• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing and humping between brothers

Lisa F

Mama Doe
My bonded buns are four year old brothers and have always been extremely close and loved up. Eric has always been the dominant one and there's always been a small amount of chasing and humping during "spring fever" but it usually doesn't last long and Ernie is super passive and just takes it. Several months ago, Ernie had to have surgery to remove one of his eyes (see thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...bbits-cope-with-only-one-eye-U-D-New-pic-pg-5 ). After a brief separation, we rebonded them (in neutral territory) and they immediately went back to being loved up and cuddly (thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...bonding-after-surgery-U-D-Going-well-what-now ).

However, over the last few weeks I've noticed that Eric has started chasing and humping a lot. I have no idea if it's going on when I'm not in the shed but it's definitely happening while I AM there. It goes like this . . . Eric chases, Ernie runs away, Eric chases, starts humping, digs at Ernies back a bit, then chases again. This usually ends with both of them stopping and cuddling up again. I just don't know if I should be worried. I literally cannot have separate rabbits and that is my worst fear but I don't think this is anywhere near that bad . . . it's just worse than normal. I don't know what it means though.

It could be a sign that Ernie is under the weather and Eric is taking advantage. Otherwise I have no other ideas. Eric and Ernie are 2 of my favourite RU bunnies so we don't want anything to happen to upset their life.

(Perceived) change in food situation? Aboleth gets super-humpy when she thinks she's missing out :S Otherwise agree with tonibun :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep on with what I've been doing for a bit longer then (extra toys and distractions, extra litter trays) and keep a close eye on them.

Back