• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I know when to let Millie go :-(

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Millie has been diagnosed with neurological problems and will not get better. She only has her front left paw that she can use. Other than that she is eating and drinking and is really has bonded with me - I wash her and she washes me. I move her around and carry her about the house. Her bro Dylan has backed off and it seems that he knows that she isn't right.

I am struggling about what to do. Millie is fully aware about her surroundings and looks right at me every day. She is still Millie if you know what I mean. I can't bring myself to take her to the vet and st put her to sleep 😟

I really don't know what to do 🙁 X

I don't think I can say anything to help you decide, but I didn't want to not respond, because I can feel your pain :( I haven't had to do this with many of my rabbits, as they have mostly died naturally, but I unfortunately had to make this decision twice in the last couple of months and I can say that both times I found it incredibly difficult :( People can give you all the reasons why it's necessary to do it, which make absolute sense, but it doesn't take away the devastation and heartbreak that you feel.

People will also say that you will know when it's time, but I'm not convinced that it's always that simple. I would say that's it's easier if the rabbit is in pain or distress, which cannot be relieved, as well as knowing that they cannot recover.

In your situation I would find it incredibly difficult and so I am sending you lots of love and hugs.

I'm so sad you are in this position, my heart breaks for you truely. I have had to make this decision once and I too asked RU for the answer when I would know. The answer I was given was "when the good days out number the bad" and how I rated her quality of life and her interest in food, surroundings. I agree with Omi that it does make it a little easier if your bun is in pain or distress and my girl was :( Don't rush your decision, you know Millie better than anyone and can tell if she is happy and comfortable . I can read the pain and love in your post, sending hugs to you x

Last edited:
Gosh that's really, really hard isn't it :( The approach I've always taken is to consider quality of life through a typical 24 hour period. Is she able to access food/water without you being there? Is she able to shift position to make herself comfy? Is she able to move away from her urine/faeces and keep herself dry and clean? What is she able to do to keep herself stimulated and interested? How much time in a 24 hour period are you spending interacting with her, and how much of the above list is reliant on you being there? It's such a very very hard decision, and personally I think requires a bit of a step back to think about how much time you are *not* with her and what she is or is not able to do during that time she is not with you, as that will give a better sense of her overall quality of life than thinking about how she reacts to you when you are there.

Big hugs, it's the worst decision to have to make xx

Hi. I'm so sorry that Millie has this problem. We had to make the decision to have our Belgian hare Bramble PTS with a similar problem. She was totally with it, eating well and with an interest in us but increasingly she couldn't move her back legs. There was nothing the vet could do. It was very hard decision. I made an appointment only to cancel it as she moved out of her litter tray the night before and I thought it wasn't the right time for her. It was so sad washing her everyday because she did put up a fight as she hated it. There is a tipping point and only you can know when it is kinder to let her rest. Even then you will still question if you made the decision at the right time.
In the end we took her to the OOH vet on a Sunday because she was so upset with me wasing her and she hadn't moved for 2 days. It was heartbreaking at the time but there was some relief (and guilt) mixed up in it. The vet was very kind and gave her a sedative first because she was so lucid and she passed very peacefully.
I hope you can make this kindest decision when you feel it is in her best interest.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Millie has been diagnosed with neurological problems and will not get better. She only has her front left paw that she can use. Other than that she is eating and drinking and is really has bonded with me - I wash her and she washes me. I move her around and carry her about the house. Her bro Dylan has backed off and it seems that he knows that she isn't right.

I am struggling about what to do. Millie is fully aware about her surroundings and looks right at me every day. She is still Millie if you know what I mean. I can't bring myself to take her to the vet and st put her to sleep 😟

I really don't know what to do 🙁 X

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

It's always such a hard decision. I had to make this decision, very similar to what you've described, though the rabbit had a companion. It was difficult and I had to weigh up the quality of life overall, despite the fact that the rabbit seemed very happy to go on. That made it even harder.

I don't know if anything here might help you?

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

http://rabbit.org/end-of-life/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?270142-Quality-of-Life

Back