Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonder disaster

Default Bonder disaster

So some of you probably saw my previous thread in desperate need of a bonder after my original arrangement couldnít take us last min.

We wanted a bonder because we thought it would be better to get the ďaggressor bunĒ Luther out of his comfort zone and see Truffle as a friend not like all the bunnies in groups that bullied him as a baby.

So rushed last min to a lady who had a cancellation and she took them both on Tuesday. As soon as we left they were put in a carrier together to drive around the block and three mins after we left she was bitten by Truffle and Truffle was just being aggressive to her and Luther. So she stopped there and decided to wait to try again last night but with a big ish pen and lots of toys for distraction. But due to her work this was postponed till tonight, I have been told that Truffle is not nice to other bunnies and was lunging, grunting and attacking. He hasnít done this ONCE when we tried at home, he was always the one being attacked and just wanted to get up high away from Luther!
    She even tried Truffle with one of her girls and said after he finished eating he tried to attack the female.

Now I have two dilemmas;

1. When I fetch them tomorrow would it be best if we wanted to try something else, for them to go back to how they were the last 3 months living side by side with a divide to get back to some normality? Or keep them apart now and give them a break until our next plan of action?

2. We were thinking of using the only other bonding place who came back to us which we can get in for 4th Dec, because we really werenít sure about the carrier method I never liked the sound of it.....but this place has bonded males and they all use their own methods. But what if Truffle has ďlost itĒ because heís away from home? Or could it be the hour journey then going into a carrier just got him wound up? Then is it a good idea to try away again??

Otherwise all we have to try is at home in the tub etc etc but with someone experienced with us to start, then Truffle is home so maybe relaxed and Luther is on the back foot because itís a new place...

So upset about it all :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Iím worried maybe Truffle remembers the last time when Luther made him scream. But he didnít turn aggressive any previous bite incidents so maybe not?!

Rant over now......promise lol! :-p

Warren Scout

I can sympathise with you..... the first bond I did (which was pure luck)was love at first sight and the bond took about a minute!! So when we got Scooby who is an incredibly laid back gentle giant I assumed it would be as easy as before but no!! He started behaving in a way that I didn't recognise at all, growling at her and what not. He made her scream once (which I think frightened him too!) and she is so timid, she is literally scared of her own shadow!!! On the advice of others here I have taken it back and am going much slower, they are now side by side and I have also started to switch their cages now and again. Its such a long process but im sure it will be worth it in the end and I wish you good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Niklovesrats View Post
    I can sympathise with you..... the first bond I did (which was pure luck)was love at first sight and the bond took about a minute!! So when we got Scooby who is an incredibly laid back gentle giant I assumed it would be as easy as before but no!! He started behaving in a way that I didn't recognise at all, growling at her and what not. He made her scream once (which I think frightened him too!) and she is so timid, she is literally scared of her own shadow!!! On the advice of others here I have taken it back and am going much slower, they are now side by side and I have also started to switch their cages now and again. Its such a long process but im sure it will be worth it in the end and I wish you good luck
    Thank you.

Yes see we did start with the gentle approach and they have been in a room with a divide for 3 months or so now, swapping them every few days to stay neutral. But when we tried them on the same side we were just too slow, not good at the signals and Luther being bullied when he was a baby seemed to always attack first ask later. Which is why away from home we thought heíd be less comfortable and see Truffle as an ally.

We have never done anything like this and as a bunny mum itís so hard to know whatís right. Itís so confusing too that if they hated each other that would attack all the time through the divide surly?!

Good luck with your buns too! :-) x

Warren Scout

I don't know.... those bars give them some confidence! The baby female is very timid but in the safety of her cage she is very friendly, wants to say hello and I can stroke her through the cage and they sniff but she runs a mile when that door is open!! Good luck!! x

Wise Old Thumper

I will be interested to read what experienced bonders respond to this.

If I were in your position I would be quite horrified at your recent experience with the bonder For a start I would be very wary about trusting anyone else bonding my rabbits. However, I would be very unhappy at what appears to have happened with your little ones. I would have been firstly suspicious of an experienced bonder needing to use the carrier method. I would not have expected her to have got bitten by Truffle - was she not wearing very thick gloves? I would not have expected her to delay the bonding because of work and not inform you. But what would be the worst for me was that she attempted to put Truffle with one of her does Why?? I would have thought that this would make a confusing and stressful situation even more so for Truffle.

In my view, if your boys were being exposed to different smells from other rabbits, it was almost certain to fail.

I'm not sure what you should do next, but I send you my very best wishes for a successful outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post

If I were in your position I would be quite horrified at your recent experience with the bonder For a start I would be very wary about trusting anyone else bonding my rabbits. However, I would be very unhappy at what appears to have happened with your little ones. I would have been firstly suspicious of an experienced bonder needing to use the carrier method. I would not have expected her to have got bitten by Truffle - was she not wearing very thick gloves? I would not have expected her to delay the bonding because of work and not inform you. But what would be the worst for me was that she attempted to put Truffle with one of her does Why?? I would have thought that this would make a confusing and stressful situation even more so for Truffle.

In my view, if your boys were being exposed to different smells from other rabbits, it was almost certain to fail.

I'm not sure what you should do next, but I send you my very best wishes for a successful outcome.
    I couldn't agree more

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post

I feel terrible :-(
    I did get some alarm bells when it was clear protective hand wear wasnít worn, even inexperienced as were are, we used oven gloves!

I even text after the first night and said maybe Truffle is upset by the other rabbits smells and she indicated if heís bad with other rabbits smells itís probably not going to happen....but we donít care about other bunnies, and he knows Lutherís smell from living next to him 3 months. There was also cats and a dog, we have two cats but they donít know what a dog is.

I just wanted them home after the carrier thing, picking them up today. I have set up their room again to be side by side because I thought that would be most like getting back to Ďnormalí.

Iím scared how much of our work over the last three months might have set back.
    We know Truffle isnít nasty to anyone :-( even at the vets when they do stuff to him they always say how brave he is!

Thank you guys for the support it makes me feel like Iím not being silly about it all and itís not be being over sensitive! I have asked the other bonder place to call me today and tell them everything so far and see if they think they can help, or if at home will be better, how long to wait etc etc.

Wise Old Thumper

What a nightmare!
    No, you are not being silly about it or being over-sensitive.
    I can't really offer any advice about bonding - but wanted to reassure you that we would all feel as you do about that 'bonder'.

Wise Old Thumper

I don't think they hate one another, it's just what rabbits do. It's natural for boys to fight.