• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting

Ross

Warren Scout
is hair loss a thing in the rabbit world?
hopefully I've uploaded a couple of picture properly to this post lol
is this a thing to worry about or just a normal rabbit thing?

b3B6a6

c0WNF6

Moulting is normal and can result in moult lines and patches as you have shown, although with my bunnies it has been more of a line than a barer shorter patch. I would make sure to groom your rabbit lots so as they don't swallow too much hair, and feed plenty of hay.

Yes it is normal. I can't see your photos. It normal happens twice a year and they can moult for quite a long period. You definitely need to help your rabbit and brush him and you can also wet your hands and stroke him. If he keeps grooming himself he can take in too much fur and this can slow down his gut so he needs to have plenty of hay and water.

Not that I know! Wood shavings, dust, smoke - these are things which could cause a rabbit to sneeze. Or maybe going from a warm temp to a cold one and vice-versa. Are your bunnies indoors or outside?

Sorry to jump in on your post Ross, I hope you don’t mind?

My 2 rabbits seem to have bald patches behind their ears as if on the back of their neck. Have looked and can’t see and flakey/ dry skin or any evidence of mites. Would you say this is molting? One rabbit has got a really short patch which looks like its regrowing but doesn’t look like the photo Ross posted?

ahh brilliant thank you! :D

could it cause any sneezeing by any chance?

Yes, directly & indirectly.

Directly, some rabbits have a type of undercoat which "floats around a lot" even up to the ceiling :shock: & he occasionally got some up his nose = Occasional sneeze with dry nostrils.

Indirectly - moulting is a stress for a rabbit - particularly the Autumn moult when there is a further stress of rapid fluctuations in temperature. The stress can cause their immune system to fall which leads to a relapse of a nasal infection called snuffles which needs treatment. In this case, the nostrils are slightly damp. Although there are classic signs of snuffles, my Benjie could hide them all except the damp nose! ;)

Hoping for nice dry nostrils!

ah well shes been sneezing a lot, mabey that caused her stress to start molting in the first place!
currently waiting for results from her nose swab, after her xray showed nothing lodged up there! was thinking mabey it was the hair but I guess not!

tonibun there hutch is kept indoors,

and of course not Sarah! maybe post a picture on hear of it so the more experienced rabbit guys can see properly :D

Sorry to jump in on your post Ross, I hope you don’t mind?

My 2 rabbits seem to have bald patches behind their ears as if on the back of their neck. Have looked and can’t see and flakey/ dry skin or any evidence of mites. Would you say this is molting? One rabbit has got a really short patch which looks like its regrowing but doesn’t look like the photo Ross posted?

Hi Sarah, I noticed that Illy gets bald patches when she has mites. Only she ever gets them; Chinook (her sister who lives with her) is never affected. As soon as she has some treatment applied, her fur grows back very quickly afterwards. Might be worth getting your two checked just in case, as Illy never shows any other symptoms other than when her fur falls out.

Hi Sarah, I noticed that Illy gets bald patches when she has mites. Only she ever gets them; Chinook (her sister who lives with her) is never affected. As soon as she has some treatment applied, her fur grows back very quickly afterwards. Might be worth getting your two checked just in case, as Illy never shows any other symptoms other than when her fur falls out.

Thank you :) will get some treatment today and make an appointment for them both.

Back