• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie....bedding/food advice

Hello,
Please could anyone offer some advice on the best type of, and most economical way to source hay and bedding for my soon to be acquired baby mini lops. I will only have two babies, so not sure if Pets at Home is just as economical as going elsewhere?
Also, Is there a particular brand of rabbit feed recommended ? I will bow to your experienced knowledge, forum users, and I am immensely grateful for your time and advice!:D

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Many on here use newspaper with hay on top, that is in the litter tray. Putting hay in the tray encourages bunnies to become litter trained. You can also use bedding from PAH, Carefresh I think, or non-clumping cat litter. If you have room you can buy a bale of farm hay, which will last ages, or bags from say PAH or other pet shops. We all use different food but the important point to remember is to keep your bunnies on the same food as they are eating now and in time you can change them over slowly to another food if you wish. This is very important as a change in food at this age can be very upsetting for them. Also find out if they have been eating veg so you know it should be safe to do so, otherwise you will need to wait until they are 12 weeks old before introducing veg etc in very small portions. Are they going to be indoors or outside?

Hay is cheapest by the bale from either a local farmer or an equestrian supply shop (about £6). A standard 2 string bale will fit in a 240 litre standard wheelie bin. Keep it in the shade - and off the floor if it is in a shed / garage (eg on a wooden pallet). As long as it is kept dry and doesn't sweat, it will keep for many months.

Lino is good on the floor, with some form of litter (not wood shavings)/ paper etc under hay in large litter trays or underbed storage boxes.Then you just spot clean daily and empty the tray as needed. A hay rack or hanging basket is also useful (above the tray) so the rabbits can reach up to eat clean hay and use the stuff in the tray to toilet in as they eat.

Food - unlimited hay and whatever they are already eating. If it is a muesli mix, gradually swap them on to pellets over a few weeks (eg Supreme Science Selective). Don't make any sudden changes in diet - especially with babies. Greens such as cabbage, grass, dandelions, willow, bramble leaves, etc can also be introduced very slowly.

Thank you so very much!
The rabbits will be in a large hutch contained in a shed outside.
I wonder whether anyone has any advice on litter training the babies? I have purchased one of those corner trays, with fixings to attach it to the hutch. I will probably use non clumping wood pellet litter (unless there is any other more effective and economical litter?) for the tray.
I would like to litter train them as I am hoping that they will be frequently spending time indoors (carpets!).
Also, any recommendations on handling? I need them to be as tame as possible!

As I said in my other post, if you place hay in the litter tray this will encourage them to use it for their toilet. Bunnies like to chew while they pooh! :D A normal sized litter tray will be fine but you might want to get a bigger one as they grow up. Lots of us use the underbed storage boxes. Rabbits don't like being picked up very much but in time they will start to trust you more and won't be as scared. You must be careful that they are not subjected to big changes in temperature, such as coming indoors from a very cold shed,then going back outside. This can upset their respiratory system as they are not like dogs and cats which go in and out happily.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :) Good luck with your new rabbits!

For litter trays, I use Fitch https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...et-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html?options=cart. It can also make good bedding, as it's so soft and good value for a really big bag.

I'd recommend Science Selective pellets. Our rabbits have always done well on them.

For a basic hay I often buy Pillow Wad from Amazon, but for more quality hay I've used https://www.timothyhay.co.uk and https://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk.

Will you be letting them run around the shed? If so, covering the floor with Lino is a good idea and works well x

Thank you so very very much!
Is Fitch a similar thing to the 'carefresh' (I think) bedding I have seen in PAH?
You are so very helpful, much appreciated experienced advice :)

Just an add on to my previous question.....I may be missing the obvious, but Is 'feeding Hay' the same as 'bedding hay'?
Also, if you put hay in or near the litter tray for the bunnies to feed on, will they still sleep in a separate area to their 'toilet'?
Thank you all!

Hay is hay, the rabbits will tend to toilet on it wherever it is, so if you put it in a litter tray and they use the tray as a toilet (hopefully) they may decide to sleep in it as well. This is quite normal. Obviously wherever they do their toilet needs daily cleaning out.

Thank you so very very much!
Is Fitch a similar thing to the 'carefresh' (I think) bedding I have seen in PAH?
You are so very helpful, much appreciated experienced advice :)

I've never used Carefresh, but I've had a look and it does look similar, so it perhaps comes down to cost x

Back