• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft Hay

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a cheap, really soft hay that I can buy in bulk online?

At the moment I have lots of hay from timothyhay.co.uk. It makes great 'feed' hay, as it's so luscious and good quality, but it's quite hard and stalky.

I want something I can use to line sheds / playhouses, that's lovely and soft, but won't break the bank and in turn use less of the more expensive hay.

Thanks x

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a cheap, really soft hay that I can buy in bulk online?

At the moment I have lots of hay from timothyhay.co.uk. It makes great 'feed' hay, as it's so luscious and good quality, but it's quite hard and stalky.

I want something I can use to line sheds / playhouses, that's lovely and soft, but won't break the bank and in turn use less of the more expensive hay.

Thanks x

I use baled hay. Can you get any nearby? :wave:

As MM has suggested, if you can find a equine supplier they are likely to have a meadow hay which is softer than the Timothyhay

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yes, baled hay from equestrian feed merchants will be your cheapest option. My buns have always preferred it to rhe expensive stuff as well!

Thanks for the replies.

We do have a tack and feed shop down the road, but the lady mentioned in passing (when we were buying regular hay) that what they have / use (for their horses, I think) is really dusty. Is this usually the case? x

No, not always dusty, but I have to be careful which ones I buy because they're sometimes stored in the damp. With our current bales, the bunnies eat all the stalky stuff adn sit on the leftover soft stuff :thumb:

Thanks for the replies.

We do have a tack and feed shop down the road, but the lady mentioned in passing (when we were buying regular hay) that what they have / use (for their horses, I think) is really dusty. Is this usually the case? x

No because most horse owners wouldn't touch dusty hay with a barge pole.probably either a story to get you to continue buying expensive packaged stuff ;) or they have a bad batch. I would look a bit further afield if I were you. When I buy hay I always pull a bit out the middle of the bale and sniff it first :thumb:

Thanks for the replies.

Not at all, far from it :)

Horses need good quality hay, and I find it soft and comfortable for the rabbits, as well as delicious :)

I've had bad experiences with equestrian hay locally (but this was quite a long time ago). Dusty and also my rabbits got mites, so I used Pure Pastures as soft hay. I think I was just unlucky!

Back