• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Updated question: Illy has unusual snoring, sneezing & possibly laboured breathing

Boots

Mama Doe
Updated question: Illy has unusual snoring, sneezing & possibly laboured breathing

Illy and Chinook are sisters who are both almost 8 years old, but very fit and well. Illy is a bit larger than Chinook, and in the last few weeks I've noticed that when she's sleeping, she makes a low hooting noise like an owl, or a wood pigeon. She doesn't seem distressed by it, though this evening she did sneeze once or twice and then re-shuffle her position. Chinook doesn't make any noise when she sleeps.

She occasionally gets a slightly crusty eye, but the exotics team at RVC London are happy it's not her teeth or anything more serious–likely just a sensitive eye to hay etc.

Do you think her sleeping noises are anything to be worried about? They're bloody adorable, so I hope it's just her snoozing comfortably :love:

Any thoughts welcome!

Edited to add: Tonight she has made a slightly higher pitched noise, but then later it was back to the low hooting sounds. It only seems to happen when she's laid stretched out on her front. This evening she also sneezed a few more times, and her eye has some discharge. She's also much more audible when she sniffs; like a dog almost, whereas Chinook is silent. She has also scratched at her ears a couple of times this evening, inside of them, rather than on the outside. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or a sign towards an infection? The more I'm reading on the forum, the more I'm concerned it's an upper respiratory infection :(

Has anyone's rabbit had similar sneezing or laboured breathing? I'm starting to think I should try and get a phone consultation with the vet. (She's eating and pooping as normal)

Last edited:
I've hard rabbits snoring but not like this. Bumping this up for you! :)

Thanks Toni! Just added some more info, so we'll see if anyone has had a similar experience! I don't want to drag her all the way to the vets when it stresses her out so hugely, but I'm starting to think it might be worthwhile if she's possibly got an infection.

Illy and Chinook are sisters who are both almost 8 years old, but very fit and well. Illy is a bit larger than Chinook, and in the last few weeks I've noticed that when she's sleeping, she makes a low hooting noise like an owl, or a wood pigeon. She doesn't seem distressed by it, though this evening she did sneeze once or twice and then re-shuffle her position. Chinook doesn't make any noise when she sleeps.

She occasionally gets a slightly crusty eye, but the exotics team at RVC London are happy it's not her teeth or anything more serious–likely just a sensitive eye to hay etc.

Do you think her sleeping noises are anything to be worried about? They're bloody adorable, so I hope it's just her snoozing comfortably :love:

Any thoughts welcome!

Edited to add: Tonight she has made a slightly higher pitched noise, but then later it was back to the low hooting sounds. It only seems to happen when she's laid stretched out on her front. This evening she also sneezed a few more times, and her eye has some discharge. She's also much more audible when she sniffs; like a dog almost, whereas Chinook is silent. She has also scratched at her ears a couple of times this evening, inside of them, rather than on the outside. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or a sign towards an infection? The more I'm reading on the forum, the more I'm concerned it's an upper respiratory infection :(

Has anyone's rabbit had similar sneezing or laboured breathing? I'm starting to think I should try and get a phone consultation with the vet. (She's eating and pooping as normal
)

Personally I would get her to the Vets. The symptoms you describe are those often associated with Respiratory Tract problems/infections. Gunky eyes and ear problems can also be involved in Respiratory Tract infections

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/rhinitis-sinusitis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

If Illy does have a RTI then the sooner treatment is started the better, good luck :)

Personally I would get her to the Vets. The symptoms you describe are those often associated with Respiratory Tract problems/infections. Gunky eyes and ear problems can also be involved in Respiratory Tract infections

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/rhinitis-sinusitis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

If Illy does have a RTI then the sooner treatment is started the better, good luck :)

Thank you Jane!! The first video on the first link, is exactly what Illy sounds like when she's laid out. There's no appointments left tomorrow at RVC, but they said if I call back first thing they should be opening up some exotics appointments, so I'll do that and get her seen tomorrow. Poor sausage, I hate that she's uncomfortable.

Thank you Jane!! The first video on the first link, is exactly what Illy sounds like when she's laid out. There's no appointments left tomorrow at RVC, but they said if I call back first thing they should be opening up some exotics appointments, so I'll do that and get her seen tomorrow. Poor sausage, I hate that she's uncomfortable.

She'll be in expert hands at the RVC :)

I know exactly what you mean by a rabbit making this sound!

Good luck at the RVC - I hope you get her seen tomorrow x

I have an appointment this afternoon (they squeezed me in!) and I'll take both girls so they have each other for comfort, and in case Chinook needs some treatment too.

I am already dreading the journey and how much it stresses them out :( Right now though they're napping after their kale breakfast, so at least they're happy enough :lol:

I have an appointment this afternoon (they squeezed me in!) and I'll take both girls so they have each other for comfort, and in case Chinook needs some treatment too.

I am already dreading the journey and how much it stresses them out :( Right now though they're napping after their kale breakfast, so at least they're happy enough :lol:

Good luck for this afternoon :wave:

Thank you very much Omi, Jacks-Jane and MightyMax!

The vet agreed that it's a very likely a URI and prescribed a pain relief/anti-inflammtory that's new to me–Loxicom, and the antibiotic Marbocyl. They also found some very early stage cataracts, which on one hand I had noticed, but on the other hand still found very shocking. The vet seemed happy they weren't progressing yet, and reassured me surgery is an option in future if needed.

I just gave Illy her meds, and my God, what a traumatic experience for us both... I have given her and Chinook syringe meds a hundred times before, and it's always been difficult, but fine. Tonight though, she fought me SO hard and kept escaping the towel burrito. Which meant me having to simply grab her time and time again. She ended up weeing herself she was so distressed. And now I'm sat here almost in tears because she's so upset. :cry: I got the meds in her, but the two weeks ahead are incredibly daunting.

Any advice on giving meds via mouth? (Maybe my burrito wasn't tight enough?)

Also, the Loxicom is prescribed twice a day–thoughts on keeping this to just once a day? I don't want to risk putting her in stasis from stress by doing this twice a day :( but obviously she needs the meds to get better... I guess I will see how tomorrow goes and phone the vet for his opinion.

The vet agreed that it's a very likely a URI and prescribed a pain relief/anti-inflammtory that's new to me–Loxicom, and the antibiotic Marbocyl. They also found some very early stage cataracts, which on one hand I had noticed, but on the other hand still found very shocking. The vet seemed happy they weren't progressing yet, and reassured me surgery is an option in future if needed.

I just gave Illy her meds, and my God, what a traumatic experience for us both... I have given her and Chinook syringe meds a hundred times before, and it's always been difficult, but fine. Tonight though, she fought me SO hard and kept escaping the towel burrito. Which meant me having to simply grab her time and time again. She ended up weeing herself she was so distressed. And now I'm sat here almost in tears because she's so upset. :cry: I got the meds in her, but the two weeks ahead are incredibly daunting.

Also, the Loxicom is prescribed twice a day–thoughts on keeping this to just once a day? I don't want to risk putting her in stasis from stress by doing this twice a day :( but obviously she needs the meds to get better... I guess I will see how tomorrow goes and phone the vet for his opinion.

Syringing meds (whilst I read the rest of your post again ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1b49Qsgrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

I use a one ml syringe for just about everything, as I find it easier to manage :)

Loxicom is the same as Metacam and most rabbits like the taste. I think the taste is quite sweet :)

I haven't watched the videos on the links, but whenever I have had a problem with medicating a rabbit or cutting it's nails etc, I have knelt down, placed the rabbit on the floor in between my knees, facing away from me. The rabbit is usually less stressed with its paws on the floor, it can't go forward because one of my hands stops it and it can't go back because my knees stop it. I don't know whether it will help you with Illy, but it's worth a try.

I would ring the vet and ask if you can give the Loxicom once a day. I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem, but you should check.

Yes you have to have a firm but fair grip with a rabbit so they know you mean business.

Metacam, aka Loxicom, is the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory which is most used for rabbits and yes, by all means ask your vet about giving it once daily. Some rabbits like it, others don't. What I sometimes do it put the meds into a syringe, and then top up the end bit (that they get first) with a little bit of organic baby food. Ella's kitchen blueberries or bananas is a fave with mine :) It might not avert the stress, but over time it might be a bit more palatable/less horrible ...

I hope that the treatment clears the infection up quickly. Meloxicam (Loxicom) is often better given in 12 hourly doses as Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam much more quickly than other species. Giving the dose just once a day may not be as beneficial

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

You could try mixing the meds into some veg/fruit baby food. The purees in little pouches are good and they can be drawn up into a syringe. You can buy the pouches (Hipp,Ellas Kitchen etc) in the Baby Food section of Supermarkets.

How are you all coping?

Back