• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fixing roof membrane?

Graciee

Staff member
Okay so last night my outdoor bun decided to rip apart the lining on the inside of the roof. The roof is wooden and inside is lined with a plasticity membrane? There's a huge hole in it now I cut the hanging bit down in the hopes he'd leave it alone overnight but no such luck, more damage this morning.

Was concerned about how much he consumed but he seems okay.

Now I can buy more and patch it.. But glue toxic? and if I use a staple gun if he rips it off again he could eat the staple or tread on it or something :( anyone have any fixing suggestions? Thanks x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Why would he do it! How long has he been in the hutch as I am wondering he is a bit upset that you are paying lots of attention to your other bunny. Anyway I have no useful advice, you are right in that you cannot use glue. I can't visualise what he has done and how you can mend it. Hopefully someone else has had the same problem and has an answer.

I also can’t imagine what you’re talking about, can’t picture it in my head at all.

Could try no nails? But if he’s that determined to get it off, he’d probably succeed again and then he’d be able to get to the no nails glue... tricky. I don’t have any advice either, have you got some pics of the damage?

I'll upload some pictures shortly my other buns not eating again - I think he wants attention so decided to get my attention haha x

Okay here's the picture, so the black stuff is what he's destroying haha my temporary solution to stop this is I've stuck a cardboard box in there and cut a hole matching the wooden on in the hutch so he has cardboard walls and a ceiling, and I've stuffed it with hay and straw. I realise he's probably gunna destroy the box but I just needed to stop him right now eating the membrane haha. Does the picture help explain what I mean? :) x
2284bb8ec734542ddaf075ae86f1a2b5.jpg

Snow has done a real number on the hutch, his bed is soaked the roof has left in so much water :( he's indoors now, really need to find a way to fix it.

Can you put felt all over it, like sheds have? Is it an ark?
I would suggest felting it too. I would strip that membrane out: it's more trouble than it's worth. Just take a knife all round the edge, that will be enough to do away with it. Left in, it risks making the roof mouldy as you need to weather-protect the outside not just inside, so the wood stays in good condition. I suspect the top of the roof might be joined at the middle, no 'apex' cover, as I had to fit one my little hutch:

1496537_10101486266793228_1737912615565407325_o.jpg

[And of course I don't have a picture of the hutch originally :S]

The join separated and stated letting water in, so I just slapped a bit of felt over and nailed it down (with the correct nails :)). Not leaked since and I must've done this during Lopsy's first winter with us (2014-15). It's not pretty but it is effective :)

I would suggest felting it too. I would strip that membrane out: it's more trouble than it's worth. Just take a knife all round the edge, that will be enough to do away with it. Left in, it risks making the roof mouldy as you need to weather-protect the outside not just inside, so the wood stays in good condition. I suspect the top of the roof might be joined at the middle, no 'apex' cover, as I had to fit one my little hutch:

1496537_10101486266793228_1737912615565407325_o.jpg

[And of course I don't have a picture of the hutch originally :S]

The join separated and stated letting water in, so I just slapped a bit of felt over and nailed it down (with the correct nails :)). Not leaked since and I must've done this during Lopsy's first winter with us (2014-15). It's not pretty but it is effective :)

This is the hutch and a close up of the roof, I've worked out that the roof slats aren't overlapped and it relies on the black membrane on the inside to keep it dry... Which I don't really understand? Because that means that water would be getting between the black membrane and the wood when it rains? :S I've emailed the company but not sure how far that'll get me, only had it since the summer so not very impressed. I may have to felt over the entire roof because it's not leaking at the top, but everywhere... Haha not sure how easy that'll be though as the roof lifts up for cleaning there's not a lot of places to nail the felt to.
35a7153acdc8f482636bc3461e32efd4.jpg
a55e80c0030ed30beb697cd6bc9f064b.jpg

Oh man, that is a TERRIBLE roof design, as I'm sure you're well aware now! You should lay felt across and nail it (using proper roofing tacks) to the two short edges, then leave a lip where you lift it up :thumb: Don't use the cheapest felt you can get, it's not worth the money: get the next-best and that'll last loads longer. So, when you get the roll, roll it along the roof so there's quite a bit hanging down at the back as well, which you could nail to the back of the hutch to secure it. If you want to secure the front I suggest you nail it along the top, not on the little bit of the side as that looks far too fiddly!

Come Summer it might be worth replacing the roof with a single-sheet to make it lighter, but you could retain the lifting mechanism if you wanted.

Oh man, that is a TERRIBLE roof design, as I'm sure you're well aware now! You should lay felt across and nail it (using proper roofing tacks) to the two short edges, then leave a lip where you lift it up :thumb: Don't use the cheapest felt you can get, it's not worth the money: get the next-best and that'll last loads longer. So, when you get the roll, roll it along the roof so there's quite a bit hanging down at the back as well, which you could nail to the back of the hutch to secure it. If you want to secure the front I suggest you nail it along the top, not on the little bit of the side as that looks far too fiddly!

Come Summer it might be worth replacing the roof with a single-sheet to make it lighter, but you could retain the lifting mechanism if you wanted.
I know looks good but it's so flawed haha I've got a tarp over it currently so it could stop getting ruined inside but I may have to felt over the top which kinda sucks, it wasn't cheap. Have to sort something out next week so I can get the bunny back out there. I haven't heard back from company yet either, not sure there'll do anything anyway it's very disappointing though considering how long I've had it and the cost.

Back