• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still sneezing, new medication

ello mate, sorry to take ages to reply! work and that :( aha

shes fine just rang the vet.... hes not too happy with us by the sounds of it but o well, hes looking in to another medicen
which I think (bar me mishearing what it was called but will double check) isn't on this list you sent me

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

fingers crossed it works, just waiting for a call back to see if they can get it

ello mate, sorry to take ages to reply! work and that :( aha

shes fine just rang the vet.... hes not too happy with us by the sounds of it but o well, hes looking in to another medicen
which I think (bar me mishearing what it was called but will double check) isn't on this list you sent me

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

fingers crossed it works, just waiting for a call back to see if they can get it

Glad to hear she is OK :)

Sorry your vet isn't too happy, but you are paying him for a service, so I guess you're entitled to query something if you're worried about it? ;)

Thank you! :) shes still sneezy and in need of something tho!

I think the new one is called Trimethoprim (kind of a older drug apparently) but I may of misheard,

and I agree completely! better to slightly annoy him then harm marnie! plus he should be happy there getting a extra £14 pound from me lol

Thank you! :) shes still sneezy and in need of something tho!

I think the new one is called Trimethoprim (kind of a older drug apparently) but I may of misheard,

and I agree completely! better to slightly annoy him then harm marnie! plus he should be happy there getting a extra £14 pound from me lol

Yes, Trimethoprim Sulpha is a well established drug. I am sure you are right :)

he said less risk, but might mean not as good results.. trying this willbetter then putting marnie at a unessasery risk in my eyes

thank you max :D

What dose rate of baytril has been given? The text books often say 5-10mg/kg twice a day - my vet prescribes 20mg/kg once a day and finds it very effective at this higher dose. Its mode of action is dependent on peak concentration so a higher dose once a day is more effective than a lower dose twice a day. If the swab showed sensitivity to baytril it may be better to discuss sticking to it but at a different dose. Sulfatrim is inactivated by pus so tends not to work well for snotty/nasal type infections as it can't get to the root of the infection. Good luck with your little one x

Hey max!!! She’s still sneezing bless her, still waiting for the new Medicean tho! Hopefully Wednesday :) But we’ve moved her and Declan from the kitchen to living room so she seems happy she has more space to run about! And a tad warmer :D

But I’ve noticed that she licks her hutch bars a lot, and Declan doesn’t so gonna give them a clean mabey that’s something to do with the bacteria, probs not but can’t hurt ayy!

Hey max!!! She’s still sneezing bless her, still waiting for the new Medicean tho! Hopefully Wednesday :) But we’ve moved her and Declan from the kitchen to living room so she seems happy she has more space to run about! And a tad warmer :D

But I’ve noticed that she licks her hutch bars a lot, and Declan doesn’t so gonna give them a clean mabey that’s something to do with the bacteria, probs not but can’t hurt ayy!

Your right, the licking is unlikely to be related to the bacteria.

I am glad she is enjoying her life with at the moment though :)

Do you find the sneezing is the same whichever room/place she is in?

She’s loving the extra running space aha :)

And yeah sneezing where where ever she settles down, he only time she’s not is if she’s running about or sitting on my lap!

Back