• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of bonded pair died

Hi, I had two bonded Netherland dwarf rabbits that live in the garden. Sadly the male rabbit died yesterday. I feel so sorry for the one that's left as they spent a lot of time cuddled up and grooming each other. The one that is left is nearly seven. To be honest we were not planning on getting anymore rabbits after these ones so unless I could find one a similar age that needs re-homing I don't think that's an option. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on how to stop her being lonely.
Thank you

So sorry to hear that :( if there’s a rescue near you they might just have a suitable bunny, your remaining bunny could still live for a number of years so would benefit from a companion. In the meantime I’ve seen people recommend giving them a soft toy to snuggle up with.

I'm so sorry :cry:some rescues will rehome on the basis that the rabbit will come back to them after the loss of your existing rabbit. Is your remaining rabbit neutered/spayed and vaccinated for myxomatosis/vhd1 and the new vaccine for vhd2?

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I was going to suggest the same as others have - contact rescues and ask if they have any older rabbits, and even whether they'd allow you to foster so you could return the rabbit to rescue should yours pass away.

I think loneliness wise - just offering comfort if it's wanted. Maybe a heat pad to help with warmth?

Thanks everyone - I think I will contact a rescue and see if any similar age as reading up she may I’ve got a few more years. She’s been fine all day but hate to think of her on her own when she is used to cuddling up.

Back