• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Roof Felt is tearing off. U/Date All done!

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
My roof felt is tearing off and I am not sure what to do. I would like to sell this shed in the spring so don't want to spend a lot of money on it now. The shed is 12 x 8 and quite high, too high really. Would a patch do for now over the exposed bit?

Last edited:
A patch may work but you'd need to ensure its sealed properly to prevent the water getting in under the felt. Best way I can think is to get a patch a little bigger than the hole then put it under the existing roof felt so that it'll give a better seal.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A patch may work but you'd need to ensure its sealed properly to prevent the water getting in under the felt. Best way I can think is to get a patch a little bigger than the hole then put it under the existing roof felt so that it'll give a better seal.

The trouble is you would have to undo the bit that goes across the apex to tuck another piece under. I am not sure if you can undo it and then renail it.

The trouble is you would have to undo the bit that goes across the apex to tuck another piece under. I am not sure if you can undo it and then renail it.
Ah, I thought it was lower down. In that case it may be easier just to replace the roof felt as a whole.

The felt would need replacing if the shed is dismantled for a new owner as it would tear anyway.

You could patch it with a strip covering the tear and just over the apex. Staple it down and put wood battens on if you can as it will stop it all lifting up.
The patch would need to go over the hole - if it goes under it, water will seep through the edges anyway, unless it is a whole width you are replacing near the bottom and the other layers overlap it.

If it is just for winter, you might get away with some thick plastic sheeting (eg potting compost bag) or a tarp over it if it is held down properly (ie stapled and battens nailed or screwed on). It also depends on what is in the shed and how dry it needs to be.

IME patches cause more harm than good: my Dad patched our shed on a cold dark evening mideweek and it was already rough by the weeekend when he did a proper repair :S Get the dirt cheap really awful roof felt forom B&Q/wherever, the stuff that you can tear with your hands, and use that to fix it. I expect it's just one layer that's going although it might not be one that's easily accesible :roll: So you could just replace the one layer?

What I mean by layers: mine has two: one on each side and the apex one (picture is Roofing In Progress).

11212151_10101555092975008_2287929201455180926_o.jpg

So you could lift and peel the apex one to replace the lower one (I'm aware a bigger shed will have more layers), provided the roofing felt is pretty robust (not the cheap stuff I mentioned above), maybe?

I have got a roll of felt and I will get someone (easier said that done!) to peel back the apex felt and slot new piece underneath. Whoever buys the shed will obviously have to re-felt the whole roof. Thanks everyone. The shed is 7 years old now and it's had the apex felt done twice but this is the first time the lower felt has gone so can't grumble really.

Good luck! I'd offer to do it (me and the OH make a great shed-erection team!) but I can't fit in a trip to IOW this side of Christmas :thumb:

Good luck! I'd offer to do it (me and the OH make a great shed-erection team!) but I can't fit in a trip to IOW this side of Christmas :thumb:

Aw that is kind of you. My hayman has a mate who might be able to do it, some time! I asked him this morning, so we will see.

Roofing felt is much easier to deal with when it's warm - so if you can store it somewhere inside the night before, it will roll out better with less risk of cracking or tearing. Doing the job right rather than just a patch will always be a better result, and may make it more appealing to a buyer in Spring (even if they will have to redo it). At least you can get a good pic when it's done and the inside will stay dry.

Roofing felt is much easier to deal with when it's warm - so if you can store it somewhere inside the night before, it will roll out better with less risk of cracking or tearing. Doing the job
right rather than just a patch will always be a better result, and may make it more appealing to a buyer in Spring (even if they will have to redo it). At least you can get a good pic when it's done and the inside will stay dry.

That's a good point about it being easier when warm! I can't do photos, I must learn then I might actually sell something. The man is coming on Fridy tto have a look.

Someone is coming this morning to give me an estimate as the other person didn't come! The price of sheds has gone down apparently and I wouldn't get very much if I sold this one. So, as someone advised, it will be best to have the whole roof done.

Man came yesterday and put 2 new pieces on the flat bits but left the apex bit as that was fairly new. Charges me £30 which I thought was very reasonable.

Great result. Now you just need a good old downpour to test it. Shouldnt be a problem!

Back