• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonder disaster

I'm glad it's going so well :thumb: do you have a run or puppy panels you can make into a run so as to not give them too much extra space just for the next stage of bonding? It's useful to be able to extend their territory slowly :thumb:

Waiting a bit to extend their space sounds like a good idea. Zoobecs suggestion of a puppy pen is good too.

Hope all continues to go well.

I'm glad it's going so well :thumb: do you have a run or puppy panels you can make into a run so as to not give them too much extra space just for the next stage of bonding? It's useful to be able to extend their territory slowly :thumb:

Hi Zoobec :)

Thank you, me too it’s been a very long process but I’m so thrilled with where we are!
Yes we bought a big puppy pen to use as a divide when the boys were living opposite in a room upstairs so we thought that would be good to use in a semicircle our the front of the hutch.

Is it best when we come around to it, to give them enough room to just hop out the hutch? Or more to lie down etc?

Thank you for your help and suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

And on a more positive note, you could change the title of your thread to something like .....

Bonding progress .. or Great Expectations :D

I still haven’t managed to figure out how from the Tapatalk app :-/ I really did try lol. I might have to see if I can log in from my laptop later and do it :-D x

And DP, I won’t lie, the next stage does have me a bit worried I must admit so we are waiting till after Christmas Day/Boxing Day before moving on. But we have got this far so I’m staying positive and have faith in our boys :-D

Is it best when we come around to it, to give them enough room to just hop out the hutch? Or more to lie down etc?

I'm off Sat/Sun/Mon so if you want send me a message and I can arrange to be there if you would like xx

In terms of room... I started with just enough room for them to hop out, so one panel depth and two panels across the width of the hutch. After about a day & night I extended it by another panel depth. :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm off Sat/Sun/Mon so if you want send me a message and I can arrange to be there if you would like xx

In terms of room... I started with just enough room for them to hop out, so one panel depth and two panels across the width of the hutch. After about a day & night I extended it by another panel depth. :)

Awww bless you your so sweet and thoughtful!
Because I have a prior engagement of doing a house (dog) sit for a few days starting on the Sat, we were going to do our first outside the hutch try on Thursday after all our Christmas and family stuff is done. But of course the bunnies will only come out when I’m here or Sam is here.

If we have a big problem on the Thursday and we really struggle, I will see if we can just get them being ok again in the hutch then see if your still available? I really appreciate you offering your time :)

Ahhh I see! Thank you, I like to plan ahead and know what I’m doing next haha! I hope because they are both dying to push their way out, it won’t end in a fight they will just be excited :-D xx

Just a teeny update as I have a cute picture from this morning.

The boys have been about the same, still not spending lots of time together but I’m trying not to worry too much.
This morning there was a bit of a scuffle or two started by Truffle, which I think was breakfast pellet related plus we were late coming down this morning so food would have been quite important to Truffle. But I think I managed to resolve it.

Then five mins later I saw Luther laying at the bottom of the ramp and Truffle hopped behind him, lay down and basically had his head on Luther’s butt <3 so I’m guessing they are ok with each other lol!

Hope you are all having amazing Christmas celebrations xx

4be8604d6a4f9c2e4c78c3743b17c504.jpg

df51f70a089cec50d052c626c7a538d1.jpg

Fingers crossed that things continue to go well. Apologies if I've missed this, but when you feed them do you use a bowl? I scatter the pellets across the floor so that no bun can try to dominate them and it makes them sniff around for the pellets and so occupies them for longer.

Fingers crossed that things continue to go well. Apologies if I've missed this, but when you feed them do you use a bowl? I scatter the pellets across the floor so that no bun can try to dominate them and it makes them sniff around for the pellets and so occupies them for longer.

Hi Glingle :)

No worries, yes I do scatter them in the top of the hutch. The problem sometimes is Luther spends a lot of time at the bottom so is late to the pellet party and has to come up the ramp to get to them. I thought of putting some downstairs for Luther in the bottom part but thought that might encourage them to not be together. They get very excited about pellets too lol!

You have given me hope for my two boys as Milo tried to bite Oreos nose through the bars where Oreo just seems to want attention and pushes his nose through

You have given me hope for my two boys as Milo tried to bite Oreos nose through the bars where Oreo just seems to want attention and pushes his nose through

Aww thank you I’m so glad my story can help give hope.

When my two were living in a room upstairs side by side we had a similar situation. Luther would push his nose through the divide to get Truffle to come over and sniff, so he could nip Truffle. They also pull hair out of each other’s butts if the other sat close to the divide.
Have you thought about what method you want to use to bond, home or away? Or is it very early stages still?

I say, if you think that you can see they would be friends and a good match, but they just don’t know yet.....keep trying different methods and don’t listen to people that try and beat you down. Like the first bonder said my Truffle isn’t a very nice bunny and should never be paired with another rabbit! (But if it gets to much for your buns after a few tries you might have to think of a new idea like a third bun, or two girls to pair your boys etc).

They were bonding well originally both the pair were grooming the newbie and then I went on holiday and something must have happened as when we came back and tried to carry on the bonding Milo went for Oreo missed and was hanging off my leg. That was nearly 2 years ago and they have been separate ever since so I'm scared

Also forgot to mention this is a pair bonding with a single. Bailey is the boss and Milo adores her he follows her everywhere so I was overjoyed when Milo cleaned Oreo on their 2nd meeting. Unfortunately it didn't last and I've been too scared to try again

Also forgot to mention this is a pair bonding with a single. Bailey is the boss and Milo adores her he follows her everywhere so I was overjoyed when Milo cleaned Oreo on their 2nd meeting. Unfortunately it didn't last and I've been too scared to try again

Ahh I see. Well I can’t help too much in the bonding side of things as when we tried a few times at home, it was awful. The last time they were put together by us, Luther launched at Truffle and locked on and Truffle wouldn’t stop screaming, it was horrible. I then had to give them a break while they recovered from injuries but still living side by side. I was then like you, terrified of doing it and the same thing happening and I know they can sense me being scared and it won’t help.

So I decided to trust a bonder to start it all off. I was worried it was too late, especially after the first bonder we had a terrible experience with. But the second place got ya off to a good start and I’m thrilled. If you would rather do it yourself I’m sure the amazing members on here can advise you, but if you think your emotions are going to be too much maybe look into bonders near you to start it off again and get them to a good place? Even if you just chat with them x

Well we have just had a nail clipping and grooming session so will let them calm down a little and then give it a go like we did last time in a wet bath so it encouraged grooming and it did work. I have my partner here to with gloves at the ready to separate got to give it a go I think

We've been in the bath for about an hour now one little scuffle and lots of ignoring other. my beautiful girl bailey is going between them cleaning oreos head and then hopping back to Milo to be cleaned. She's currently giving oreos face a right good clean while her husband Milo cleans himself. Oreos loving the attention by bailey and it looks like she's figured out the pecking order. Just need to see Milo is happy to be at the bottom &#55357;&#56368;&#55357;&#56368;&#55357;&#56368;

Awww bless you your so sweet and thoughtful!
Because I have a prior engagement of doing a house (dog) sit for a few days starting on the Sat, we were going to do our first outside the hutch try on Thursday after all our Christmas and family stuff is done. But of course the bunnies will only come out when I’m here or Sam is here.

If we have a big problem on the Thursday and we really struggle, I will see if we can just get them being ok again in the hutch then see if your still available? I really appreciate you offering your time :)

Ahhh I see! Thank you, I like to plan ahead and know what I’m doing next haha! I hope because they are both dying to push their way out, it won’t end in a fight they will just be excited :-D xx

You have my number if you do need me, but honestly I think you'll be fine x

Just a teeny update as I have a cute picture from this morning.

The boys have been about the same, still not spending lots of time together but I’m trying not to worry too much.
This morning there was a bit of a scuffle or two started by Truffle, which I think was breakfast pellet related plus we were late coming down this morning so food would have been quite important to Truffle. But I think I managed to resolve it.

Then five mins later I saw Luther laying at the bottom of the ramp and Truffle hopped behind him, lay down and basically had his head on Luther’s butt <3 so I’m guessing they are ok with each other lol!

Hope you are all having amazing Christmas celebrations xx

4be8604d6a4f9c2e4c78c3743b17c504.jpg

df51f70a089cec50d052c626c7a538d1.jpg

They're so incredibly cute. They sound perfectly happy with the cuddling. My girls have been bonded for 2 years and we still get the odd scuffle over high value food if we're late with any meals etc.

We've been in the bath for about an hour now one little scuffle and lots of ignoring other. my beautiful girl bailey is going between them cleaning oreos head and then hopping back to Milo to be cleaned. She's currently giving oreos face a right good clean while her husband Milo cleans himself. Oreos loving the attention by bailey and it looks like she's figured out the pecking order. Just need to see Milo is happy to be at the bottom í*½í°°í*½í°°í*½í°°

Wow that all sounds really positive, well done you! And the bunnies of course haha!
Hopefully they carry on the same way in their meetings. We haven’t had any grooming yet just laying together sometimes, so your three are well ahead of our two lol.

Fingers crossed for you! :)

You have my number if you do need me, but honestly I think you'll be fine x

They're so incredibly cute. They sound perfectly happy with the cuddling. My girls have been bonded for 2 years and we still get the odd scuffle over high value food if we're late with any meals etc.

Thank you we really appreciate it!

Aww thanks :) they like to think so haha!
Luther seems to be really off me the last two weeks or so for some reason, he hardly lets me touch him without running away. But I think it’s because while in the hutch I’m not spending time with him.

I was wondering if it’s ok they still aren’t grooming yet before moving in to giving them space out the front of the hutch, because I have read people putting a bit of mashed banana on bunnies heads to encourage it lol! But I wasn’t sure how important that is yet.

Yes I think being late with the pellets definitely makes Truffle a grump, veggies he’s better with lol x

Back