Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving rabbits in run over night

Forgive what seems like a stupid question but do you have any bike locks?

We had to make a temporary shelter for an injured hen, I fastened the puppy pen to the coop via D shaped lockable bike locks - they were about £6 in Halfords but as Mr Fox has not the keys I was happy that she was safe.

I'm afraid that it wouldn't be fox or dog proof, if a predator was determined enough then it could push or lift the run fairly easily. puppy pens are easily pushed out of shape and many of them including the metal runs have flexible bars that rabbits can push their heads through, getting stuck, or predators paws inserted personally I would make or buy a wooden framed and weldmesh run with wooden framed lid that can be bolted down to the slabs.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I agree with others that it doesn't look secure enough to stop a determined predator unfortunately.

If possible, you could have a wooden run made, maybe one that the existing hutch sits inside? I think that would be the safest option
    Guinea pig slave to Mollie, Lily and Popcorn

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Young Bun

Thanks all,

They have been out in it all day today, even when we were out and seemed to really enjoy it. I’ve realised that what you can’t tell from the photo is that it is attached to the hutch in 6 places. X

Wise Old Thumper

Its good that you are trying to give them extra space - but actually they could do with even more. Lots of ideas in the housing section. Minimum recommended hutch is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, with a permanently attached run of at least L8ft xW6ft x H3ft.

The only safe run is a wooden one with a top on it. Foxes can scale garden fences with no problem and are very determined.

I find puppy panels very flexible: they're not suitable as a permanent outdoor enclosure because they move too much, the sides are easily crushed. I'd also be worried about them getting on to the roof of the hutch therough that gap (bottom right of the picture) and out, or of neighbourhood cats getting in, or foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, crows... :S We had a similar issue with our new dog crate attachment: we (well, the OH) piled bricks all over the side of it to block any gaps they could jump on to (we have a couple of buns who don't look very adventurous 99% of the time and then WHOOM they're off on an unsupervised high-level adventure! ).
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

As others have said I would take extra precautions. Don’t want any predators getting in and with the winter I assume they would be even more determined to get into the run...
    Hello!!