• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat guinea pig muesli?

jojosmum

Young Bun
Hi, does anyone know if it’s ok to feed a rabbit some guinea pig muesli? Having difficulty finding rabbit muesli at our usual shop. Guinea pig muesli seems to be the only type available. Our bun enjoys a good varied diet with lots of hay but we usually give him a little drop of muesli each day, alternating this with a little drop of nuggets.

If someone could confirm, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Guinea pig food is normally very similar to rabbit food, but it will have vitamin C added, that rabbits don't need added to their food. Can you not just use the pellet food only?

Last edited:
Hi Sarah, thanks for that.

Yes I could use pellets only, but Mr P quite enjoys a little bit of muesli every other day;)

We kept our rabbit Toffy and her companion guinea pig Fudge together for about 5 years until the guinea pig died of old age. Toffie often nicked some of Fudge's food and we never had any heath problems with her. So from a nutritional point of of view it might not be ideal but it certainly should not be harmful.

Both animals have a similar diet, as SarahP said guinea pigs food has added vitamin C.

Why bother with it if it isn't necessary though? I wouldn't give an animal extra vitamin C that it doesn't need.

There isn't a problem with rabbits having a bit of extra vitamin C - it's water soluble and any surplus will be excreted in the urine. It's added to guinea pig food as they can't make it from other components in the diet, whereas rabbits can. It is also why g pig food is more expensive than comparable rabbit food. I wouldn't have an issue with rabbits having small amounts of G Pig food as a treat if I had some spare, as long as the rest of the diet was well balanced. There are much worse things to give them which are sold as rabbit treats (eg yogurt drops), although I would be more likely to look for some forage (eg dandelion or bramble leaves) instead.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post :D

We did buy some guinea pig muesli of which Mr P will get a very small amount as a treat.

There isn't a problem with rabbits having a bit of extra vitamin C - it's water soluble and any surplus will be excreted in the urine. It's added to guinea pig food as they can't make it from other components in the diet, whereas rabbits can. It is also why g pig food is more expensive than comparable rabbit food. I wouldn't have an issue with rabbits having small amounts of G Pig food as a treat if I had some spare, as long as the rest of the diet was well balanced. There are much worse things to give them which are sold as rabbit treats (eg yogurt drops), although I would be more likely to look for some forage (eg dandelion or bramble leaves) instead.
This

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back