Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh Wet Grass

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I agree with others, I think it's perfectly fine to give wet grass.

Btw, not to be insensitive, but if the person had had problems in the past, then she may no longer have a rabbit to vaccinate
    No - maybe I wasn't clear. She said as none of her rabbits have ever caught myxamatosis or RVHD1 and 2 previously (ie no past problems) she didn't see the point in vaccinating.

Thank You Jack's-Jane for my lovely new signature.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    No - maybe I wasn't clear. She said as none of her rabbits have ever caught myxamatosis or RVHD1 and 2 previously (ie no past problems) she didn't see the point in vaccinating.
    Yes, I understood that What I meant was, that if people decided to wait and see whether their rabbits ever caught Myx or RVHD 1/2, as criteria to help them decide whether or not to vaccinate, it might be too late for that decision anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, I understood that What I meant was, that if people decided to wait and see whether their rabbits ever caught Myx or RVHD 1/2, as criteria to help them decide whether or not to vaccinate, it might be too late for that decision anyway.
    Sorry, it was me that misunderstood then.

This person has rabbits currently. By the very nature of some of some of her posts, I (possibly wrongly) assume she's a breeder.

So I used a few of every ones ideas and replied as follows:-

"I'm sorry but that is incorrect.

A pet rabbit's digestive system and nutritional needs are the same as a wild rabbits.

Clearly pet rabbits should not be allowed on grass that has been treated (weedkiller/lawnfood etc) and if a pet rabbit is not used to regular grass then they should be introduced to it gradually (whether wet or dry) but with rabbits who have constant access to grass there should not be a problem.

After all it is recommended to wet grass, herbs and veg when bunnies are poorly to help keep them hydrated."

And she replied thus:-

"absolutely disagree-washing greens is completely different from giving wet grass-if you want to expose your rabbits at risk-at least do not advise others to do that"

I'm shocked and have not responded further.

Sorry, it was me that misunderstood then.

This person has rabbits currently. By the very nature of some of some of her posts, I (possibly wrongly) assume she's a breeder.

So I used a few of every ones ideas and replied as follows:-

"I'm sorry but that is incorrect.

A pet rabbit's digestive system and nutritional needs are the same as a wild rabbits.

Clearly pet rabbits should not be allowed on grass that has been treated (weedkiller/lawnfood etc) and if a pet rabbit is not used to regular grass then they should be introduced to it gradually (whether wet or dry) but with rabbits who have constant access to grass there should not be a problem.

After all it is recommended to wet grass, herbs and veg when bunnies are poorly to help keep them hydrated."

And she replied thus:-

"absolutely disagree-washing greens is completely different from giving wet grass-if you want to expose your rabbits at risk-at least do not advise others to do that"

I'm shocked and have not responded further.

Den ... don't throw your pearls before swine, I say
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

There is no point in arguing about beliefs, doesn't help anybody. She sure heard that all her life many times from people who raised rabbits all their life, it is common myth here too. A farmer down the road says it, and he also strictly beliefes that rats can impregnate rabbits, that's his explanation why one of his does had an agouti litter - ignorant of small wild rabbits that fit through normal fences easily.

Myxo hit me in my first year with rabbits, hadn't any idea it existed, and it rears it's ugly head only every 6-8 years when the wild rabbit population has recovered enough in numbers to spread the disease. So, even when for 5 years there isn't any problem, the next wave will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Den ... don't throw your pearls before swine, I say
    I've retired gracefully.

I've retired gracefully.

... and yet you seem so young?
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    ... and yet you seem so young?
    You're too kind.