Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonder disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    Thank you Scrappys LH. Itís so nice knowing itís not all lost, the bonder I got to call me today thinks that the 4th Dec should be enough time to get over the last few days but Truffle does like a good old grudge lol.

Iím just a bit apprehensive that although not in a car, it will start again in a carrier.....but I donít know how else you would start. Maybe itís the different technique that will make the difference.

Thank you, yes just after I read your first comment I was just thinking that! I know stress can help but it must be very overwhelming for a rabbit like Truffle that is used to getting his way suddenly not even being home and an hour in the car.

He didnít like our new kittens (now cats) for two months, I had to do positive reinforcement training with Truffle like a dog, now they all love each other.....well did they havenít seen each other for 3 months now.

Thank you so much, Iím feeling a bit like itís me just wanting it too badly and I need a reality check :-/ we shall see xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just got home and read all your messages TP.

What a situation! You can't try any harder than you are doing .. It's really difficult for us to comment, as we haven't seen how your two behave on neutral ground. But from what you've said, this new person trying the bonding sounds more down to earth and therefore (I hope) promising.

So long as this person knows when to draw the line, as bunnies nipping one another goes on surreptitiously sometimes, and beneath all that fur we don't always know how many scratches and bites there may be.

And when I bonded my trio, it was the two boys who gelled within the first 10 minutes, literally, and they were complete strangers. Last night one of my buns went off to the emergency vet by himself, and the other boy was distressed and looking for him. They were inseparable when he returned home

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I've just got home and read all your messages TP.

What a situation! You can't try any harder than you are doing .. It's really difficult for us to comment, as we haven't seen how your two behave on neutral ground. But from what you've said, this new person trying the bonding sounds more down to earth and therefore (I hope) promising.

So long as this person knows when to draw the line, as bunnies nipping one another goes on surreptitiously sometimes, and beneath all that fur we don't always know how many scratches and bites there may be.

And when I bonded my trio, it was the two boys who gelled within the first 10 minutes, literally, and they were complete strangers. Last night one of my buns went off to the emergency vet by himself, and the other boy was distressed and looking for him. They were inseparable when he returned home
    Oh no Iím sorry to hear about one of your buns being rushed to the vet! I hope they are ok. I know that feeling all to well as you know!

Yes I think itís hard to get it across but I would never have a way to film etc, I can when they are living side by side, and with the bonder I can only go from what she said. But I felt a very negative vibe start straight after she tried the first time, like she was already thinking it would fail.
    Also being so close didnít seem to work but as I said above maybe thatís due to technique not method etc.

Yes exactly, I know all to well how thin bunnies skin is! He seemed to say that contact would be avoided (biting) but sometimes they do happen, which I understand. I just wonder how long they take to get over things like this week, or the last time we put them together over a month ago and Truffle screamed :-/

I wish your boys could talk to mine and tell them itís ok to be friends and guys! Lol x

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Oh I forgot to say, after what happened last time I'd be inclined to take them to the new bonder on Sunday and let them have time to settle before bonding the next day. Just that it sounds like after the last experience they really do get stressed by car journeys and I'd want to give them a bit of time to calm down before starting a bond.

I forgot to ask, do you remember what method the rescue used to bond yours? X

Oh my that was a long read!

I agree with everyone who has said the female bonder didn't sound like she knew what she was doing. You've done the right thing getting her home. I was anxious reading about her putting them into travel box and driving them around straight away but I didn't want to stress you out too much.

The guy you're talking about sounds much better. He's just got a different technique preferring to get them used to a small area together and then gradually increasing their shared territory together. I hope I'm making sense... it's been a really long day.
    The fact he's making sure to say he stays with them is a good sign.

I think letting then settle for a night before bonding may be more beneficial and will allow both to settle.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    I forgot to ask, do you remember what method the rescue used to bond yours? X

To be honest I don't know. Apparently the original owners tried to bond them when one was unneutered, which led to the inevitable consequences! They were actually in rescue waiting over two years for a home but I don't think it took that long to fix the bond!

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Literally in tears now.

I was making their dinner downstairs and was nearly done, but I heard an almighty scuffle/banging on the barrier so Iím assuming they had a little pop at each other (all stopped as soon as I went up).

Then took their dinners up, Luther tucked in straight away like usual. Truffle isnít interested at all even apple. He just occasionally hops between his two favourite sitting positions on that side and he just looks shell shocked. Literally a husky of himself and just stars off and with a tiny bit of a jaunty sideways head.

So upset and of course my OH has stock take today and tomorrow so Iím on my own till 9/10pm :-(

Iím so scared heís going to be beyond trying with now if heís this upset. Poor Puffy :-(

Wise Old Thumper

How are they behaving now?

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    How are they behaving now?
    So when I went to sit up there again there was a lot of Truffle rushing around with his tail up and both nipping each otherís noses a bit. So I have opened the baby gate to let Truffle out and downstairs to just the living room if he wants just to give him a few hours break from Luther.

But it took 20 mins before he fully made it downstairs and heís so timid in what is his old territory. Itís like he doesnít recognise it, which I guess is good if they do eventually bond. Heís mostly staying in his bunny prison upstairs or runs back up after being down a min or two.

ďDaddyĒ is home now and Truffle seemed ok with him, where as he seems scared of me. Hopefully they will settle but itís feeling just like the first day we ever put them side by side, 3 months ago which isnít great.

Luther seems pretty normal apart from biting at Truffle more than before.

Wise Old Thumper

Poor Truffle I hope he soon settles down again.

Alpha Buck

I can't add anything except I hope things settle tonight, Ive had really bad bonding fights but all worked out in the end. It's worth it, so hang in there and you have all our understanding and good luck vibes xx
    Last edited by CometLucy195; 24-11-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typo