• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those with experience of bunny mammary cancer

Mammary cancer once removed - has it returned?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's complicated so I'll reply instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

In your experiences with bunny mammary cancer - has it come back once removed?

Bramble's won't be able to be removed, the vet recommends she's PTS if the results come back as we're expecting, however, there's a bunny for adoption who is three years old, spayed, but has had mammary cancer and the vet has advised "regular checks" for the lumps returning. The existing lumps were removed in August this year.

I just thought I'm sure there's a lot of people on this forum who've had experiences with this.

I don't know if I can go through all this again if the chances of the cancer coming back are high.

Hi everyone

Bramble's won't be able to be removed, the vet recommends she's PTS if the results come back as we're expecting, however, there's a bunny for adoption who is three years old, spayed, but has had mammary cancer and the vet has advised "regular checks" for the lumps returning. The existing lumps were removed in August this year.

I just thought I'm sure there's a lot of people on this forum who've had experiences with this.

I don't know if I can go through all this again if the chances of the cancer coming back are high.

I adopted an unspayed X Breeding Doe from a Rescue. She was a 3 year old French Lop (Victoria Meldrew). She had mammary cancer. She was spayed and she also had a total mastectomy (not just removal of the tumours). She also had Xrays and blood test to try to ascertain if the cancer had already metastasised. Thankfully it hadn't even though her Uterus appeared abnormal and likely to indicate Uterine Cancer. The mammary tumours were confined to their primary location.

The surgery was major and VM did have an uphill battle to recover, but she pulled through eventually. She had no recurrence of Cancer.

Hi everyone

I'm really sorry you are in this position.

There might be some helpful pointers here:

http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...spayed-doe-Long-post-but-desperate-for-advice
(Hugo's There has a lot of experience, though she doesn't post these days)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-with-mammary-cancer&highlight=mammary+cancer

I have nursed rabbit with fibrosarcoma, and I understand what you are going through. Hugs xx

I adopted an unspayed X Breeding Doe from a Rescue. She was a 3 year old French Lop (Victoria Meldrew). She had mammary cancer. She was spayed and she also had a total mastectomy (not just removal of the tumours). She also had Xrays and blood test to try to ascertain if the cancer had already metastasised. Thankfully it hadn't even though her Uterus appeared abnormal and likely to indicate Uterine Cancer. The mammary tumours were confined to their primary location.

The surgery was major and VM did have an uphill battle to recover, but she pulled through eventually. She had no recurrence of Cancer.

Thanks Jane. From what I understand from Blue Cross (I would have to query further) she hasn't had a mastectomy, she's just had removal of the lumps. Because of her history there's been "no interest" in her and she's currently in foster care. She has no bonded friend. My heart just breaks for her.

I'm really sorry you are in this position.

There might be some helpful pointers here:

http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...spayed-doe-Long-post-but-desperate-for-advice
(Hugo's There has a lot of experience, though she doesn't post these days)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-with-mammary-cancer&highlight=mammary+cancer

I have nursed rabbit with fibrosarcoma, and I understand what you are going through. Hugs xx

Thanks MM. It's extremely helpful that so many people have 'been there' with this but it's heartbreaking too :(

i have a rabbit that had a mammary tumour 3 years ago that was sucessfully removed. Sadly she recently got another but i'm please to say this was also removed and they don't think it has spread. She has never been ill with it and lives a normal life. she is now 8 years old x

Back