Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing roof membrane?

Default Fixing roof membrane?

Okay so last night my outdoor bun decided to rip apart the lining on the inside of the roof. The roof is wooden and inside is lined with a plasticity membrane? There's a huge hole in it now I cut the hanging bit down in the hopes he'd leave it alone overnight but no such luck, more damage this morning.

Was concerned about how much he consumed but he seems okay.

Now I can buy more and patch it.. But glue toxic? and if I use a staple gun if he rips it off again he could eat the staple or tread on it or something anyone have any fixing suggestions? Thanks x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Why would he do it! How long has he been in the hutch as I am wondering he is a bit upset that you are paying lots of attention to your other bunny. Anyway I have no useful advice, you are right in that you cannot use glue. I can't visualise what he has done and how you can mend it. Hopefully someone else has had the same problem and has an answer.

I also canít imagine what youíre talking about, canít picture it in my head at all.

Could try no nails? But if heís that determined to get it off, heíd probably succeed again and then heíd be able to get to the no nails glue... tricky. I donít have any advice either, have you got some pics of the damage?

I'll upload some pictures shortly my other buns not eating again - I think he wants attention so decided to get my attention haha x

Wise Old Thumper

Is this the bunny who has damaged the roof?

Okay here's the picture, so the black stuff is what he's destroying haha my temporary solution to stop this is I've stuck a cardboard box in there and cut a hole matching the wooden on in the hutch so he has cardboard walls and a ceiling, and I've stuffed it with hay and straw. I realise he's probably gunna destroy the box but I just needed to stop him right now eating the membrane haha. Does the picture help explain what I mean? x

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Is this the bunny who has damaged the roof?
    No the naughty bunny who's done this is Atticus my boy. My other bunny Fleur was spayed Wednesday and isn't eating etc x

Snow has done a real number on the hutch, his bed is soaked the roof has left in so much water he's indoors now, really need to find a way to fix it.

Wise Old Thumper

Can you put felt all over it, like sheds have? Is it an ark?

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Can you put felt all over it, like sheds have? Is it an ark?
    I would suggest felting it too. I would strip that membrane out: it's more trouble than it's worth. Just take a knife all round the edge, that will be enough to do away with it. Left in, it risks making the roof mouldy as you need to weather-protect the outside not just inside, so the wood stays in good condition. I suspect the top of the roof might be joined at the middle, no 'apex' cover, as I had to fit one my little hutch:

[And of course I don't have a picture of the hutch originally :S]

The join separated and stated letting water in, so I just slapped a bit of felt over and nailed it down (with the correct nails ). Not leaked since and I must've done this during Lopsy's first winter with us (2014-15). It's not pretty but it is effective
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.