Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving rabbits in run over night

Young Bun

Default Leaving rabbits in run over night

Hi,

This is really 2 questions in 1.

We have just put an extension on our hutch/run so the rabbits have more space to run.

My first question is should I leave my rabbits to hand free run of the run at night or put them back in their hutch (the hutch has pad locked doors, but the extension is just rabbit play pen panels)?

Secondly, with the weather turning so cold wouldnít it be better for them to be in their hutch which had a metal roof and a cover, at the moment the extension has a make shift roof and Iím going to try and work out how to cover it with tarpaulin.

Thanks.

Hi, unless the run is totally predator proof and rabbit escape proof (with a roof and a floor of either concrete, flags or weldmesh under grass) then I wouldn't let them go in it unattended at all, day or night. That's because the rabbits can dig out, or predators can dig in, or climb over the top, and tarp wouldn't stop a fox, dog or cat getting in.

It's great that you are giving them more space, they do need a lot of space permanently available to them as they are active day and night. Wooden framed runs are more secure, we ended up building our own aviary style run with fence posts and wooden framework with weldmesh. To give an example of how determined they were to get out of the 10ft x17ft run they had, they dug out through a 6 inch depth of crushed brick and hardcore topped with playbark after that we meshed the floor with weldmesh before play bark on top!

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Young Bun

Thanks zoobec,

The hutch, run and extension are on a concrete patio and I have built a roof for it. Does that sound any good? X

Wise Old Thumper

Is it possible to put a photo on here which will give us a better idea as to it's safety. Do you know if foxes come into your garden?

Young Bun

Hereís a picture. Ignore the top, it now has a single solid wooden board over the top. I donít think foxes can get in as the garden is blocked in by high fences. We do have a pet coat though. X

Wise Old Thumper

Personally I don't think that is safe enough if a fox gets in. 6' fencing is no problem to them so I would make sure they are in their hutch for the night-time. Are they left in that run during the day? It won't be strong enough to keep a predator out. You need to make it more secure for them.

Young Bun

Thanks tonibun,

Today is the first day they’ve been out on it all day, I am hoping they’ll be ok in it while I’m at work on Monday. How can I make it more secure. X

Wise Old Thumper

Is it a puppy pen?

Young Bun

Yes.

I have just put them in their hutch after they have spent all day being able to have free run between their hutch and run. X

Alpha Buck

Morning, it's great you've added a run, but I don't think I would be comfortable leaving them when I was out, that's not very solid mesh and easily pushed. if it were me, I would put bricks round the bottom all round at least to help keep it secure. I did that even with my wooden run to stop foxes/large cats. I lost a rabbit once to a cat bite, she was free range in the garden, and I was in, by the window checking them, but it's not an experience I want to go through again so I'm ultra careful now. Not that anyone wants to go outside in this snow today!