• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training a rabbit

Hello everyone,

I posted earlier about bonding. I've just adopted a 6 month old buck and he is a handful to say the least.

My older boy never displayed any of this behaviour but Mika naws his cage, tries to dig/rip up the carpet, he chews everything during playtime and has tried to nibble and bite me a few times.

He is a house rabbit, and I am looking for tips to combat these behaviours.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How much space do your rabbits have - how large is their accommodation when they are not having free range time? When are you planning to have him neutered?

How much space do your rabbits have - how large is their accommodation when they are not having free range time? When are you planning to have him neutered?
Their cages are about between 5 and 6 ft in length each and they have full range of the lounge area during playtime.

The youngest is only in his cage at the moment as he was chewing the rug and I needed to be in the other room and didn't feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised.

And I will be contacting the vet first thing to arrange an appointment [emoji4]

Their cages are about between 5 and 6 ft in length each and they have full range of the lounge area during playtime.

The youngest is only in his cage at the moment as he was chewing the rug and I needed to be in the other room and didn't feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised.

And I will be contacting the vet first thing to arrange an appointment [emoji4]

When you talk about 'cages' what do you mean?

When you talk about 'cages' what do you mean?
This is similar to what my boys have. One is 6ft 8, and the other is 6ft 5.

I've also got a run to set up, only got the run yesterday as only got my second bun yesterday. They usually have full run of the living area which is about 18ft by 15ft however I will be setting up the run until the youngest is out of the habbit of chewing everything

I know it's most likely not the greatest set up ever but I want to know how to make it better for them
3953856e9246b5c5a852911a25226a1c.jpg

Last edited:
I do wish they'd stop selling these as being suitable for rabbits - because, quite, simply, they are not. (I made the same mistake once).

The only way they should be used is as a base, but left open into a permanently attached run of 8ft x 6ft x 2.5/3ft high. They should never be locked in cages like that. People make very good inside houses using large dog crates with attached runs. Or, you can take the top off and use the base as a litter tray, stuffed with hay, inside a large run.

Incidentally, do they have plenty of hay - as well as being essential for health (at least 80% of their diet) - it is a good boredom breaker, as are willow balls (which they can chew on to their hearts content).

PS Forgot to say, take a look at the Housing section - some very good ideas!

Last edited:
I got them both with the rabbits I adopted, as well as a outdoor cage but because of the snow I brought them in.

I understand that they aren't the most suitable, that's why I have been asking for help and search the forum for tips.

They have a constant supply of good hay, as well as fresh veg and constant fresh water.

I've got them both some borerdum breaker toys too. I'm currently in the process of making a larger hide for them both.

I want them to have the best lives possible but I'm just worried about the youngest one chewing.

I'll have another look at the housing section for more tips, thank you [emoji4]

Some rabbits chew, one of ours does. This has meant we had to change from the original idea of free range rabbits, we have now a bunny proof section in a room.
We utilised two meshed puppy pens and a dog cage to create a 8'x8' area for them. It's not ideal, but it works and we get to enjoy indoor rabbits
Hopefully your bun will stop chewing as he gets older and neuteted

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Some rabbits chew, one of ours does. This has meant we had to change from the original idea of free range rabbits, we have now a bunny proof section in a room.
We utilised two meshed puppy pens and a dog cage to create a 8'x8' area for them. It's not ideal, but it works and we get to enjoy indoor rabbits
Hopefully your bun will stop chewing as he gets older and neuteted

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Aah okaay. I didn't know if chewing was an age thing, but yeah my lounge is bunny proof and I've gone and bought extra tots and things for him today in a hopes as to distract him.

Yeah I'm currently building a large run for the youngest boy and he isn't bonded yet with Murphy yet.

I'm going to swap to a crate and permanent run once I've bunny proofed the other room as there's more space there [emoji4]

It sometimes is an age thing and they grow out of it:) Hormones can also cause more destructive behaviors, so neutering helps.

Otherwise, bunny proof and plenty of toys to help curb the chewing/digging towards more appropriate things, which I see you've already done. :)

It sometimes is an age thing and they grow out of it:) Hormones can also cause more destructive behaviors, so neutering helps.

Otherwise, bunny proof and plenty of toys to help curb the chewing/digging towards more appropriate things, which I see you've already done. :)
Aah okaay!

Yes he's getting neutered in January as that's the earliest the vet can see him.

I think he could still be settling in too so I'm hoping this all dies down soon [emoji4]

Yeah I'm just making some toys for him with a cardbaord tube and some little treats and straw to keep him entertained too!

My older bunny (Murphy) never displayed any of these behaviours and is almost a polar opposite to the younger boy (Mika)

Thank you for your advise [emoji195][emoji235]

Back