• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two male buns

I've just adopted a second male bunny, and he's just 6 months old. My first boy is 1 year and 8 months and almost double the size.

The younger one is very active and is a bit of a handful, the older one however likes to stay in his cage, and doesn't really like being picked up but loves cuddles once he is picked up.

At this moment in time they're in two separate cages. But ideally I would like them living together.

Do any of you have any tips in getting them comfortable with one another?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've just adopted a second male bunny, and he's just 6 months old. My first boy is 1 year and 8 months and almost double the size.

The younger one is very active and is a bit of a handful, the older one however likes to stay in his cage, and doesn't really like being picked up but loves cuddles once he is picked up.

At this moment in time they're in two separate cages. But ideally I would like them living together.

Hello

Are they both castrated ?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

When they are both neutered, you can introduce them to one another in a neutral place. Two boys may well get on together.

If you introduce them before neutering, the likelihood is they will fight, and sadly they may remember that fight and not bond in the future. They could well be territorial, or fight for dominance. it's quite common with unneutered males (and females too)

Best to get them both fixed and then leave it a couple of months (for the hormones to settle down) and then introduce :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

When they are both neutered, you can introduce them to one another in a neutral place. Two boys may well get on together.

If you introduce them before neutering, the likelihood is they will fight, and sadly they may remember that fight and not bond in the future. They could well be territorial, or fight for dominance. it's quite common with unneutered males (and females too)

Best to get them both fixed and then leave it a couple of months (for the hormones to settle down) and then introduce :)
Awh thank you!

I will get them neutered asap, also need to get the yongerst registered at the vets.

Thank you for your advice [emoji4]

Pretty much what MM has said :)

Just pop back a couple months after their castration and we can point you in the direction of other bonding threads for tips & guides.

Bonding is different in each individual case and everyone has their preferred way so when you research it you find a lot of conflicting information. The main thing we all seem to agree on is that they should only be bonded in an area neither rabbit has been in.

Many of us also steer clear of stress bonding or only ever use it as a last resort.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back