• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

Alicia

Mama Doe
It seems to be one thing after another with Izzy at the moment! I've noticed tiny little red scabs on the bottom of her back feet, does this sound like sore hocks? They live on a vinyl floor with litter trays full of hay, if I put a fleece blanket stretched across the vinyl would that help? What can I put on her feet?

Yes, it does sound like the beginning of sore hocks. It may not actually be the flooring that is causing it, but something like Arthritis, which is causing her tio put uneven pressure on her hocks. Before trying to rectify it by changing the flooring, I would get her checked by a vet to make sure that there isn't something else causing the issue.

She is being given metacam for arthritis, would it be worth taking her back? Could they give her anything else?

I would take her back and discuss the sore hocks. In particular I would want the vet to confirm first that her Arthritis is the likely cause and then if that is confirmed, to discuss what further medication could be given to help her. To answer your question, yes she could be given additional drugs to help the Arthritis, but I would want confirmation first that they were warranted.

Sorry to hear this, yes it does sound like sore hocks which are a pain to treat IME but don't despair. What breed is she?

First stop - vets. Then depending on what they say, think about flooring. Cotton is preferable to fleece and padding is a good idea too (maybe a cotton sheet on top of the fleece?). A user on here (MightyMax) once made some little socks for her bun. I love that idea.

Back