• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worth the risk?

Limit

Warren Scout
Monte has been doing well, septrin and bisolvon has kept his nose fairly clear with the odd sneezing, but it doesn’t sound thick and clogged up like before. We’re asking for an extra two weeks of both medications as it’s working but hasn’t quite knocked it on the head yet. Fingers crossed.

Due to losing his partner I’ve been looking at rescues, at first I wasn’t going to get him a partner. But he becomes very grumpy when alone, which i can now say is definitely from being on his own as he’s only been like this when I first got him (waited a while before bonding him to binky) and he’s now like it again, he wasn’t like this at all when he had Binky. I’ve found a lovely female rabbit from the rspca and I’m really interested in her but is it worth the risk of having a non-snuffle bun with him?Although Binky wasn’t a snuggle bun and never had an issue. And is it worth the risk of monte taking steps back from treatment from the stress of bonding? At a loss, I know he wants a friend, he’s very social but I would hate to take the risks and things go wrong. Any advice welcome, having doubts.

Monte has been doing well, septrin and bisolvon has kept his nose fairly clear with the odd sneezing, but it doesn’t sound thick and clogged up like before. We’re asking for an extra two weeks of both medications as it’s working but hasn’t quite knocked it on the head yet. Fingers crossed.

Due to losing his partner I’ve been looking at rescues, at first I wasn’t going to get him a partner. But he becomes very grumpy when alone, which i can now say is definitely from being on his own as he’s only been like this when I first got him (waited a while before bonding him to binky) and he’s now like it again, he wasn’t like this at all when he had Binky. I’ve found a lovely female rabbit from the rspca and I’m really interested in her but is it worth the risk of having a non-snuffle bun with him?Although Binky wasn’t a snuggle bun and never had an issue. And is it worth the risk of monte taking steps back from treatment from the stress of bonding? At a loss, I know he wants a friend, he’s very social but I would hate to take the risks and things go wrong. Any advice welcome, having doubts.

Personally I would not attempt to bond him whilst he is still on treatment. I'd want to establish if the extended course of abx treatment resulted in him becoming asymptomatic. I'd give the RSPCA Rescue a call about the Doe you have seen and discuss your specific situation with them. Most Rescues are willing to work with prospective Adopters who have specific needs regarding their individual situation.

Good luck with both Monte's treatment and with finding him a friend :)

Personally I would not attempt to bond him whilst he is still on treatment. I'd want to establish if the extended course of abx treatment resulted in him becoming asymptomatic. I'd give the RSPCA Rescue a call about the Doe you have seen and discuss your specific situation with them. Most Rescues are willing to work with prospective Adopters who have specific needs regarding their individual situation.

Good luck with both Monte's treatment and with finding him a friend :)

Thanks Jane, I think that’s best too I’m just getting ahead of myself again! I won’t give them a call until Montes treatment is finished first (wouldn’t want to get in the way of the doe finding a home), definitely the sensible option. If it’s meant to be, the doe will still be there in a few weeks time! Super pleased with how Monte is right now, finally seeing a difference, he had almost a dry nose yesterday with an occasional sneeze! Thanks for making me see some sense, haha, letting my heart rule over my head atm! :D

Thanks Jane, I think that’s best too I’m just getting ahead of myself again! I won’t give them a call until Montes treatment is finished first (wouldn’t want to get in the way of the doe finding a home), definitely the sensible option. If it’s meant to be, the doe will still be there in a few weeks time! Super pleased with how Monte is right now, finally seeing a difference, he had almost a dry nose yesterday with an occasional sneeze! Thanks for making me see some sense, haha, letting my heart rule over my head atm! :D

Excellent !! It is usually best to keep on with the abx treatment for several days after clinical symptoms resolve. That is what my Vet does anyway :)

Yes, if the Doe is meant to be 'the one' then she will still be there in a few weeks time. Also, you dont want to risk bonding Monte too soon and him having any setbacks when the Vets are closed over Christmas !!

Hi Limit :)

I'm really glad to hear that this treatment is working for Monte. I know we've discussed these intractable nose issues - you have to be aware that sometimes although the problem goes, it can return, but so long as you keep on top of it as you are doing things should remain stable.

Regards putting a snuffle and non-snuffle bun together, I do this all the time, and to be honest, I don't think buns would be bonded at all if we didn't! However, I think you're wise to hold off for a wee while, and why don't you think of adding in echinacea or some other immune system booster for the next few weeks to get him really up to par before thinking about bonding?

When I get a new rabbit, I don't immediately bond them, I usually let them find their feet for a few weeks. Perhaps you could ring the R.S.P.C.A. and explain all this, and if you have somewhere to house a potential new friend you could *think* about pursuing the adoption in a gentle way?

Hi Limit :)

I'm really glad to hear that this treatment is working for Monte. I know we've discussed these intractable nose issues - you have to be aware that sometimes although the problem goes, it can return, but so long as you keep on top of it as you are doing things should remain stable.

Regards putting a snuffle and non-snuffle bun together, I do this all the time, and to be honest, I don't think buns would be bonded at all if we didn't! However, I think you're wise to hold off for a wee while, and why don't you think of adding in echinacea or some other immune system booster for the next few weeks to get him really up to par before thinking about bonding?

When I get a new rabbit, I don't immediately bond them, I usually let them find their feet for a few weeks. Perhaps you could ring the R.S.P.C.A. and explain all this, and if you have somewhere to house a potential new friend you could *think* about pursuing the adoption in a gentle way?

Ordered the echinacea! It’s on its way, so going to start using it as soon as it arrives. I’m glad that I can bond a non snuffle bun with him, else I’d be waiting for ages haha, but have never been sure about it. Will email them to see what they say, it’s worth reaching out to them now even if it isn’t that particular doe that I eventually adopt. Thanks so much for the help and easing my worries!

Ordered the echinacea! It’s on its way, so going to start using it as soon as it arrives. I’m glad that I can bond a non snuffle bun with him, else I’d be waiting for ages haha, but have never been sure about it. Will email them to see what they say, it’s worth reaching out to them now even if it isn’t that particular doe that I eventually adopt. Thanks so much for the help and easing my worries!

Your really welcome :)

I always kind of prepare the ground when it comes to adopting a new rabbit (when I know I am going to ..). Sometimes the one you had your eye on won't work out, and then you've a bit of time to 'move on' and look at other possibilities :)

Back