• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bond

Hi all

I’m planning on bonding my 2 mini lops tomorrow (Arya 7 months and Drogon 5 months) both are neutered and have met before and spent a few hours together but we think hormones were still involved as this wasn’t long after Drogon had been neutered and there was a bit of a scuffle. We’ve given it a rest for a few weeks but now have a few days spare where we just want them to be together and hopefully live together in their new cage at the end of it. I’ve had rabbits before but haven’t ever bonded, my last pair were already bonded when we got them. I think we have been a bit nervous and have possibly seen previous chasing/fur pulling as an actual fight and rushed to break this up. Could anyone tell me if there are any obvious differences or things to look for to tell the 2 things apart?

Thanks

Hi there. Have you got male and female? If so, the boy usually chases the girl and she runs away. This should continue for a couple of days until they are feeling more relaxed with one another. There shouldn't be any nastiness between them. Have lots of treats handy and once together don't separate them. They are only young and there should be no problem. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi yes sorry I should have mentioned Arya is female and Drogon is our male. Thank you, will make sure I have plenty of treats nearby. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks

What is the area where you are bonding? Try not to be nervous, just act as if this normal and this is what has to happen. :thumb:

I’m planning on using my kitchen which is small and an area they have only ever been in together and planning to extend that to include the hallway after a few hours if I think they are getting on ok. I’m fully expecting my female to be the dominant one because Drogon is so docile I often question if he is even a bunny. Just a big pile of hay and brand new water bowl and I was planning to gradually introduce a box or some tubes as and when I feel they are getting on.

I don’t think she will, the last time we put them together she had been neutered and he hadn’t, she just followed him everywhere he hopped, she was just desperate for him to love her and he was more interested in exploring his surroundings. I will have a water bottle and oven gloves to hand should I need to break anything up.

Well I didn’t see that coming! It’s only been about half an hour so far and it started with Arya demanding to be groomed and Drogon ignoring her. Arya has now given in and has been grooming Drogon for about the last 10 minutes. Fingers crossed it goes well for the rest of the day

That seems really good, it's so soon. Try not to move them now for a few days. :love::love:

I agree.
It's too easy to be lulled into a false sense of security and move them/extend their area too soon. This can sometimes unsettle them, undoing all the previous good work and spoiling any chance of bonding.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone. Drogon was um humping Arya’s head for a while, she took it for about 30 seconds and the hopped off and this went on for about 5 minutes. I’ve now left the kitchen but I’m sat nearby and they are both led down with their faces touching and grinding their teeth. The new hutch has arrived!

I’ve hidden some treats in their pile of hay and they’ve shared a small pile of kale. Yes they’ve outgrown their cages so we’ve bought a bigger hutch that will be new to both of them. I’ve also put their bowls in the dishwasher and bought a new litter tray so hopefully no smells or arguments over territory

Back