• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonder disaster

Thank you all, for not only sticking with me and my 4 month saga, but also being there for me through this whole thing.

Without you guys I never would have been able to keep up the strength to do this for so long, and you guys really believed in me and the boys.

Thank you so much <3 xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checking in :)

So it’s been a week now and everything has stayed the same so far.
No aggression and Luther seems a lot less spooked by Truffle now and they have even been laying a bit closer together. The only time there is a bit of heat is when I clean them out, but Truffle has never liked me cleaning his hutch lol.

I’m seriously considering giving them more room now and litter trays. But me being me I’m a bit nervous still. I think it will have to be soon though because without a litter tray their wee is soaking the back board wood and now making the back wet in the section below, no matter what bedding I use or how often I change it.
493c11154613724df66842aa7046690f.jpg

36ea987f67b7a1e0294ce703114b72cb.jpg

17d4c0c238ff73c4070feac63a52ccbe.jpg

They're so beautiful.
I say give them the extra room tonight & two litter trays. If you can do the distraction food again in piles of hay that'd be great. If you're okay sleeping on the sofa tonight as with the extra room they might have the odd scuffle just to re-establish who is boss but nothing to worry about x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They're so beautiful.
I say give them the extra room tonight & two litter trays. If you can do the distraction food again in piles of hay that'd be great. If you're okay sleeping on the sofa tonight as with the extra room they might have the odd scuffle just to re-establish who is boss but nothing to worry about x

Aw thank you.

Yeah that’s a good idea, it’s nearly their dinner time so I’ll prep there veg then do it. I’m not sure how Luther will react as he doesn’t know what a ramp is yet, so I’m expecting Truffle to spook him when Truffle runs up and down it.

Yeah I think I might have to stay down, I’ll see how it goes but I don’t mind :)

Thank you DP x

Hope it all goes well tonight. It's certainly all looking very positive. They are lucky boys that you had so much patience with them.

Just checking in :)

So it’s been a week now and everything has stayed the same so far.
No aggression and Luther seems a lot less spooked by Truffle now and they have even been laying a bit closer together. The only time there is a bit of heat is when I clean them out, but Truffle has never liked me cleaning his hutch lol.

I’m seriously considering giving them more room now and litter trays. But me being me I’m a bit nervous still. I think it will have to be soon though because without a litter tray their wee is soaking the back board wood and now making the back wet in the section below, no matter what bedding I use or how often I change it.
493c11154613724df66842aa7046690f.jpg

36ea987f67b7a1e0294ce703114b72cb.jpg

17d4c0c238ff73c4070feac63a52ccbe.jpg

You are amazing with these boys.

I must say, you're a true inspiration. To all those who might have thought you should call time on this, you believed in yourself and them.

Congratulations :D

Hope it all goes well tonight. It's certainly all looking very positive. They are lucky boys that you had so much patience with them.

Aw thank you! That’s really nice of you to say.

So far all is well with only one nip from truffle because Luther was “in the way” lol. There’s a bit of friction with Luther going up the ramp towards Truffle but hopefully that’s just because he’s never used one before and just needs to get used to everything again :)

You are amazing with these boys.

I must say, you're a true inspiration. To all those who might have thought you should call time on this, you believed in yourself and them.

Congratulations :D

Aww thank you so much, that’s a really lovely thing to say!

I must admit, I do feel pretty good that our instincts were right in the end and we ignored the doubters. I couldn’t have found the strength without all the help on here too!

Thank you :)

a72445a75e450fae48c96ca818351d71.jpg

All still going well?

Hi Omi,
Sorry the silly app doesn’t seem to want to send me notifications anymore!

Yes all has been the same since giving them the bottom of the hutch. Yesterday I also gave them the last bit up the top which is like a little cubby hole, so now they have the whole hutch.
But both are happy going up and down the ramp and have been sleeping near each other still, but also having some alone time too. Sharing food fine too, both are wanting to push their way into the world now though lol!

I tried to take a picture of all the space they have now :)
We were thinking of waiting till next week before letting them have a bit of space to come out perhaps x

1bf763b78ee7bfc22cc4f516412f9241.jpg

2ac21c306074c76b75b4b4206ea939d4.jpg

Hi guys,

I know your all probably super busy with Christmas being literally round the corner, but I have a quick question.

So the downstairs part of the hutch has a cat litter tray (both bunnies put their butt up when they wee so high sides mean it stays in the tray) and I had one of those corner litter trays in the section they have just been let into which is like a cubby hole, no mesh on the door front. The idea was that they would continue to lay up the top layer and in the cubby hole so they are close.

But Luther is spending a lot of time sleeping in the litter tray or down the bottom. Truffle sleeps mostly upstairs but some occasions they do swap.

I don’t know if this is all ok or if I should do something or rearrange the hutch to encourage them to spend more time together.
I could put the cat tray in the cubby hole where they spend the least time so hopefully they sleep downstairs together?

Or am I just worrying too much? :-/ I just don’t want the bond to break down, but when they are together they act normal so maybe when we move on to the next stage where they can get out the hutch a bit they will Be together more x

cc36499ddfffbdbf5072c3e39662ad54.jpg

36cb41b3e08b7464416d9fd13b2ffcf5.jpg

140fc707c4dc62a329ecd592da53e8ca.jpg

d4d44e82687a681e755f68efc78125c5.jpg

Hi, thanks for the pics :D Super boys :love:

Regarding your question, I think it sounds perfectly OK if things are happy between them when they are together. My intinct would tell me not to re-arrange things.

I think you'll find that once they have more room and are out of the hutch, the dynamics might change. That'll be the final hurdle won't it, when they are given lots more space :)

Hi guys,

I know your all probably super busy with Christmas being literally round the corner, but I have a quick question.

So the downstairs part of the hutch has a cat litter tray (both bunnies put their butt up when they wee so high sides mean it stays in the tray) and I had one of those corner litter trays in the section they have just been let into which is like a cubby hole, no mesh on the door front. The idea was that they would continue to lay up the top layer and in the cubby hole so they are close.

But Luther is spending a lot of time sleeping in the litter tray or down the bottom. Truffle sleeps mostly upstairs but some occasions they do swap.

I don’t know if this is all ok or if I should do something or rearrange the hutch to encourage them to spend more time together.
I could put the cat tray in the cubby hole where they spend the least time so hopefully they sleep downstairs together?

Or am I just worrying too much? :-/ I just don’t want the bond to break down, but when they are together they act normal so maybe when we move on to the next stage where they can get out the hutch a bit they will Be together more x

No, you're not worrying too much. You want this to work!

All bonded rabbits behave differently. Usually a bonded male and female will want to snuggle together most of the time. It may be that your boys don't ever develop that closeness, but that's OK. You've got them to peaceably share a hutch, which is believe me a major achievement!

I hope you can try to stress less over them, as being positive (as you have been) I am sure has contributed to your success :)

Don't worry about it. They're being perfectly normal and don't worry about rearranging everything.

You'll find once it's opened up they'll spend a bit more time together. Note once they get room out the hutch they may have a few hurdles to cross but it'll all be okay x

Thank you all so much for getting back to me [emoji4]

Like you guys have suggested I left the set up as it was and actually they have surprised me and spent more time together. They have been laying down together both up and downstairs in the hutch, but also taking some alone time too.

I don’t expect them to ever be too loved up but I think I need to remember how far they have come, and try to be a bit less paranoid!

You have all been amazing to us the last few months. I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas break, you deserve it!
Anything else super cute and I will be sure to post up pics :)

And DP, I won’t lie, the next stage does have me a bit worried I must admit so we are waiting till after Christmas Day/Boxing Day before moving on. But we have got this far so I’m staying positive and have faith in our boys :-D x

Thank you all so much for getting back to me [emoji4]

Like you guys have suggested I left the set up as it was and actually they have surprised me and spent more time together. They have been laying down together both up and downstairs in the hutch, but also taking some alone time too.

I don’t expect them to ever be too loved up but I think I need to remember how far they have come, and try to be a bit less paranoid!

You have all been amazing to us the last few months. I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas break, you deserve it!
Anything else super cute and I will be sure to post up pics :)

And DP, I won’t lie, the next stage does have me a bit worried I must admit so we are waiting till after Christmas Day/Boxing Day before moving on. But we have got this far so I’m staying positive and have faith in our boys :-D x

:D

And on a more positive note, you could change the title of your thread to something like .....

Bonding progress .. or Great Expectations :D

Back