• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did your rabbit come from?

My previous two were Theo and Vincent.

Vincent a little girl with no ears (her mum had eaten them) handed to me to cull, the breeder said she didnt want to pay for PTS so would I do it. I was under the impression I was their to pick up and "english" (as in springer spaniel) I saw this tiny bunny, whipped her up smartly and put her in my tescos bag for life that had leads, muzzels and dog treats in and brought her home.

Theo - was given to us after living at a charity for Deaf children, he is a massive black lop eared boy who has moved out with my daughter a few months ago.

Cuthbert and Dillon - internet request

I got all my rabbits before knowing about rescues.

Patch was my first rabbit who I got when I was about 11. He was advertised in the newspaper pet section.

Smudge, Bisc and Matt all came from a breeder. The place was not very nice at all.

Love reading every ones stories :)

Beano - Bought from a local garden centre as a baby, I kept her in a small cage in my bedroom with a lot of time out and thought I was spoiling her with the treats/toys she had but they weren't very good until I found RU and realised the actual space/care etc she needed!

Gordon - Adopted from honeybunnies rescue for a friend for Beano, he was handed in with his offspring after his old owner couldn't cope I believe after he had bred accidently.

Boris - Found as a stray in my sisters garden, looked for his owner but they never came forward. He was incredibly friendly and such a lovely rabbit, I was sure some one would miss him. I advertised him as found at all vets in the area and posted on social media and went knocking on doors. He was suspected to be old and after only couple of years with me we lost him to kidney and liver failure.

Jake - Adopted from p@h adoption, he had been handed in as he 'attacked' his cage mate (2 unneutered boys!). The other rabbit needed surgery on his bits after Jake had bitten them so the owners no longer wanted Jake and he was advertised as aggressive and needed to be a single rabbit. We kept passing him and if we bent down to look at him a staff member would say he was aggressive and hard to rehome so we took him. He's never made an aggressive move towards us or other rabbits! He lived free range in the front half of the flat after a failed attempt at bonding a trio then was bonded to Beano after Gordon passed away.

Jasmine - Adopted from honeybunnies rescue as a friend for Jake once Beano left us. She was a much loved house rabbit but circumstances meant she had to be handed to rescue. She's been a perfect match for Jake and you can tell she's been well loved, loves approaching people for head rubs!

only problem they were mainly dental buns & Mouse is a greedy so & so. So they were struggling to gain any weight whilst Mouse turned in to right fatso :lol:
LMAO XD

Charlie (1988-1998 ): pet shop. He was an agouti Nethie and a family pet, bought for me but not as a 'child's pet' sort of thing (I was four!). He had a long, happy life in a run & hutch combo and was loved but probably quite lonely TBH :)

Lopsy (2013-): OH's colleague's daughter (12) didn't want to look after him anymore and family circumstances meant they could no longer look after him fairly. Arrived as a female, poor dude!

Aboleth (??-): Notts Nibbler Rescue, originally Bluebell. I'd seen another female lop on there but Aboleth had just had an operation to remove her eye and I couldn't care less which bunny I got as long as Lopsy was happy, so I went with the one that might be deemed harder to rehome! It was practically love at first sight all round :D

Last edited:
It's been really interesting reading everyone's stories.

My poor little Mouse... I'm so glad she has a lovely home with Joey & Boo xx

All my buns have been pet shop apart from Neya. I rescued him from my brother after his divorce.

Daphne was an unwanted at the shop so I took her home eventually.
Phoebe was just too cute to sell to anyone that came in so I took her home - she's been expensive so I'm glad she came home with me as I am worried someone else might not have paid all the money.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Love reading every ones stories :)

Beano - Bought from a local garden centre as a baby, I kept her in a small cage in my bedroom with a lot of time out and thought I was spoiling her with the treats/toys she had but they weren't very good until I found RU and realised the actual space/care etc she needed!

Gordon - Adopted from honeybunnies rescue for a friend for Beano, he was handed in with his offspring after his old owner couldn't cope I believe after he had bred accidently.

Boris - Found as a stray in my sisters garden, looked for his owner but they never came forward. He was incredibly friendly and such a lovely rabbit, I was sure some one would miss him. I advertised him as found at all vets in the area and posted on social media and went knocking on doors. He was suspected to be old and after only couple of years with me we lost him to kidney and liver failure.

Jake - Adopted from p@h adoption, he had been handed in as he 'attacked' his cage mate (2 unneutered boys!). The other rabbit needed surgery on his bits after Jake had bitten them so the owners no longer wanted Jake and he was advertised as aggressive and needed to be a single rabbit. We kept passing him and if we bent down to look at him a staff member would say he was aggressive and hard to rehome so we took him. He's never made an aggressive move towards us or other rabbits! He lived free range in the front half of the flat after a failed attempt at bonding a trio then was bonded to Beano after Gordon passed away.

Jasmine - Adopted from honeybunnies rescue as a friend for Jake once Beano left us. She was a much loved house rabbit but circumstances meant she had to be handed to rescue. She's been a perfect match for Jake and you can tell she's been well loved, loves approaching people for head rubs!

Yes, I am loving these stories too :love:

There's such a variety of places to get rabbits from and so much misunderstanding leading to them being given up in the first place. Fancy saying Jake was aggressive after biting another unneutered rabbit :roll: And worse, P@H perpetuating the myth.

I guess people will find all sorts of reasons to get rid of them.

I've had so many rabbits, both of my own and foster, that I would be here all night and next day to remember and write about them all :lol: But more recently I have had rabbits who are aggressive (unspayed female with severe dental difficulties), unwanted because they 'got a dog', picked up as a stray and wafer thin, part of a hoarder's collection, not friendly (who cares, I don't!), left at a vet and unwanted as vet wouldn't pts as requested ...

They've all taught me so much, in so many different ways :)

I've had so many rabbits, both of my own and foster, that I would be here all night and next day to remember and write about them all :lol:

Oh yes I haven’t included foster rabbits in mine, would take too long and I’ve only been fostering for about 20 months. I remember them all though :)

Ooh interesting thread!
I won't go into my previous bunnies, except to mention my lovely bridge bunny Comet. He was from Bramcote rescue, no one wanted him, pure black bunny, so beautiful, he'd been there over a year after the rspca brought him and a large group of un neutered males in, all bleeding from the fights 😒He was already 4, he had a lovely life with me and his wife bun Lucy.
So current buns (ha ha so Easter)
Jet and Lavender, (6) mini Rex sisters , I had their Mum Willow too, from a breeder before I realised.
Piper, white nethie, Gumtree ad, tiny cage in a shed, no hay, only sawdust. Now living with the Rex girls.
Lucy, mini lop, (2), local breeder, couldn't sell all the babies, giving them away...
Dave, (1), from P@H adopt bit, couldn't leave him in that tiny cage. Now bonded with Lucy after she lost Comet. The ginger ninjas!

Oh yes I haven’t included foster rabbits in mine, would take too long and I’ve only been fostering for about 20 months. I remember them all though :)

I've been fostering for 25 years ... Just the hundreds of rabbits then :lol:

CometLucy, I love your little white Piper :love:

And why are black rabbits so overlooked? Same as black cats?

I've been fostering for 25 years ... Just the hundreds of rabbits then :lol:

CometLucy, I love your little white Piper :love:

I don't know why - I've had absolutely beautiful black rabbits in the past from a local rescue. Bobby was, of course, black. Pets at Home couldn't sell him because he was black and also larger than the other baby rabbits. I loved him as soon as I saw him, tried to forget him, couldn't, adopted him.
I've also had a black cat - found as a tiny kitten inside the engine of a neighbour's car - where she had been travelling for days. Riddled with fleas and all sorts of other things, grew into a beautiful cat - with such attitude. She would wiggle her btm as she walked - a real little madam!

Mighty Max,
Our first rabbit - Max, was found wondering the street where we lived. People knocked on our door for a week wondering if it was ours because they could see hutches in our garden (we kept guinea pigs at the time). I went out several times into the street to try to find the elusive bun. But no joy. Then one dark autumn morning as I was loading up my car for work, I noticed a shape in the passageway between our houses and low and behold, there was this frightened jet black bun. Obviously couldn't leave him cause he'd get eaten or run over, so I gently came down to his level and caught him. He spent a couple of days in the guinea pig hutch and then we bought a full sized bun house. Max - as he was named, spent several years with us and was an adorable boy with a very sparkly personality. He loved people and although he was a single bun, we gave him a world of love.
Georgina came to us as her keepers didn't really have the space for her - and they thought she was a he. We had hoped to bond her with Max and got Georgina spayed and started the bonding process but we sadly lost Max a few weeks later. We rescued a sprightly male buck from a rescue centre to bond with Georgina. We named him Sam. Bless him, he had some terrible trauma in his past and had lost a bit of his ear. He had some possessive issues with his food and both my wife and I have deep hand scars from Sam who wasn't a vicious rabbit - he just didn't like hands near his food - as we found out. He bonded with Georgina and was a very happy chappy but we sadly lost him to VHD very suddenly. Georgina was very effected by this so we went to the rescue centre again and found a harlequin who sat looking lonesome with his bum pointing at us. I thought - "yup - he's the right one" and we named him Ben. He was the gentlest and most loving rabbit and bonded immediately with Georgina. They were inseperable and shared a bond which I think most of us understand. And as you all know, we lost Georgina at the end of September and sadly Ben 2 weeks later. We rescued Lillian bun in between loosing Georgina. She was starved by her previous owner and no doubt suffered emotionally. When Ben passed, Lillian was left on her own even though she didn't bond with Ben. We've been working intensively with Lillian and she is a healthy weight and is now beginning to trust us and feel comfortable with us. And today......we have been to a wonderful rescue centre - Essex guinea pig, rat and rescue centre and have now adopted a delightful wee chap called Henry. He was brought in with a group of 20+ females (the lucky chap!) and they thought he was a female. He's been neutered and is a cute little fella who loves being cuddled (that's good - cause he's getting plenty) and once Lillian is spayed and hormones have subsided, we'll begin the bonding process. Lillian is curious and we think, quietly excited but they only have liaisons through the cage bars. Pictures of little Henry to follow tomorrow.

Our first two house buns Rosie and Bobby were adopted from the Rspca. They are no longer with us :cry:
Our two current buns are Harry and Daisy, Harry was adopted from pets at home. Daisy was adopted from Greenleaf Animal rescue, we actually collected her from the lovely Bunslave on here who was her foster carer. The first time I saw Daisy she was sat on Bunslaves bedside table!!

When I was little, Mum had a female rabbit, Newsie, an old English rabbit, she looked after a neighbours rabbit, and he managed to escape and they mated ! The resulting litter was rehomed around the street, we kept one, who we named Thumper. He was an agouti buck with a bright patch of tan behind his neck. He was very friendly and free ranges in the garden, came in the house and used newspaper as a toilet! He lived until he was 13! We lost him under anaesthetic trying to repair a leg fracture :cry:

Fast forward until my adulthood, I rescued a Rex rabbit from a show at a village fete. He was very grumpy but we loved him! The kids named him Sooty.

Then came Miffy rabbit. My OH came home with her from the local garden centre shop. Sadly she got myxomatosis and despite being vaccinated it was the worst case my vet had seen and we had to have her PTS :cry:

Miffy 2 came from a local breeder. She was a decent breeder and kept her rabbits very well. She was a lookalike of Miffy!

Apricot and Ginger were 2 lion head sisters from a back yard breeder. I found RU searching female rabbits humping :lol: and they were spayed.

Fell in love with Dandy and Beano, half Wildies from Macclesfield rspca. Eventually bonded them with Apricot and Ginger, they had a shed and aviary run.

Boots was the result of volunteering at an open day. He was a house bun and was so friendly.

Sadly the quad gradually went to the bridge, we lost Boots suddenly and I thought we wouldn’t have any more, the loss was too hard. However my heart ached and the house was empty, and we went to Manchester and Salford rspca and came home with Frosty. He was called Bruce Lee! He was rescued in a joint rescue involving police, social services and the rspca, his owner brandishing a samurai sword :shock: he is a fearless little bun and so friendly. I’m so glad we decided to get another.

Sorry about the essay :oops::lol:

'CometLucy, I love your little white Piper '

And why are black rabbits so overlooked? Same as black cats?[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks MM 😘 but the little git bit me hard today! Was sticking my fingers through the bars, granted, but only because I was attaching the runaround tunnel for him to run around on the lawn... the things we do!

Tango - I was 8, and was friends with an older girl up the road, she had just got a horse and her bunny was cast aside. I used to call in every day to see him and give him dandelions and a stroke. After almost a month of doing this, on my birthday I came downstairs to him. The dad of the girl had seen me seeing tango and stroking him and said I could have him. Luckily for tango he had an enormous hutch and run! We got tango at about 5, and unfortunatly we had to put him down at 11 due to cancer.

Whiskey - after loosing tango I was heartbroken, so my dad took on a bunny who was looking for a home. He was a 2 year old black otter lop. It took me quite a while to get used to him, but when I did, he was such an affectionate little bunny. whiskey passed away around 8 suddenly over night. We believe he had pneumonia.

Sandyman - whilst having whiskey, a local breeder which we hated had a little bunny but he had a deformed leg. He asked my dad if he wanted it otherwise he'd have to dispose of it. My dad went mental and before we knew it, we had the little bunny and my dad built him his own floor level hutch and run. He was initially called sandy as we thought she was a female but once those hormones kicked in we knew about it, and he became sandyman. Sandyman was the best thing that happened to us, even though he had a deformed back leg he would still hop around and was the most amazing bunny. We're still not sure of the breed but he was a much bigger boy and during the winter he came in the house! Sadly when sandyman reached 3, he had further complications with an ear infection and bad arthritis. So We mad the decision to let him go.

Honey and Harvey - h&h were my first bunnies from adulthood, and we're from a friend who'd accidentally had a litter. We were only going to have 1, but after honey followed Harvey out when I picked him up, she had to come too! :lol: Little did I know how much heart ache these two would bring me. I lost my angel Harvey after such a horrific incident at the vets, and honey with her ear infection only just made 12 months! :cry:

Bailey - I was caring for honey, and I was on a dreaded facebay site where someone was posting about Bailey. They'd brought him from a breeder but quickly realised he wasn't for them. As soon as I saw the little mite, me and my partner agreed we'd wait a month for honey to recover and then have him. The owner also agreed this, but then the next day she said nope you either collect him now or he's going up for free, I went and got him... He was suppose to be friend for Honey, who 2 months later was sadly pts.
And then the rest is history! I love this little tinker so much.. :love: he is such a naughty bunny, and thinks he's a dog for sure!

Bella - Bailey was suppose to be our last rabbit, but even thought I was coming home at lunchtime to see him, I could see he was bored. So I contacted our local animal aid and they had some young babies that had been born at the centre. I wasn't going to get a baby and instead wanted an older bun. But my other half said we'll see what they look like first. So we went for a look and brought back little Bella!

So now I have Bailey and Bella, and although they drive me mad, I wouldn't be without them! Xx

Mighty Max,
Our first rabbit - Max, was found wondering the street where we lived. People knocked on our door for a week wondering if it was ours because they could see hutches in our garden (we kept guinea pigs at the time). I went out several times into the street to try to find the elusive bun. But no joy. Then one dark autumn morning as I was loading up my car for work, I noticed a shape in the passageway between our houses and low and behold, there was this frightened jet black bun. Obviously couldn't leave him cause he'd get eaten or run over, so I gently came down to his level and caught him. He spent a couple of days in the guinea pig hutch and then we bought a full sized bun house. Max - as he was named, spent several years with us and was an adorable boy with a very sparkly personality. He loved people and although he was a single bun, we gave him a world of love.
Georgina came to us as her keepers didn't really have the space for her - and they thought she was a he. We had hoped to bond her with Max and got Georgina spayed and started the bonding process but we sadly lost Max a few weeks later. We rescued a sprightly male buck from a rescue centre to bond with Georgina. We named him Sam. Bless him, he had some terrible trauma in his past and had lost a bit of his ear. He had some possessive issues with his food and both my wife and I have deep hand scars from Sam who wasn't a vicious rabbit - he just didn't like hands near his food - as we found out. He bonded with Georgina and was a very happy chappy but we sadly lost him to VHD very suddenly. Georgina was very effected by this so we went to the rescue centre again and found a harlequin who sat looking lonesome with his bum pointing at us. I thought - "yup - he's the right one" and we named him Ben. He was the gentlest and most loving rabbit and bonded immediately with Georgina. They were inseperable and shared a bond which I think most of us understand. And as you all know, we lost Georgina at the end of September and sadly Ben 2 weeks later. We rescued Lillian bun in between loosing Georgina. She was starved by her previous owner and no doubt suffered emotionally. When Ben passed, Lillian was left on her own even though she didn't bond with Ben. We've been working intensively with Lillian and she is a healthy weight and is now beginning to trust us and feel comfortable with us. And today......we have been to a wonderful rescue centre - Essex guinea pig, rat and rescue centre and have now adopted a delightful wee chap called Henry. He was brought in with a group of 20+ females (the lucky chap!) and they thought he was a female. He's been neutered and is a cute little fella who loves being cuddled (that's good - cause he's getting plenty) and once Lillian is spayed and hormones have subsided, we'll begin the bonding process. Lillian is curious and we think, quietly excited but they only have liaisons through the cage bars. Pictures of little Henry to follow tomorrow.

Craig, thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your story. It's a most moving account :love:

I am so pleased you have found Henry, and he has found you :D

I look forward to seeing photos of him in due course, and also hope that everything goes smoothly for his bonding with Lillian x

'CometLucy, I love your little white Piper '

Ah thanks MM �� but the little git bit me hard today! Was sticking my fingers through the bars, granted, but only because I was attaching the runaround tunnel for him to run around on the lawn... the things we do![/QUOTE]

I expect he thought it was food!

Billy came from the "pets for adoption" bit in our local Pets at Home - he was 3 when we got him & had been handed in because the kid that owned him wasn't socialising with him enough.
We adopted Poppy 3 months later from the SSPCA and bonded her with Billy. She was 1, and was handed in when her owner moved away to uni.

When I was little, Mum had a female rabbit, Newsie, an old English rabbit, she looked after a neighbours rabbit, and he managed to escape and they mated ! The resulting litter was rehomed around the street, we kept one, who we named Thumper. He was an agouti buck with a bright patch of tan behind his neck. He was very friendly and free ranges in the garden, came in the house and used newspaper as a toilet! He lived until he was 13! We lost him under anaesthetic trying to repair a leg fracture :cry:

Fast forward until my adulthood, I rescued a Rex rabbit from a show at a village fete. He was very grumpy but we loved him! The kids named him Sooty.

Then came Miffy rabbit. My OH came home with her from the local garden centre shop. Sadly she got myxomatosis and despite being vaccinated it was the worst case my vet had seen and we had to have her PTS :cry:

Miffy 2 came from a local breeder. She was a decent breeder and kept her rabbits very well. She was a lookalike of Miffy!

Apricot and Ginger were 2 lion head sisters from a back yard breeder. I found RU searching female rabbits humping :lol: and they were spayed.

Fell in love with Dandy and Beano, half Wildies from Macclesfield rspca. Eventually bonded them with Apricot and Ginger, they had a shed and aviary run.

Boots was the result of volunteering at an open day. He was a house bun and was so friendly.

Sadly the quad gradually went to the bridge, we lost Boots suddenly and I thought we wouldn’t have any more, the loss was too hard. However my heart ached and the house was empty, and we went to Manchester and Salford rspca and came home with Frosty. He was called Bruce Lee! He was rescued in a joint rescue involving police, social services and the rspca, his owner brandishing a samurai sword :shock: he is a fearless little bun and so friendly. I’m so glad we decided to get another.

Sorry about the essay :oops::lol:

I love your essay Zoobec :love:

And quite apart from the very interesting tales, your rabbits have such lovely names!

And I'm amazed you bonded a quad from two pairs, one pair being half-wildies. Was that difficult?

I love your essay Zoobec :love:

And quite apart from the very interesting tales, your rabbits have such lovely names!

And I'm amazed you bonded a quad from two pairs, one pair being half-wildies. Was that difficult?

The bonding went very well, it was my first rabbit bonding too :shock: The dominant boy, Dandy, chased the dominant girl, Ginger, around the pen, whilst the other two sat in opposite corners and tried not to look :lol: it soon settled down and was uneventful after that really, just some chasing when they moved outside again.

Back