• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still sneezing, new medication

Ross

Warren Scout
so Marnie is still sneezing bless her been just over a month now and the vet has found from the nose swab there more bacteria in her nose then most rabbits,
after a couple of failed attempts using baytril, we have now received the Cephalexin antibiotics, anybody have any experience with this? apparently it might make her poos abit runny but I hope this works for her!

so Marnie is still sneezing bless her been just over a month now and the vet has found from the nose swab there more bacteria in her nose then most rabbits,
after a couple of failed attempts using baytril, we have now received the Cephalexin antibiotics, anybody have any experience with this? apparently it might make her poos abit runny but I hope this works for her!

Are you giving the Cephalexin orally? You are injecting, yes? ..

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

It's one we used to use in the old days .. Are the bacteria sensitive to it? Are there other antibiotics that it might be sensitive to?

To be fair (and I remember saying this before), I don't find systemic antibiotics good at getting rid of nasal bacteria. Nebulising and bisolvon are good, in my view. I have also been referred to use alternative treatments which have been highly successful in the absence of antibiotics (and of course only with vet's referral)

well vets prescribed it, as he cant think of what else to do, with the baytril failing, and no signs of a forigen object lodged in her nose, its the step he was willing to try on her at this stage after his research

and yes orally, its just how I was told to give it to her, I don't think id be able to ingect it in to her

well vets prescribed it, as he cant think of what else to do, with the baytril failing, and no signs of a forigen object lodged in her nose, its the step he was willing to try on her at this stage after his research

and yes orally, its just how I was told to give it to her, I don't think id be able to ingect it in to her

Please read the two articles I posted above.

***Cephalexin is for injection only ***

It's for injection, as it can cause antibiotic induced diarrhoea if given by mouth. One of my rabbits experienced antibiotic induced diarrhoea having been given an inappropriate antibiotic by mouth. It took me 11 days of intense nursing round the clock, with lots of supportive therapy to save him from the c.diff that the antibiotics (given and dispensed by the vet) had caused.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

Last edited:
oh my now I'm really concerned! I already gave her first dose! ill ring my vet in the morning! :(

oh my now I'm really concerned! I already gave her first dose! ill ring my vet in the morning! :(

Ring the vet before you give any more, please!

And ... do think about your vet and their knowledge of rabbits. You can always seek a second opinion from another vet?

she should be okay after just one 1.4ml dose right?

Just don't give any more!

Sorry to shout, but after my first post I was concerned you hadn't taken it on board. Difficult when a Forum member like myself (who's totally unqualified) goes against what a vet says, but I do have first hand experience of antibiotic induced Enterotoxemia in Rabbits ...

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/enterotoxemia

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/enterotoxemia

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1799&aid=2581

oh ive taken it all on board and done the research on the internet and the link you sent me (thank you very much)
I'm just really concerned about the 1 does I have given her earlier today :/

thank you for the advise tho :)

oh ive taken it all on board and done the research on the internet and the link you sent me (thank you very much)
I'm just really concerned about the 1 does I have given her earlier today :/

thank you for the advise tho :)

One thing I had to do to get my rabbit back on track was to get a prescription for Questran. It's a human medication, and is very useful in the kind of cases of diarrhoea we are talking about.

http://www.globalrph.com/cholestyramine.htm

If you suspect she has diarrhoea, or even going off her food, then I should ask your vet about a prescription which you can get in any 'human' pharmacy.

However, if it were me, I would seriously think about going to a different vet if you think she is poorly in the next day or so. That's what I did. The vet that gave me the inappropriate antibiotics and caused the c.diff enterotoxemia was definitely not the one I sought treatment from (and got the questran) that saved my rabbit's life. I had no idea about these things 25 years or so ago when this happened to me, but I managed to search and find something which was extremely lucky :)

She will probably be quite OK, and I really hope so, and you are most welcome for any info I can give to help :)

just rang my vets, and the nurse wasn't to much help, so I rang a 2nd vet and they said that this Cephalexin syrup is what they stock and its oral
ive not given her dosage today
I'm so frustrated with all this I just want Marnie to stop sneezing and be OK

just rang my vets, and the nurse wasn't to much help, so I rang a 2nd vet and they said that this Cephalexin syrup is what they stock and its oral
ive not given her dosage today
I'm so frustrated with all this I just want Marnie to stop sneezing and be OK

Is that a 2nd vet within the practice, or an entirely different practice?

it was a different vet in a different practice within a complete differently company,

also waiting for a call back from the other vets that I asked

it was a different vet in a different practice within a complete differently company,

also waiting for a call back from the other vets that I asked

Did the 'new' vet you called also recommend the cephalexin syrup orally for rabbits?

they wouldn't comment on what to give a rabbit that they've not seen, but said that it is a antibiotic that they use as well

right spoke to a rabbit savy vet from Sevenoaks that I got off the number, and agreed that the concerns and risks, but said with out speaking to my vet about the compelt reasoning's for the medication he cant say it was wrong, just not what he would do (unless theres a reason I haven't understood or heard), but also said that injecting is a lot safer.... as I already knew from what you had informed me :)

so now she's going back on her baytrill as of right now until Tuesday when I can finally speak to my actual vet that's been dealing with Marnie, about it all and the possibility of injecting? or other meds? any helpful questions you think might be worth me asking?

Thank you for your help I'm so glad I got to speak to you after just 1 does of the medicine and not a fair way into the course of treatment!!

right spoke to a rabbit savy vet from Sevenoaks that I got off the number, and agreed that the concerns and risks, but said with out speaking to my vet about the compelt reasoning's for the medication he cant say it was wrong, just not what he would do (unless theres a reason I haven't understood or heard), but also said that injecting is a lot safer.... as I already knew from what you had informed me :)

so now she's going back on her baytrill as of right now until Tuesday when I can finally speak to my actual vet that's been dealing with Marnie, about it all and the possibility of injecting? or other meds? any helpful questions you think might be worth me asking?

Thank you for your help I'm so glad I got to speak to you after just 1 does of the medicine and not a fair way into the course of treatment!!

You're very welcome Ross :)

I hope Marnie is OK? I am assuming so ..

It's been an - interesting? - time with the answers you've got from other vets concerning that medication!

Are there any other antibiotics that have been shown to be sensitive to that bacteria, as I think you've had a culture and sensitivity test done on the swab, haven't you?

As I mentioned before, nebulising and bisolvon (to thin the mucous) are good things for snotty noses. Would you consider either of those?

yeah mixed bag of answers form the vets lol!

shes seems it I thought u was a bit sleepy, but I was checking her a lot more, then I open the cage and she gave me the run around the living room misbehaving, so just her normal self!

I have no Idea to be honest about the other antibiotics or what bacteria types are in her nose, I had the swab done but not a in depth explanation about the results! she doesn't have a snotty nose, no symptoms apart from constant sneezing, but I will try anthing to help cure her, providing it dosent cause a risk for her

yeah mixed bag of answers form the vets lol!

shes seems it I thought u was a bit sleepy, but I was checking her a lot more, then I open the cage and she gave me the run around the living room misbehaving, so just her normal self!

I have no Idea to be honest about the other antibiotics or what bacteria types are in her nose, I had the swab done but not a in depth explanation about the results! she doesn't have a snotty nose, no symptoms apart from constant sneezing, but I will try anthing to help cure her, providing it dosent cause a risk for her

Well you know, if she doesn't have white snot pouring from her nose (and even if she has) I wouldn't go for more systemic antibiotics. I would nebulise with saline quite frequently and use the Bisolvon, which the vet can give you.

I have had a sneezy bun. He's also had the white snots. Antibiotics didn't do it for him, and I eventually stabilised him (with no symptoms) with nebulising, bisolvon and some alternative treatments recommended by a vet.

I would keep the antibiotics for when she might really need them.

Now I may get totally shot down by others for my view point, but there it is :)

Back