• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging Burrow

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
i haven't been here in a while. All is well with the two buns - they bonded well and are living the life.

They have an Amish-built double hutch with an 8x8 run built onto it. Both compartments are filled with straw and the sides are covered with bubble wrap and a tarp to keep the wind out. It has a ramp so they can go up into their hutch or run through their tunnel, hop on chairs/stairs on the ground below. They get out into a very large yard for part of every day to free range.

Leroy has been digging a burrow again. He did it in the summer and I let him for a while, then filled it back in. He dug it again and I can't figure out how deep it is. I tried measuring with the broom handle, but I'm not hitting any wall, so I guess it's fairly deep/long. He's always muddy from digging and they both fly up and down the hole.

Question is, will they sleep down there? Why does he does this? Will they tunnel the entire yard (1/4 acre)?

These little creatures confuse the snot out of me!!!

He does it because it’s natural for a rabbit to dig.

Yes they potentially will sleep and stay down there if it’s big enough so I’d be careful as they may use this to their advantage. I wouldn’t be letting them dig a burrow, it causes a lot of problems especially if you can’t get them out. Is he digging in the run? Or when free ranging?

They never seem to want to leave the yard. The gate has accidentally been left open by a grandchild and if Leroy hops out, he hops right back in. But I've been wondering how far they will go underground. He's in/out of the hole often, but when i go out to feed in the evening, he's just hanging out in the pen and running up/down the ramp to get his food.

Back