Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Hay

Default Soft Hay

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a cheap, really soft hay that I can buy in bulk online?

At the moment I have lots of hay from timothyhay.co.uk. It makes great 'feed' hay, as it's so luscious and good quality, but it's quite hard and stalky.

I want something I can use to line sheds / playhouses, that's lovely and soft, but won't break the bank and in turn use less of the more expensive hay.

Thanks x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a cheap, really soft hay that I can buy in bulk online?

At the moment I have lots of hay from timothyhay.co.uk. It makes great 'feed' hay, as it's so luscious and good quality, but it's quite hard and stalky.

I want something I can use to line sheds / playhouses, that's lovely and soft, but won't break the bank and in turn use less of the more expensive hay.

Thanks x

I use baled hay. Can you get any nearby?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

Alpha Buck

As MM has suggested, if you can find a equine supplier they are likely to have a meadow hay which is softer than the Timothyhay

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

If you can't get hay bales locally then I'd recommend the superhay bale from time for paws https://www.timeforpaws.co.uk/dust-e...d-super-hay.ir

It's 15-20kg. My most recent one wasn't great unfortunately but the three before that were really really good, lovely and soft
    Guinea pig slave to Mollie, Lily and Popcorn

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Yes, baled hay from equestrian feed merchants will be your cheapest option. My buns have always preferred it to rhe expensive stuff as well!

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Thanks for the replies.

We do have a tack and feed shop down the road, but the lady mentioned in passing (when we were buying regular hay) that what they have / use (for their horses, I think) is really dusty. Is this usually the case? x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

No, not always dusty, but I have to be careful which ones I buy because they're sometimes stored in the damp. With our current bales, the bunnies eat all the stalky stuff adn sit on the leftover soft stuff
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Thanks for the replies.

We do have a tack and feed shop down the road, but the lady mentioned in passing (when we were buying regular hay) that what they have / use (for their horses, I think) is really dusty. Is this usually the case? x
    No because most horse owners wouldn't touch dusty hay with a barge pole.probably either a story to get you to continue buying expensive packaged stuff or they have a bad batch. I would look a bit further afield if I were you. When I buy hay I always pull a bit out the middle of the bale and sniff it first

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Thanks for the replies.

Not at all, far from it

Horses need good quality hay, and I find it soft and comfortable for the rabbits, as well as delicious
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

Wise Old Thumper

I've had bad experiences with equestrian hay locally (but this was quite a long time ago). Dusty and also my rabbits got mites, so I used Pure Pastures as soft hay. I think I was just unlucky!