• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit runs off with food?

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi I’ve googled this and cannot find an answer! My rabbit has started running away when I give him certain foods like basil. He takes it and runs off up the stairs with it every time. Doesn’t do it with everything . It’s only me and him so he’s got no threat although he does sleep on the stairs where he takes it? He also has an open cage down stairs where he gets fed! Just wondering the logic behind this for rabbits?!

It's possibly his high value food and he wants to ensure its not taken or at risk.

Phoebe does it all the time... she wastes loads of time running around trying to find the best place to eat. By the time she settles to eat Daphne has finished and then begins her hunt to steal from Phoebe.

Again it's not done with everything, only the best most tastes foods and only the bits that can't be easily eaten in one or two bites.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's possibly his high value food and he wants to ensure its not taken or at risk.

Phoebe does it all the time... she wastes loads of time running around trying to find the best place to eat. By the time she settles to eat Daphne has finished and then begins her hunt to steal from Phoebe.

Again it's not done with everything, only the best most tastes foods and only the bits that can't be easily eaten in one or two bites.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
This is exactly the same as my two. We was laughing so hard at Millie trying all different places to eat her dandelion root. She was running around with it in her mouth. Then Toby snatched it :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Pretty normal behaviour; I've had one of my lot leg it down two 6 foot Runaround tubes with a carrot, around the run and back up one of the tubes again before she ate it. Very funny to watch.

Autumnleaf does this, only with her treats which she really only occasionally gets, though! Doesn't do it with veg or anything. It's so funny :lol:

Same here. Whenever I give Willow and Charlie their vegetables, Charlie always grabs the tastiest bit (his favourite is baby sweetcorn, second favourite sweet pepper) and runs off with it to a "safe place". He did this even when he was on his own and there was no chance of Willow nicking his food, not that she does that anyway.

Back