• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding

vortex315

New Kit
We have 2 rabbits, 1 male lion head and 1 female loop. The male is a little over a year old and the female is around 6 months. Both rabbit are close in size. We have the male fixed about 1 month ago. We slowly introduced them together every day via neutral space. The male rabbit spent about 5-9 days mounting her and she was trying to avoid it. We read this is normal and one has to be dominate so we thought he would be. After those days she started to grunt and nip at him which we also read was normal. No real fighting looked like it was happening so we let it happen.

She now seems like the dominate one and he is very passive when she is grunting and she has become territorial and doesnt even let him mount her at all. They would lay next to each other and explore seperate and over seemed fine. My GF said that she thought they were grooming each other at one point as well. And they have even eaten out of the same spot. We decided about 5 days ago to put them in the same cage which is a double story one. All her stuff on the bottom all his stuff on the top and at night we block off the path way up. The other night we let them be together completely and everything seemed fine. We found him mounting her and she seemed to allow it so we thought maybe they are fine together now.

However lately she has been pulling out her hair which we read could me false pregnant and she is also very territorial too. She seems to be building a nest at the very top of cage(what was his spot). At night today I heard more noise then most so I went to check it out and he keeps trying to mount her every once and a while and she will grunt and run away. After a little bit she gets sick of it and nips at him. She seems to grunt quite a bit if he comes close to her, not always doing anything but grunting alot.

My question is should we be concerned or maybe keep them blocked off at night again? I dont want him to get injured or too stressed because she is bullying him too much and also dont want him to just chase her around all night trying to mount her either. I cant tell if they are bonded correctly or not. They are not always like this however with her going through "teens" years right now and also false pregnancy going on I am not sure how normal or not this all is. Any info would help!

Has your female been neutered?

It's possible she's having a false pregnancy from all the mounting.
There is also a small chance she is actually pregnant - sperm can remain viable in male rabbits up to 7/8 weeks post neuter.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

She is not no, and yea I was wondering that too. Semi worried she is but more worried about the bonding and how to know if they are for sure ok to leave together unblocked at night

She is not no, and yea I was wondering that too. Semi worried she is but more worried about the bonding and how to know if they are for sure ok to leave together unblocked at night

It would be much better to have her spayed - both from the point of view of bonding and her future health (high risk of uterine cancer in un-spayed females). I would abandon any idea of bonding until she has been neutered and given time to recover - otherwise you could ruin any chance you have of bonding them.

How soon after his neuter did you put them together? I would agree with others that there is a good chance she is pregnant.

It doesn'r sound sensible to leave them together overnight, they are not properly bonded and a terrible fight could ensue. IF she is pregnant and has babies and they are together, she could get pregnant again as soon as babies are born, then you would have 2 litters! Both rabbits are young so there shouldn't be too much trouble in bonding, but some does are too hormonal and need to be spayed before they can bond. All Does need spaying for health reasons. I would keep both rabbits separate for a few weeks now so that they can calm down and hopefully, if she is not pregnant, you can bond them properly in a neutral space, without separating them, as this tends to frustrate any attempts at bonding. But preferably the Doe should be spayed for a more harmonious pairing, as she could get broody at any time and pester the boy terribly, which is not pleasant for him as he can't get her pregnant!

How soon after his neuter did you put them together? I would agree with others that there is a good chance she is pregnant.

1 Month after he was fixed we start to slowly introduce them, another week after that we put them together but blocked at night. So Maybe we seperate them again until we know she is pregnant or false then get her fixed too. Thanks for the info, it is very hard to tell sometimes if they are ok or not so I just want to make sure we do it right so they are fine!

Back