• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ughh help

pepperandclover

Young Bun
My parents r being really annoying my two buns have been inside now for maybe a month and my mum thinks it’s disgusting and horrible and they should be kept outside and my dads taking her side so now when the snow goes they are going back outside there are lots of foxes in my area to and I don’t know what to do they said if I don’t put them outside I need to give them away and I don’t think I can do that what’s would I do also my rooms the cleanests it’s ever been with them inside so they can’t complain there yet they do they say I’m going to catch a disease I tried to explain that they wouldn’t keep me outside so I won’t keep them outside unfortunately they didn’t find that a reason to keep them outside also not aloud vet vists I think the best option is to rehome but they are the best things in the world to me I think about them all day :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Pepperandclover,

I think the greatest danger of putting them outside at this time of year would be the temperature difference. If they get put out in this weather when they're used to the indoors they could freeze to death. What outdoor accommodation do you have available for them? Rabbits need a hutch at least 6ft long x 2ft deep x 2ft tall and a run at least 8ft x 6ft x 3ft. If they have 24/7 access to the run, like mine do, it needs to be 100% dig proof/fox proof/escape proof.

Could you explain this to your parents and see if you can keep them indoors until Spring when the weather starts to warm up, and you have suitable outdoor accommodation for them?

Hi Pepperandclover,

I think the greatest danger of putting them outside at this time of year would be the temperature difference. If they get put out in this weather when they're used to the indoors they could freeze to death. What outdoor accommodation do you have available for them? Rabbits need a hutch at least 6ft long x 2ft deep x 2ft tall and a run at least 8ft x 6ft x 3ft. If they have 24/7 access to the run, like mine do, it needs to be 100% dig proof/fox proof/escape proof.

Could you explain this to your parents and see if you can keep them indoors until Spring when the weather starts to warm up, and you have suitable outdoor accommodation for them?

they have a pets at home two story hutch I have tried to keep it insulated but it’s really cold I live in Ireland so it’s always cold never warm they have also escaped 3 times from there hutch and we are not sure how the doors are secure and a struggle to open nothings loose

they have a pets at home two story hutch I have tried to keep it insulated but it’s really cold I live in Ireland so it’s always cold never warm they have also escaped 3 times from there hutch and we are not sure how the doors are secure and a struggle to open nothings loose

They would also really need a run attached to the hutch so that they can get sufficient exercise. I'm sure that more people on here will advise, but I'd strongly advise you not to put them outside until Winter is over. They won't have their Winter coats so the cold could very easily kill them.

Hi!

Feel free to let your parents know that rabbits are very clean animals, and the suggestion of them giving you a disease is just silly. Unfortunately it sounds like they don't understand much about bunnies at all. Have you tried informing them with what rabbits are actually like? Via Google etc!

I Completely agree with beapig, your bunnies would not have built up a winter coat at all and it's unfair to put them outside in such cold temperatures! Could you not maybe keep them inside till the spring?

I don't mean to come across mean, but I'm also a little concerned why your parents won't allow vet visits. This isn't ideal at all, who cuts their claws to keep them short? And what about vaccinations? Also God forbid but what happened if one fell poorly? Unfortunately all animals need necessary vetinary treatment through their lives and think it's unfair for your parents to say that to you sorry.

Also just to check are they neutered and bonded together?

Last edited:
Hi!

Feel free to let your parents know that rabbits are very clean animals, and the suggestion of them giving you a disease is just silly. Unfortunately it sounds like they don't understand much about bunnies at all. Have you tried informing them with what rabbits are actually like? Via Google etc!

I Completely agree with beapig, your bunnies would not have built up a winter coat at all and it's unfair to put them outside in such cold temperatures! Could you not maybe keep them inside till the spring?

I don't mean to come across mean, but I'm also a little concerned why your parents won't allow vet visits. This isn't ideal at all, who cuts their claws to keep them short? And what about vaccinations? Also God forbid but what happened if one fell poorly? Unfortunately all animals need necessary vetinary treatment through their lives and think it's unfair for your parents to say that to you sorry.

Also just to check are they neutered and bonded together?

If one got sick I would try to treat them my self although I have no veterinarian skills they are also not neutered or bonded but my parents have agreed if they begin to show aggression then they can be neutered I cut there claws to keep them short I have had them for a few months and never cut the quit good news I’m aloud to keep them in until the beginning of spring I’m also quite good at persuading people but my parents know me two well I managed to persuade them to let me bring them to a vet if it’s under £100

Which sex are your rabbits? If they are not bonded, are they living in separate housing?

Sorry but it is actually against the law to withhold veterinary treatment from an animal that needs it. Some vets fees are under £100, some go well into the £1000s I'm afraid. Insurance is a good way of helping with the risk of that.

I'm afraid it would be very dangerous for your rabbits to go outside in the cold now after being inside. Perhaps you could show your parents this site and try to educate them in what is best for the rabbits.

If you do have to rehome them then I would ensure they go to a rescue who can get the best possible home for them.

You hopefully don't have a boy and girl as they will breed of course. Rabbits are very sensitive animals very misunderstood and need to be cared for knowledgeably as they can soon become ill. Pets at Home sell covers for their hutches which aren't brilliant but better than nothing. This is for next winter. Good luck with your rabbits, your parents are not the only ones who don't know a lot about rabbits, sadly.

Thats great that you are allowed to keep them in until the Spring. The ideal time for them to go outside is when the indoor and outdoor temperatures are the same, to minimise the shock of sudden temperature changes which can lead to illness.

Perhaps you could research rabbits and vet costs (vaccinations for one) and bonding rabbits (neutered) and present your parents will well thought out and researched information. It may make it easier for them to agree to vet costs being covered.

A hutch alone is simply not enough space for exercise for one rabbit let alone two. Its great that you have two as they are very social animals and are hardwired to live with others of their own kind.

The trouble with unneutered rabbits (both males and females) is the danger of fights once their hormones start to come in around 4/5 months old. Also unless they have been properly sexed there is the risk of babies. They can mate again as soon as the doe has given birth.

It is clear that you love them very much. Do some research and ask as many questions on here as you like.

I keep my group of 4 neutered/spayed rabbits in a 6 x 6 shed with a permanently attached 7 x 5 run made of strong wood and weldmesh. The run is meshed ontop, on the sides and underneath to prevent escape and to stop predators getting in.

Best of luck.

You've already been given loads of advice but I need you to make it clear to your parents that they are breaking the law if they refuse the rabbits veterinary treatment if they become unwell... this can include refusing vaccines in some cases.

Have a look at the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and make them aware of it. They need to ensure they adheir to it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hello PepperandClover, you obviously really love your rabbits and great that you've found the forum. Where abouts do you live, which area of the country I mean. If you let us know, we can recommend a good vet, or even a local rescue to help out if you decide to rehome them?
Sometimes you can get cheap second hand runs from gumtree and if you find one, you could attach it to the run so when they go out in the spring/summer, they can have more space. Some runs are too small so again, keep an eye out and get a couple which could be joined together. Make sure you get a wooden one though which are safer.
Let us know how you get on and if you need more advice. Are they boys or girls?

Sorry but it is actually against the law to withhold veterinary treatment from an animal that needs it. Some vets fees are under £100, some go well into the £1000s I'm afraid. Insurance is a good way of helping with the risk of that.

I'm afraid it would be very dangerous for your rabbits to go outside in the cold now after being inside. Perhaps you could show your parents this site and try to educate them in what is best for the rabbits.

If you do have to rehome them then I would ensure they go to a rescue who can get the best possible home for them.

THANK YOU SO MUCH my parents apologized and said they done research and discovered rabbits are very fragile im so happy 🤪🤣🤣

You hopefully don't have a boy and girl as they will breed of course. Rabbits are very sensitive animals very misunderstood and need to be cared for knowledgeably as they can soon become ill. Pets at Home sell covers for their hutches which aren't brilliant but better than nothing. This is for next winter. Good luck with your rabbits, your parents are not the only ones who don't know a lot about rabbits, sadly.

Thanks you so much they are allowed to stay!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH my parents apologized and said they done research and discovered rabbits are very fragile im so happy ������

That's great news pepperandclover :) If you ever have any questions about caring for your rabbits then please do post here on Rabbits United. I only joined this forum a few months ago, myself being a new and inexperienced rabbit owner. Everyone is so kind and helpful and I've learnt a lot about looking after my rabbits, it's an amazing community :)

Back