• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivermectin and dutch rabbits?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone :)
Something I've been meaning to ask for a while but haven't got around to.. Is it safe to use ivermectin on all rabbits? I remember reading some time ago that certain rabbits (trying to remember now.. I think it was any that can carry the Vienna gene such as BEW's etc but think there were specific breeds on the list. I know dutch was definitely amongst them as I remember being concerned as Jazzie is a dutch) can have a bad reaction to ivermectin like dogs in the sheepdog family can due to the MDR1 gene.
Does anyone know if it's safe to use ivermectin on all rabbits or if caution should be used on certain breeds?
I've been meaning to ask for a while but thought of it as tonight we've just discovered poor Honey has fur mites (her back is mostly clear but there's a cluster of them on her head :( Somehow I've missed them and I feel terrible as there are a few there so they can't have appeared overnight :(). So far I haven't seen any on anyone else and Jazzie's in another room anyway but would like to be prepared as I'm pretty sure if she did pick them up the vet would put her on ivermectin too. I'm slightly worried she might tell me to just treat everyone anyway.
Just want to be prepared in case as I'd rather know ahead of time if it would be unsafe for her.
Is there a non-ivermectin based alternative for mites? The only ones I've ever seen (that are rabbit-safe) all seem to be ivermectin based.

Edit: I've found the old webpage (well, the address at least) that I read it on, but unfortunately the page has been taken down. However I did find someone quoting from it on another rabbit forum (one that I personally avoid wherever possible as it's mainly breeders on there :censored:)
Quote: "Ivermectin - Often used to treat parasite problems. The correct dosage of ivermectin should be given as 1/10 cc per 5lbs of body weight. (Do not give to Mini Rex, German Angoras, Flemish Giants, Dutch, Silver Fox, Hotot breeds, or any rabbits that are Blue-Eyed Whites/ Vienna Carriers. Theses rabbits have a genetic mutation (MDR1) in a protein that is a part of the blood brain barrier, thus allowing the medication to travel to the brain and cause severe neurological damage, seizures, blindness, and/or death.)"
Original source: obsidianrabbitry.webs.com/health.htm
(Update: I've just found an archived page using the WaybackMachine - can be seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150509052728/obsidianrabbitry.webs.com/health.htm ***Includes distressing images of rabbits with various health conditions*** Also mentions of 'culling' :cry:)

Last edited:
There are alternative treatments for the at risk breeds. A vet visit is best :) x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Could you not contact the manufacturer and ask - not sure how you would go about it but surely they would have the definitive answer.

Hey everyone :)
Something I've been meaning to ask for a while but haven't got around to.. Is it safe to use ivermectin on all rabbits? I remember reading some time ago that certain rabbits (trying to remember now.. I think it was any that can carry the Vienna gene such as BEW's etc but think there were specific breeds on the list. I know dutch was definitely amongst them as I remember being concerned as Jazzie is a dutch) can have a bad reaction to ivermectin like dogs in the sheepdog family can due to the MDR1 gene.
Does anyone know if it's safe to use ivermectin on all rabbits or if caution should be used on certain breeds?
I've been meaning to ask for a while but thought of it as tonight we've just discovered poor Honey has fur mites (her back is mostly clear but there's a cluster of them on her head :( Somehow I've missed them and I feel terrible as there are a few there so they can't have appeared overnight :(). So far I haven't seen any on anyone else and Jazzie's in another room anyway but would like to be prepared as I'm pretty sure if she did pick them up the vet would put her on ivermectin too. I'm slightly worried she might tell me to just treat everyone anyway.
Just want to be prepared in case as I'd rather know ahead of time if it would be unsafe for her.
Is there a non-ivermectin based alternative for mites? The only ones I've ever seen (that are rabbit-safe) all seem to be ivermectin based.

Edit: I've found the old webpage (well, the address at least) that I read it on, but unfortunately the page has been taken down. However I did find someone quoting from it on another rabbit forum (one that I personally avoid wherever possible as it's mainly breeders on there :censored:)
Quote: "Ivermectin - Often used to treat parasite problems. The correct dosage of ivermectin should be given as 1/10 cc per 5lbs of body weight. (Do not give to Mini Rex, German Angoras, Flemish Giants, Dutch, Silver Fox, Hotot breeds, or any rabbits that are Blue-Eyed Whites/ Vienna Carriers. Theses rabbits have a genetic mutation (MDR1) in a protein that is a part of the blood brain barrier, thus allowing the medication to travel to the brain and cause severe neurological damage, seizures, blindness, and/or death.)"
Original source: obsidianrabbitry.webs.com/health.htm
(Update: I've just found an archived page using the WaybackMachine - can be seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150509052728/obsidianrabbitry.webs.com/health.htm ***Includes distressing images of rabbits with various health conditions*** Also mentions of 'culling' :cry:)

I've found this article which might be helpful?

https://www.antigifcentrum.be/sites/default/files/imce/Poster_Ivermectin_vs03b_2014.pdf

Back