Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated question: Illy has unusual snoring, sneezing & possibly laboured breathing

Default Updated question: Illy has unusual snoring, sneezing & possibly laboured breathing

Illy and Chinook are sisters who are both almost 8 years old, but very fit and well. Illy is a bit larger than Chinook, and in the last few weeks I've noticed that when she's sleeping, she makes a low hooting noise like an owl, or a wood pigeon. She doesn't seem distressed by it, though this evening she did sneeze once or twice and then re-shuffle her position. Chinook doesn't make any noise when she sleeps.

She occasionally gets a slightly crusty eye, but the exotics team at RVC London are happy it's not her teeth or anything more serious–likely just a sensitive eye to hay etc.

Do you think her sleeping noises are anything to be worried about? They're bloody adorable, so I hope it's just her snoozing comfortably

Any thoughts welcome!

Edited to add: Tonight she has made a slightly higher pitched noise, but then later it was back to the low hooting sounds. It only seems to happen when she's laid stretched out on her front. This evening she also sneezed a few more times, and her eye has some discharge. She's also much more audible when she sniffs; like a dog almost, whereas Chinook is silent. She has also scratched at her ears a couple of times this evening, inside of them, rather than on the outside. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or a sign towards an infection? The more I'm reading on the forum, the more I'm concerned it's an upper respiratory infection

Has anyone's rabbit had similar sneezing or laboured breathing? I'm starting to think I should try and get a phone consultation with the vet. (She's eating and pooping as normal)
    Last edited by Boots; 26-11-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Chinook and Illy are my wonderful buns

Crumpet and Elmo, you'll always be my best friends x

Wise Old Thumper

I've hard rabbits snoring but not like this. Bumping this up for you!

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I've hard rabbits snoring but not like this. Bumping this up for you!
    Thanks Toni! Just added some more info, so we'll see if anyone has had a similar experience! I don't want to drag her all the way to the vets when it stresses her out so hugely, but I'm starting to think it might be worthwhile if she's possibly got an infection.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Illy and Chinook are sisters who are both almost 8 years old, but very fit and well. Illy is a bit larger than Chinook, and in the last few weeks I've noticed that when she's sleeping, she makes a low hooting noise like an owl, or a wood pigeon. She doesn't seem distressed by it, though this evening she did sneeze once or twice and then re-shuffle her position. Chinook doesn't make any noise when she sleeps.

She occasionally gets a slightly crusty eye, but the exotics team at RVC London are happy it's not her teeth or anything more serious–likely just a sensitive eye to hay etc.

Do you think her sleeping noises are anything to be worried about? They're bloody adorable, so I hope it's just her snoozing comfortably

Any thoughts welcome!

Edited to add: Tonight she has made a slightly higher pitched noise, but then later it was back to the low hooting sounds. It only seems to happen when she's laid stretched out on her front. This evening she also sneezed a few more times, and her eye has some discharge. She's also much more audible when she sniffs; like a dog almost, whereas Chinook is silent. She has also scratched at her ears a couple of times this evening, inside of them, rather than on the outside. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or a sign towards an infection? The more I'm reading on the forum, the more I'm concerned it's an upper respiratory infection

Has anyone's rabbit had similar sneezing or laboured breathing? I'm starting to think I should try and get a phone consultation with the vet. (She's eating and pooping as normal
    )
    Personally I would get her to the Vets. The symptoms you describe are those often associated with Respiratory Tract problems/infections. Gunky eyes and ear problems can also be involved in Respiratory Tract infections

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respira...terial/URI.htm

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapi...itis-sinusitis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...lagomorphs.htm

If Illy does have a RTI then the sooner treatment is started the better, good luck
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I would get her to the Vets. The symptoms you describe are those often associated with Respiratory Tract problems/infections. Gunky eyes and ear problems can also be involved in Respiratory Tract infections

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respira...terial/URI.htm

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapi...itis-sinusitis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...lagomorphs.htm

If Illy does have a RTI then the sooner treatment is started the better, good luck
    Thank you Jane!! The first video on the first link, is exactly what Illy sounds like when she's laid out. There's no appointments left tomorrow at RVC, but they said if I call back first thing they should be opening up some exotics appointments, so I'll do that and get her seen tomorrow. Poor sausage, I hate that she's uncomfortable.

Wise Old Thumper

Thank you Jane!! The first video on the first link, is exactly what Illy sounds like when she's laid out. There's no appointments left tomorrow at RVC, but they said if I call back first thing they should be opening up some exotics appointments, so I'll do that and get her seen tomorrow. Poor sausage, I hate that she's uncomfortable.
    She'll be in expert hands at the RVC
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

I know exactly what you mean by a rabbit making this sound!

Good luck at the RVC - I hope you get her seen tomorrow x

I have an appointment this afternoon (they squeezed me in!) and I'll take both girls so they have each other for comfort, and in case Chinook needs some treatment too.

I am already dreading the journey and how much it stresses them out Right now though they're napping after their kale breakfast, so at least they're happy enough

Wise Old Thumper

I hope the vet appointment goes well this afternoon.

Banned

I have an appointment this afternoon (they squeezed me in!) and I'll take both girls so they have each other for comfort, and in case Chinook needs some treatment too.

I am already dreading the journey and how much it stresses them out Right now though they're napping after their kale breakfast, so at least they're happy enough

Good luck for this afternoon