• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor or Indoor?

With Willow I tried it both ways (not by choice) - she was indoors initially but my dad soon made her go outside (and in the tiniest hutch you could possibly imagine :(). She was out there for about four years until she had a major episode of stasis which we nearly lost her to (and she had no vet treatment for it either as my dad wouldn't let her go to a vet) when she was able to come indoors. As it was winter and bitterly cold at that point we were thankfully able to keep her indoors but she was supposed to go out when the weather picked up. Through a lot of careful action (such as not drawing attention to her) we were ultimately able to keep her indoors and though he often threatened to put her back out (usually as a punishment if I didn't do what he wanted me to do - much like he later threatened to 'get rid' of my dog) she remained indoors for the rest of her life. I think my Mum played a large part in keeping her indoors too as she often campaigned to keep her indoors.

I was always close to her, she was my only friend (I was home educated and never socialized with other children - nor did I really want to be) but after she came indoors things changed and we just grew closer and closer. She trusted me more, I saw more of her behaviour and we had time to spend together. I always made sure I spent time with her every night and we used to play chasing games. She absolutely loved racing with me and would chase me if I ran through the room, binkying all the way. We developed a really special bond that I could never have had with her if she was outside. It was also easier to see when she was ill as she did have stasis a few times in her life and she was never allowed to see a vet so I had to get her through it every time.
Since then I've become a firm believer in keeping rabbits indoors. Please don't misunderstand me, I know many people still keep them outdoors and have wonderful setups and very happy bunnies. I don't want to sound like I'm judging because I know that it can work very well for some rabbits and owners. But for me personally I would only ever have house rabbits now.
The main reason being that you can develop a much closer relationship with them and spend more time with them, but it's also easier to check on them and notice problems earlier. With the amount of illness (mostly stasis) ours have had having them outside would have made things extremely difficult anyway and probably they would have gone down a lot worse as we wouldn't have caught it as quickly.
That said I am hoping once we've moved house to have a nice run system for them to use on nice warm summer days :D

I suppose alot really depends on the characteristic of the bun (or buns). My bonded pair - Ben & Georgina (sadly both bridge buns recently) were very happy outdoor buns living in their 2 up 2 down residence. Ben liked the high life upstairs, watching the world go by and then spending his nights downstairs cuddled up to Georgina. Given the opportunity to come indoors, Ben declined and disliked being brought in when it was below freezing oustide (we brought them in to the house in winter when the nights were cold). Both were very well behaved when they were indoors and neither was a 'chewie'. However....we recently took on 2 more buns - Lillian and Henry. Lillian has had a few weeks head start on Henry and as she was an indoor bun, we have decided to keep her indoors for winter and move her oustide when it warms up. Lillian is still getting used to us but she is very much a chewie. She's into exploring and has some favorite places to nibble round the house. When we've given her the chance to go outside, she shuns it, chosing the warmer environment of the house. Henry is also a house bun for the time being but he does like the outdoors and is already making a claim on the upstairs penthouse in the rabbit hutch outside where Ben used to like. Henry's not a chewie but he does like to burn off some energy and would probably give usain bolt a run for his money. Once they are both bonded, we will then put them outside in the springtime and will always being them in when the weather turns cold. I believe it is only right and proper for our little companions to feel safe and warm and if that is in the sanctuary of our human houses, then so be it. Rabbits are our companions and I'm sure they also appreciate the human side of us and the care we all share towards them.

My 5 are all outside buns. We have 2 cats inside and wouldn't have a spare room for the buns. My OH would not be keen on inside buns, he's not really a small furries person (although I see him popping out to give greens to the bunnies sometimes, he likes them better than he says really ) and the buns are really my thing. My outdoor set up is great now and the buns all love being out in the runs with the runaround tunnels etc. I love looking out the window whilst I'm, ahem, 'working from home' watching them popping in and out of the runs.
That being said, this winter, for the first time Ive started to envy those with inside buns. I'd love to see them in the house and I do agree that they'd definitely be more part of the family if they were. However my son is slightly allergic to fur, especially rabbits so until he leaves home, they'll always be outside. As he's 11, that's some time off.
One day, when the cats are gone, ill have an inside bunny instead.

My four live outside (insulated shed with an attached run) and have a couple of hours free range time daily which they LOVE.

When I first got Frosty and Snowflake (bucks) they were house rabbits which was lovely. Tessie and Daisy (does) have always lived outside and when I bonded them I was able to give them more space outside.

I now have a guinea pig room (they are on three ikea tables with c and c grids) and if (IF) I could find a way of storing all the stuff on the ground (fleece, hay and loads of general stuff for the pets) I would really like to have the rabbits indoors. Mind you I not sure that they would prefer it. Daisy in particular adores being outdoor.

Back