Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ughh help

Thats great that you are allowed to keep them in until the Spring. The ideal time for them to go outside is when the indoor and outdoor temperatures are the same, to minimise the shock of sudden temperature changes which can lead to illness.

Perhaps you could research rabbits and vet costs (vaccinations for one) and bonding rabbits (neutered) and present your parents will well thought out and researched information. It may make it easier for them to agree to vet costs being covered.

A hutch alone is simply not enough space for exercise for one rabbit let alone two. Its great that you have two as they are very social animals and are hardwired to live with others of their own kind.

The trouble with unneutered rabbits (both males and females) is the danger of fights once their hormones start to come in around 4/5 months old. Also unless they have been properly sexed there is the risk of babies. They can mate again as soon as the doe has given birth.

It is clear that you love them very much. Do some research and ask as many questions on here as you like.

I keep my group of 4 neutered/spayed rabbits in a 6 x 6 shed with a permanently attached 7 x 5 run made of strong wood and weldmesh. The run is meshed ontop, on the sides and underneath to prevent escape and to stop predators getting in.

Best of luck.

You've already been given loads of advice but I need you to make it clear to your parents that they are breaking the law if they refuse the rabbits veterinary treatment if they become unwell... this can include refusing vaccines in some cases.

Have a look at the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and make them aware of it. They need to ensure they adheir to it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Alpha Buck

Hello PepperandClover, you obviously really love your rabbits and great that you've found the forum. Where abouts do you live, which area of the country I mean. If you let us know, we can recommend a good vet, or even a local rescue to help out if you decide to rehome them?
    Sometimes you can get cheap second hand runs from gumtree and if you find one, you could attach it to the run so when they go out in the spring/summer, they can have more space. Some runs are too small so again, keep an eye out and get a couple which could be joined together. Make sure you get a wooden one though which are safer.
    Let us know how you get on and if you need more advice. Are they boys or girls?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Sorry but it is actually against the law to withhold veterinary treatment from an animal that needs it. Some vets fees are under £100, some go well into the £1000s I'm afraid. Insurance is a good way of helping with the risk of that.

I'm afraid it would be very dangerous for your rabbits to go outside in the cold now after being inside. Perhaps you could show your parents this site and try to educate them in what is best for the rabbits.

If you do have to rehome them then I would ensure they go to a rescue who can get the best possible home for them.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH my parents apologized and said they done research and discovered rabbits are very fragile im so happy 🤪🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    You hopefully don't have a boy and girl as they will breed of course. Rabbits are very sensitive animals very misunderstood and need to be cared for knowledgeably as they can soon become ill. Pets at Home sell covers for their hutches which aren't brilliant but better than nothing. This is for next winter. Good luck with your rabbits, your parents are not the only ones who don't know a lot about rabbits, sadly.
    Thanks you so much they are allowed to stay!!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperandclover View Post
    THANK YOU SO MUCH my parents apologized and said they done research and discovered rabbits are very fragile im so happy 🤪🤣🤣

Wow, indeed they are!

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by pepperandclover View Post
    THANK YOU SO MUCH my parents apologized and said they done research and discovered rabbits are very fragile im so happy ������

That's great news pepperandclover If you ever have any questions about caring for your rabbits then please do post here on Rabbits United. I only joined this forum a few months ago, myself being a new and inexperienced rabbit owner. Everyone is so kind and helpful and I've learnt a lot about looking after my rabbits, it's an amazing community