Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonder disaster

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I don't think they hate one another, it's just what rabbits do. It's natural for boys to fight.
    I know you have loads of experience, but do you think this is usually the case? My quad was three bucks and one doe (although they were related) and they were very, very firmly bonded. All three boys took turns in humping all of the others occasionally, but there was absolutely no aggression.

Is it not the case that does are sometimes a problem, as they are so territorial sometimes highly-strung?

Wise Old Thumper

The only 2 boys I have had living happily together were 2 brothers who never had a disagreement. They were more like male and female. I think having happy boys together is more the exception rather than the rule. Mairwen at Cottontails would agree with this also and she has to have bonded more rabbits than anyone else. Most brothers I have had from being babies have fallen out at around 14 weeks and as Mairwen says there is a strong likelihood of them never getting on once they have fought and I agree.

I just got them home. Truffle looks a bit traumatised bless him. Both are hopping around getting familiar with there bedroom again so I have left them to relax a bit.

The lady is adamant that Truffle can never be friends with any bunnies because he hates everyone.
    I said could it be because heís not at home because he never did any of this when we tried.....but she says no because he was eating and flopping it means he wasnít stressed.

Iím just really not sure about it all and I hope we can get back to where we were because they were friendly through the barrier etc.

I donít think Mr. Puff is mean heís never been horrible to anyone.....stroppy definitely but not nasty!

Luther was also put with the ladies female and one he kinda liked but that was it.
    Oh and Truffle escaped his cage a few times and ran around the room.

Iím happy to have them back, hopefully they will forgive me soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warren Veteran

I think this bonder is talking out of her backside & I commend Truffle for giving her a good nip - good boy. How dare she say your bunny is nasty? I'm also flabberghasted she tried them with girls. None of this is your fault, I hope they settle soon.

I'm sure there are many happily bonded boys bun. Mischief & Tinkerbelles mum has managed it several times. There are happy boy twosomes on here I think. I have a few customers with boy bunny pairs (its not that unusual for me to chat to them about our bunnies )

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I think this bonder is talking out of her backside & I commend Truffle for giving her a good nip - good boy. How dare she say your bunny is nasty? I'm also flabberghasted she tried them with girls. None of this is your fault, I hope they settle soon.

I'm sure there are many happily bonded boys bun. Mischief & Tinkerbelles mum has managed it several times. There are happy boy twosomes on here I think. I have a few customers with boy bunny pairs (its not that unusual for me to chat to them about our bunnies )
    You guys are really making me feel better, I honestly thought I was just being down about it not working and trying to make excuses, but it sounds like all my hesitation and questions are valid.

Gives me hope that itís still not 100% a definite not going to happen.

I just donít know how long it will take for them to get over it all before trying anything else because I know bunnies are quite good at grudges lol!

Thing is if he hated rabbits, well Luther, that much then he would try and kill him through the barrier, or be nasty now I have just put them back in their room (with the divide). But heís just loafing and throwing all the toys doing his ďhulk smashĒ routine lol.

So many people seem to have bonded boys that arenít necessarily brothers, I just donít know what we are doing wrong. Maybe we are trying too fast and 3 months side by side isnít enough because itís a harder bond.

I have another bonding place, again an hour away, ringing me hopefully this afternoon so I can explain everything so far and see if they can help (or want to) or if we should leave them much longer and try at home etc.
    Thank you for your support joey&boo x

Warren Veteran

You're welcome. Don't feel bad about interrogating the life out of your new potential bonders, if they are right for bonding your bunnies they won't mind. Have a list of questions & concerns at the ready. Good luck x

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    You're welcome. Don't feel bad about interrogating the life out of your new potential bonders, if they are right for bonding your bunnies they won't mind. Have a list of questions & concerns at the ready. Good luck x
    Haha thatís exactly what I was going to do after my lunch but he caught me off guard before I finished so I didnít have my prep notes.

I explained everything and he said itís definitely worth a try from what I said about the boys, and he said it sounds like she didnít have a clue.

He went through his process saying they start off in a carrier type box for a few hours, but heís there the whole time and breaks up fights, but instead of giving up straight away they keep going (unless they are obviously trying to kill each other) while also using a pinning technique as dominance until the buns see they donít get anywhere being aggressive, kind of thing......he explained it much better than me!

Then over a few days their housing gets bigger gradually but someone is there all the time to block aggressive behaviour etc.

He said they can go on a Sunday and started the next morning, or go on a Monday and start straight away because the long car journey can help. But I donít know what is best.....especially as with the other bonder doing it straight away didnít end well, although we did chat quite a while and she gave a health check, then more chatting, then started? Again hard to know whatís right.

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I'm really sorry it hasn't worked out with this bonder I just wanted to echo what others have said that I don't think all hope is lost. It sounds like the last bonder uses a technique that doesn't suit your boys. Plus I have to say I'm not convinced attempting stress bonding when they were already so wound up was the best move. It seems to have just caused them to lash out.

I think I've mentioned this before on a previous thread but I had two boys who were happily bonded despite having an awful fight leaving one with permanent injuries to his ears. I believe they were rebonded by the rescue I got them from. So I don't think it's a lost cause if you have an experienced bonder who really knows what they're doing. The new bonder does sound a lot better.

Good luck. You've tried so hard with the boys I really really hope there will be a happy ending for you all xxx

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Oh I forgot to say, after what happened last time I'd be inclined to take them to the new bonder on Sunday and let them have time to settle before bonding the next day. Just that it sounds like after the last experience they really do get stressed by car journeys and I'd want to give them a bit of time to calm down before starting a bond.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm really sorry it hasn't worked out with this bonder I just wanted to echo what others have said that I don't think all hope is lost. It sounds like the last bonder uses a technique that doesn't suit your boys. Plus I have to say I'm not convinced attempting stress bonding when they were already so wound up was the best move. It seems to have just caused them to lash out.

I think I've mentioned this before on a previous thread but I had two boys who were happily bonded despite having an awful fight leaving one with permanent injuries to his ears. I believe they were rebonded by the rescue I got them from. So I don't think it's a lost cause if you have an experienced bonder who really knows what they're doing. The new bonder does sound a lot better.

Good luck. You've tried so hard with the boys I really really hope there will be a happy ending for you all xxx

Thank you Scrappys LH. Itís so nice knowing itís not all lost, the bonder I got to call me today thinks that the 4th Dec should be enough time to get over the last few days but Truffle does like a good old grudge lol.

Iím just a bit apprehensive that although not in a car, it will start again in a carrier.....but I donít know how else you would start. Maybe itís the different technique that will make the difference.

Thank you, yes just after I read your first comment I was just thinking that! I know stress can help but it must be very overwhelming for a rabbit like Truffle that is used to getting his way suddenly not even being home and an hour in the car.

He didnít like our new kittens (now cats) for two months, I had to do positive reinforcement training with Truffle like a dog, now they all love each other.....well did they havenít seen each other for 3 months now.

Thank you so much, Iím feeling a bit like itís me just wanting it too badly and I need a reality check :-/ we shall see xx