• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did your rabbit come from?

The bonding went very well, it was my first rabbit bonding too :shock: The dominant boy, Dandy, chased the dominant girl, Ginger, around the pen, whilst the other two sat in opposite corners and tried not to look :lol: it soon settled down and was uneventful after that really, just some chasing when they moved outside again.

Nickybunny bonded her quad as her first rabbit bonding too - perhaps it's best to be blissfully ignorant :lol:

Kizzy was munching on a dandelion in my front garden - although we do have wild rabbits about half a mile away I'd never seen them in our road and although I knew next to nothing about rabbits as a lop-eared rabbit I was pretty sure she must be an escaped/abandoned pet. I caught her and brought her indoors. I went house to house trying to find the owner but no luck so I handed her over to the RSPCA. I continued to try and find the owner and I couldn't stop thinking about her. I rang the RSPCA every few days and eventually (after I'd done a fair bit of research including finding RU) I adopted her. The RSPCA tried to find a fellow rabbit for her to bond with but apparently Kizzy was having none of it. She hadn't been spayed so they'd tried with neutered males and females and suggested that I should try again after Kizzy was spayed.

023-1.jpg

Bob was adopted a couple of months later after Kizzy had been spayed and had recovered from the op. I had read everything I could about bonding and had taken a week off from work. I was keeping them separate and I was going to introduce them in the bathroom as a neutral space. I done a final check on the bathroom and called down to my other half to say I was all set. He got the wrong end of the stick and had just let them both out into the living room. They met:
Kizzy said "I am a goddess amongst rabbits and you will worship me!"
Bob said "You are a goddess amougst rabbits and I would be honored to worship you."
She put her head down and he politely groomed her and then they settled down to watch telly and have never been apart since. This was their first evening together:

IMG_03341.jpg

Last edited:
Kizzy was munching on a dandelion in my front garden - although we do have wild rabbits about half a mile away I'd never seen them in our road and although I knew next to nothing about rabbits as a lop-eared rabbit I was pretty sure she must be an escaped/abandoned pet. I caught her and brought her indoors. I went house to house trying to find the owner but no luck so I handed her over to the RSPCA. I continued to try and find the owner and I couldn't stop thinking about her. I rang the RSPCA every few days and eventually (after I'd done a fair bit of research including finding RU) I adopted her. The RSPCA tried to find a fellow rabbit for her to bond with but apparently Kizzy was having none of it. She hadn't been spayed so they'd tried with neutered males and females and suggested that I should try again after Kizzy was spayed.

023-1.jpg

Bob was adopted a couple of months later after Kizzy had been spayed and had recovered from the op. I had read everything I could about bonding and had taken a week off from work. I was keeping them separate and I was going to introduce them in the bathroom as a neutral space. I done a final check on the bathroom and called down to my other half to say I was all set. He got the wrong end of the stick and had just let them both out into the living room. They met:
Kizzy said "I am a goddess amongst rabbits and you will worship me!"
Bob said "You are a goddess amougst rabbits and I would be honored to worship you."
She put her head down and he politely groomed her and then they settled down to watch telly and have never been apart since. This was their first evening together:

IMG_03341.jpg

What a wonderful story :love:

Since my first 2 bunnies I have had lots of rabbits over the last 20 years and most of them have been looking for new homes. It has been a wonderful 20 years!

Tammy and Clover - I was about 14, Sister's friends dad bred rabbits.

Daisy- Neighbour didn't want her, we were her 4th home :(

Thumper - a rescue nearby, horrible place.

Sooty - petshop

Tinkerbell - petshop at garden centre

Simba - friend of a friends had 6 rabbits, didn't want any of them

Louie - Pets at Home

Bridge Bunnies:

Snowy, Mummy Bow Tie, Snowy II - no idea, parents got them. Snowy II was a bait and switch after the first Snowy died. I was only told much later that Snowy was actually 2 rabbits!
Thumper - the offspring of MBT plus one of the Snowys. They had a litter of blacks, REWS, and a small grey fluffy one. That was Thumper and we kept her.
Jamie - backyard breeder
Rigsby - P@H, before "Support Adoption" came about.
Galinda - breeder, with Elphie
Nessarose - from a work colleague who HATED her because she was hormonal
Archimedes - PACT animal sanctuary. Came from a home where he was fed toast and museli. Owners said he was 2.5; he died shortly after I adopted him.
Lelantos - Jolleyes. Wasn't meant to buy another PS/BYB bun, but I had a dream of him and OH got him.
Takumi "Little Bit" - Support Adoption for Pets, probably ex-shop stock.
Apollo - PACT animal sanctuary, was from a litter of 3 bucks abandoned very young.
Iris - Support Adoption for Pets, with Arce. Was surrendered as an adult age 4.5 because owners were moving. She has a respiratory infection while there and I had to fight for her treatment, but she faded shortly after finishing her course.

Current Rabbits:

Elphie - BYB, with Galinda
Morningstar and Rivergrace - Support Adoption for Pets. Were surrendered as adults age 2.5 for digging and jumping over fences. They spent 6 months being moved from store to store before I adopted them. They actually hated each other and had to be split. Morning still has severe fear aggression.
Athena - Support Adoption for Pets age 4 months. Card said "too large". So probably ex-shop stock. But she chose me.
Erasmus - Honeybunnies. He was a bit of a biter whilst there, which delayed his finding a home, but the sweetest of chaps since I adopted him.
Helios and Selene - allegedly siblings who had an 'oops' litter. H was neutered and they decided to 'get rid' of all of them when babies were old enough. More likely ex-breeding pair that was retired.
Arce - adopted with Iris from SAFP.
Yuki - Honeybunnies. Was taken to a vet at 2.5 to be PTS because they didn't want him anymore. Honeybunnies/vet stepped in.
Niji - Honeybunnies. Niji was in a hutch with his bother and sister (I think?) having multiple litters. Honeybunnies rescued them all over time. Niji had a bad recovery from neutering but Jill saved him. :love:
Morpheus - Honeybunnies, the first I adopted. Morph was initially in another rescue, but I adopted him from Honeybunnies.
Persephone - given away on Facebook. "anyone want a white rabbit? need gone." I said I'd have her, no more questions. She was abandoned in a flat. She was in a hamster "cage" (smaller than my carrier!) with no hay or anything and has terribly stained teeth due to it. Also my "white" rabbit turned out to be a chocolate point mini rex. I think Lela sent her.

Current Rabbits:

Caspian: The Rabbit Residence
Hansa: Honeybunnies

Both are amazing rescues, run by people who really care about animals.

:)

Bridge Bunnies:

Snowy, Mummy Bow Tie, Snowy II - no idea, parents got them. Snowy II was a bait and switch after the first Snowy died. I was only told much later that Snowy was actually 2 rabbits!
Thumper - the offspring of MBT plus one of the Snowys. They had a litter of blacks, REWS, and a small grey fluffy one. That was Thumper and we kept her.
Jamie - backyard breeder
Rigsby - P@H, before "Support Adoption" came about.
Galinda - breeder, with Elphie
Nessarose - from a work colleague who HATED her because she was hormonal
Archimedes - PACT animal sanctuary. Came from a home where he was fed toast and museli. Owners said he was 2.5; he died shortly after I adopted him.
Lelantos - Jolleyes. Wasn't meant to buy another PS/BYB bun, but I had a dream of him and OH got him.
Takumi "Little Bit" - Support Adoption for Pets, probably ex-shop stock.
Apollo - PACT animal sanctuary, was from a litter of 3 bucks abandoned very young.
Iris - Support Adoption for Pets, with Arce. Was surrendered as an adult age 4.5 because owners were moving. She has a respiratory infection while there and I had to fight for her treatment, but she faded shortly after finishing her course.

Current Rabbits:

Elphie - BYB, with Galinda
Morningstar and Rivergrace - Support Adoption for Pets. Were surrendered as adults age 2.5 for digging and jumping over fences. They spent 6 months being moved from store to store before I adopted them. They actually hated each other and had to be split. Morning still has severe fear aggression.
Athena - Support Adoption for Pets age 4 months. Card said "too large". So probably ex-shop stock. But she chose me.
Erasmus - Honeybunnies. He was a bit of a biter whilst there, which delayed his finding a home, but the sweetest of chaps since I adopted him.
Helios and Selene - allegedly siblings who had an 'oops' litter. H was neutered and they decided to 'get rid' of all of them when babies were old enough. More likely ex-breeding pair that was retired.
Arce - adopted with Iris from SAFP.
Yuki - Honeybunnies. Was taken to a vet at 2.5 to be PTS because they didn't want him anymore. Honeybunnies/vet stepped in.
Niji - Honeybunnies. Niji was in a hutch with his bother and sister (I think?) having multiple litters. Honeybunnies rescued them all over time. Niji had a bad recovery from neutering but Jill saved him. :love:
Morpheus - Honeybunnies, the first I adopted. Morph was initially in another rescue, but I adopted him from Honeybunnies.
Persephone - given away on Facebook. "anyone want a white rabbit? need gone." I said I'd have her, no more questions. She was abandoned in a flat. She was in a hamster "cage" (smaller than my carrier!) with no hay or anything and has terribly stained teeth due to it. Also my "white" rabbit turned out to be a chocolate point mini rex. I think Lela sent her.

Gosh what a huge variety of circumstances!

Very sad, but happy ending, for Persephone :)

One of my rabbits came from a long way away, and I had never met him until a friend brought him along to me. Recently when he was at the vet I saw someone with a mouse in a carrier that was identical to the one he was given away in. The owners of the mouse came over to see the rabbit that had fitted into the very small carrier and were appalled to see that a rabbit 2+ kilos was stuffed into a carrier whereby he couldn't even move and had to bend his head backwards to get out.

Needless to say that carrier was never ever used, not even on the journey down to my house. Ironic that since then he has never been in a cage!

Current Rabbits:

Caspian: The Rabbit Residence
Hansa: Honeybunnies

Both are amazing rescues, run by people who really care about animals.

:)

Rabbits that make it into wonderful rescues are so blessed in my view. I think like ThreeBs said when she rescued the Notts Newbies, those on Preloved and Gumtree etc face an unknown future and it breaks my heart to think of how they will end up, as so many people are ignorant or unconcerned as to their special needs.

Our boys came from Pets At Home.

They were up for adoption, but they hadn’t had any previous owners. They were the only bunnies left from their group that the shop had been unable to sell, so they moved them over to adoption when they got new rabbits in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our boys came from Pets At Home.

They were up for adoption, but they hadn’t had any previous owners. They were the only bunnies left from their group that the shop had been unable to sell, so they moved them over to adoption when they got new rabbits in.

I find the P@H adoption section in my local store painful to see. Especially in summer, where they are cooped up behind glass in small pens with little ventilation. And on wood shavings :(

I'm glad you got your boys out of there :)

I find the P@H adoption section in my local store painful to see. Especially in summer, where they are cooped up behind glass in small pens with little ventilation. And on wood shavings :(

I'm glad you got your boys out of there :)

Yeah, my local store has large pens, they had more room there than in their hutch. But they get lots of attention and get outside to bunny about whenever possible.

Although I must confess that we do use wood shavings to line the floor of the hutch, but they have a nice cozy sleeping area with plenty of hay to snuggle up in.

Whenever I go to Pets At Home to buy something I always take a look at the adoption area. The animals always look a bit sad.

Yeah, my local store has large pens, they had more room there than in their hutch. But they get lots of attention and get outside to bunny about whenever possible.

Although I must confess that we do use wood shavings to line the floor of the hutch, but they have a nice cozy sleeping area with plenty of hay to snuggle up in.

Whenever I go to Pets At Home to buy something I always take a look at the adoption area. The animals always look a bit sad.

Yes me too - I think they look sad :(

I think having so little room to do anything, or express their personalities, is really sad :(

Bumble bunny from OH's boss whose bunny had accidental litter cos they didn't know they had a boy and a girl.

And Bee bunny (binky free) from BARC. And Butter-Bean from BARC. So they could all be happy together :D

I can't remember why Bee bunny came into rescue. Think he was a stray?

Butter-Bean they think was neglected before coming into rescue 🙁

Last edited:
Past and current rabbits over my whole life. The only gap I've been without rabbits was between Lily dying when I was a toddler and getting Bonnie when I was 2.

Lily - I'm not sure, my parents got her before I was born and I forget where they said they got her. They learned later that she was a flemish giant - they got her as a baby bunny and had no idea that she was going to get so big!

Bonnie, Ginger, & Sugar - From a breeder. I was 2/3 when my parents got them for me and my sisters. Bonnie was purchased from this breeder awhile before, and then later on we got Ginger and Sugar as Easter presents. Sugar was 'mine'. My parents always bought us pets even if we were very little but the pets were always family pets and cared for by everyone when we were really young.

Chloe & Harry - From the mall. I was 9 at the time and my parents bought them as surprise gifts/sort of birthday gifts for me and my siblings. I think they just couldn't pass them up as they were such adorable fuzzy little baby buns (I think they were American Fuzzy Lops).

April, Rusty & Gypsy - From a local pet store. My parents and siblings picked them out for my 11th birthday. I think the pet store took them in from people who didn't want them anymore, although they were all baby bunnies. Gypsy was slightly older than the other two as she was bought to take pictures of for a magazine and then brought to the pet store (she was an English lop, so 'unique' looking for pictures). If I remember correctly, April and Rusty were saved by the pet store staff as they were intended to be snake food by whoever had them before.

Sunny, Izzy & Raven - From another local pet store. They were originally from a show breeder but had some disqualifying marks so couldn't be showed and were sold to the pet store. I chose them for my 13th birthday and then my parents picked them up when I was at school and surprised me with them.

Jack - Someone dumped him and another rabbit on a pet store's doorstep. This was at a small (mainly Floridian) pet store chain, but they weren't allowed to sell them by store policy so the employees were trying to find homes for them and my parents were at the store to buy dog food and stopped to look at the rabbits being sold in the store. The employees saw them looking and asked my parents if they wanted Jack. I guess Jack and the other rabbit (who had already been given away) were an accidental litter someone had. I was 16 and at home at the time so my parents surprised me and my brother with Jack when they got home. I could tell it was an animal (they asked us to go out to the car and there was a box there) but I wasn't expecting Jack! lol

Ben & Timmy - From craigslist. I had just turned 17 that month and I wanted a nethie so was looking on craigslist. I ended up finding Ben & Timmy (not nethies but maybe nethie crosses or maybe polish). I take it they were an unwanted impulse buy as the boyfriend bought them from a pet store 2 weeks earlier as an Easter present for his girlfriend. They already had what seemed to be an impulse buy goat in their house that they were trying to put up a fence outside for so I guess they had their hands full.

Lucky - adopted from a family together with her companion guinea pig after said family got dogs and their children lost interest in the rabbit and the guinea pig.
Toffy - came from a local pet shop that no longer sells pets. Bought her to cheer up the guinea pig that fell into depression after Lucky died.
Willow - came from Pets at Home. Long story. Got into a bit of a mid-life crisis after Toffy died; eventually I was given a rabbit holder's licence from the wife as a present, redeemable for one male rabbit, cannot be white. Went to Pets at Home, post Easter sale, Willow was left there sitting in the bargain basement, I couldn't leave her there. Effectively she was free as I got a free vaccination voucher for her, which cost the same amount as the vaccination and I would have had her vaccinated anyway. She was a clear case of mis-selling under the Sale of Goods act as I was told she was a buck until they wrapped her up and the vet said, oops, that's a doe, sorry. And on top of that, she is mostly white.
Charlie - came from a school farm, I can't tell you which school. I saw him sitting in a cage, offered to adopt him and they eventually agreed to sell him to me. Now husbun to Willow.

Back