• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats best for bunny

murrimint

Warren Scout
Hi all.:wave:
Im looking for advise on moving my lonely buck pud into the house where at least he will have human company until i manage to find him a lady bun. Ive kept rabbits for years but they have all been outdoor buns but with the recent loss of my dogs i can now house Pud in the house. He currently lives in a converted dog boarding kennel which is heated and covered in perspex during the winter so there wont be a massive temperature change for him inside. What im wondering is will he adapt to life inside and how can i make the move as easy for him as possible. Im hoping to let him free range downstairs as soon as i have bunny prooofed it and when im working im hoping to let him have full range of the dining room. I just want to do the right thing for him as he looks so lonely sat outside by himself but im a little worried about how him (and us) will adapt to bunny in the house. Any help or tips will most gratefully received.:D

I think once he comes inside he would have to stay in until the weather warmed up as even though his kennel is heated it will still be colder outside so perhaps it would be better to find a friend for him now? :)

Im looking for advise on moving my lonely buck pud into the house where at least he will have human company until i manage to find him a lady bun. Ive kept rabbits for years but they have all been outdoor buns but with the recent loss of my dogs i can now house Pud in the house. He currently lives in a converted dog boarding kennel which is heated and covered in perspex during the winter so there wont be a massive temperature change for him inside. What im wondering is will he adapt to life inside and how can i make the move as easy for him as possible. Im hoping to let him free range downstairs as soon as i have bunny prooofed it and when im working im hoping to let him have full range of the dining room. I just want to do the right thing for him as he looks so lonely sat outside by himself but im a little worried about how him (and us) will adapt to bunny in the house. Any help or tips will most gratefully received.:D

As I understand it is easier to bond bunnies in a new place (indoors) and during the winter months. Perhaps that could be part of the consideration?

Aaaww I think this is a splendid idea :)

It's not a problem moving buns in from outside, unless you want to put them outside before the summer weather.

I am sure he will be delighted at the company and things to do and see. I should watch him and see what he does, he will soon establish a routine. It takes my buns all of a day to decide on their routine :lol:

Loads of luck on enjoying your little man indoors xx

Two of ours are indoor buns (singles to be bonded in the future) and both started out as outdoor buns.

Both of them have adapted to living inside no problem, I think it's been us who have needed to get used to things :lol:. Protecting the carpet has been one of the main issues and getting used to the amount of hay traipsed around everywhere. Also not standing on them or leaving the stair gate open (as we have dogs).

All that aside, it is lovely being able to see so much more of them and observe their behaviour. When our Blossom was outside she too looked so lonely by herself, so I love that she's inside with us now.

Good luck x

We had Lopsy inside and he was fine with being inside and then going back out once the weather was consistently warm enough (mid May I think). He enjoyed the company, although we were elsewhere in the house, but he adapted well to both situations :) Having them with you will be fab: I can't do it becuase I find them too distracting :lol:

Hm, no advice, I can just add my experience.

I ran out of hutch space early this summer, so I took my herd buck into the house, since they are free run he already knew that place from passing through now and then, and settled in perfectly - has his litter tray and hay rack in the ante room, and is perfectly housbroken from day 1.

I didn't bunny proof anything, he doesn't gnaw wood or cables. Very different to a doe I had in my apartment for 8 months, every cable (USB are most yummy), power cord (almost succeeded to kill me twice by removing insulation from live cables), airbrush hose etc. got cut up, all plinth, wood and PVC alike got reduced to splinters, and then she started that tunnel straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her. She's still my favorite:love:

I can't tell if it's a male/female thing (none of my buns are neutered), or individual traits. But I think males are not as destructive as females.

lots of good advise

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. I have tried leaving the patio doors open for pud when hes outside free ranging but as of yet hes shown no interest in venturing inside so it looks like i might have to put him in myself and run the risk of a grumpy bunny. I have contacted somone about a lady friend so its possible he will have a new snuggle buddy but in the meantime i think ill bring him inside...the guilt i feel when i look at him all sad and lonely its worth the mess and a possible chewed door, lol. Wish me luck!!!:shock:;)

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. I have tried leaving the patio doors open for pud when hes outside free ranging but as of yet hes shown no interest in venturing inside so it looks like i might have to put him in myself and run the risk of a grumpy bunny. I have contacted somone about a lady friend so its possible he will have a new snuggle buddy but in the meantime i think ill bring him inside...the guilt i feel when i look at him all sad and lonely its worth the mess and a possible chewed door, lol. Wish me luck!!!:shock:;)

:D

Good luck! :wave:

Ah good luck, he's very cute. My rabbit is indoors, which I think if they are on their own then they should be, but I love it. I'm with her every evening when I get home from work and she's there to greet me and also wake me up in the morning by digging on the door for breakfast! I think you see a lot more of their personalities. Let us know how it goes, you can put him back out when it's warmer with his new friend

The main thing to help them feel at home in a new environment (imo) is a dirty litter tray. I always make sure my four move to any new place (we have moved twice in the last few years) with their uncleaned out trays. A familiar smell helps them to feel secure.

Best of luck. Indoor rabbits are great. It is especially cute to watch them together once you have two (or more in my case).

The main thing to help them feel at home in a new environment (imo) is a dirty litter tray. I always make sure my four move to any new place (we have moved twice in the last few years) with their uncleaned out trays. A familiar smell helps them to feel secure.

Best of luck. Indoor rabbits are great. It is especially cute to watch them together once you have two (or more in my case).

Oh yes, we do this too x

Back