's given up. Will be going back to vets. Haven't seen any poos although hard to tell with his wifebun about. She won't leave his side. I don't want him suffering in pain. I honestly don't know what they will be able to do. I'm preparing myself for pts but so sad

Don't give up yet, stasis can take several days to recover from. What meds has the vet given you ?? Also if you can find some dandelion leaves they are very good to temp a stasis bun, I know u said they make him incontinent but even for a short time as he needs to eat. I have had buns in stasis many times and know how worried you must be. Sending hugs x

Sorry just saw vet has give ranitadine, that works on one part of gut, you need another gut stimulant also such as metacolpramide too as it works on a different area. The best gut stimulant I found was cisapride, as your vet about that.

Last edited:
Just went down and managed to give him his medicine. A whole syringe of cc and he ate some leaves 🙂 still calling the vet but hopefully a good sign

Unfortunately no improvement. Wouldn't take a syryinge of water, or anything. Not even his fave foods. Managed a little thickened cc but He's just lying there like he's given up. Will be going back to vets. Haven't seen any poos although hard to tell with his wifebun about. She won't leave his side. I don't want him suffering in pain. I honestly don't know what they will be able to do. I'm preparing myself for pts but so sad

The vet should be able to administer fluids for him and this will help hydrate the gut contents. They can even keep him in and monitor him and make sure he gets the nutrition he needs. You can take his wife with him.

Keep positive - stasis is something loads of rabbits have and they get over it :)

Some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

He's been admitted for bloods and x-ray . Possibly linked to his kidneys which he had issues with before. Not looking good

Well he's made it through the weekend. He's only has some leaves and carrot shavings. He won't have anything else. He's pood now but doesn't seem his happy self. His x-ray didn't show any abnormalities but showed a completely empty gut. So not good in itself. They managed IV fluids but couldn't get blood. My rabbit vet isback tomorrow so will see what he says. Charlie doesn't seem happy though. 😔

Well he's made it through the weekend. He's only has some leaves and carrot shavings. He won't have anything else. He's pood now but doesn't seem his happy self. His x-ray didn't show any abnormalities but showed a completely empty gut. So not good in itself. They managed IV fluids but couldn't get blood. My rabbit vet isback tomorrow so will see what he says. Charlie doesn't seem happy though. [emoji17]
Poor boy :(

Have you tried giving him CC every couple of hours to get food in his system? x

Back