• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonder disaster

Omi... 2 does are the worst to bond! My girls took over 3 months and lots of sleepless nights & tears but you'd never know it looking at them now. They've been bonded 2 years this month :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Omi... 2 does are the worst to bond! My girls took over 3 months and lots of sleepless nights & tears but you'd never know it looking at them now. They've been bonded 2 years this month :)

ditto for my girls...the tears & anguish (I wouldn't relish doing it again). One of the hardest yet most rewarding things I've done.

I scrolled down for your update with both fingers crossed. It does sound like its going ok & perhaps as DP says they are being a little guarded so as not to get your hopes up too much. Lots of positive thoughts. Ask them if there is a good time for you to call for a little bit more info

Hmm I admire your patience, but can understand why. In my view, if that's the only information you received, it's pretty minimal. I presume the "brown lop" (why can't they use their names?) is Truffle?

As I said earlier, I'm going to be in your position soon and have been looking at loads of internet videos on bonding. Some are very good and some I disagree with their methods. Anyway, last night I was encouraged with a long video, which attempted to bond two females (apparently not the easiest). In my view they did everything wrong in how they did it and in fact one of the does screamed on more than one occasion. It took, I think, 8 days for them to get to the stage where they were happy with each other and grooming. I'm saying this as it has shown me that sometimes it works eventually, even if mistakes are made and also sometimes it works eventually if you just stick at it.

Sending lots of hugs.

Yes I think Truffle presumably is “the brown one” although he’s harlequin and pretty light!
I hope they have the right pair, when we got there the weekend staff said we weren’t even in the diary which is another reason I wanted an update in case we had been forgotten among the three other bonds they were getting in.

I couldn’t watch many videos I found them cringy and made me feel a bit ill lol! One of them I watched a lady just keeps smooshing their faces together to be friends, if I did that with mine I’d have no fingers left!! Haha!
Yes see that one you say took 8 days is more what I’m expecting, I don’t think it will be one of their usual bonds so I have said I don’t mind paying more if they have to keep them longer than the normal 3-4 days, if it’s working. Yeah exactly that’s why I think of you know deep down it can work, you have to be patient and keep trying different things before calling it a day.
I hope yours goes more smoothly than ours, but if it ever happens for us at least you know miracles can happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the last bit is just leaving room for incase they can't make it work.
It sounds like a very minimal reply but the main thing is that there has already been some improvment xx

Yeah I did think maybe that’s why, would be nice to get something a bit more positive after the last 13 weeks though lol. Yes that’s true any improvement is good really. I did tell him that Truffle is quite stubborn and took about 1-2 months of positive training before he liked our new kittens, now they are his best friends xx

I scrolled down for your update with both fingers crossed. It does sound like its going ok & perhaps as DP says they are being a little guarded so as not to get your hopes up too much. Lots of positive thoughts. Ask them if there is a good time for you to call for a little bit more info

Aw thank you :)

Yes I think you guys are right, although we need a bit of positive at the moment with everything so far.
Thank you.
Yes that might be an idea, I just hope they done prematurely give up x

Just got an update reply, although I’m not really sure it’s good or not. Wasn’t as positive as I had hoped really....

“Hey the brown lop is being quite defensive but showing some signs of improvement it will take longer than normal we are going to keep trying with the bond for now”

The last bit makes me feel a bit negative about the outlook from their point of view.

I wouldn't take that as a negative. I doubt you'd get a long reply from me if I had my eyes glued to two bunnies as much as I could.

Still sending vibes, and I love your positive attitude. Our gut instinct is something very important and too precious to be ignored x

I wouldn't take that as a negative. I doubt you'd get a long reply from me if I had my eyes glued to two bunnies as much as I could.

Still sending vibes, and I love your positive attitude. Our gut instinct is something very important and too precious to be ignored x

Yes that’s very true, I didn’t think of it like that. I guess for now I should just take it that it’s good news they are still together 24 hours on which is more than anyone has achieved so far.

Aww thank you. Yes trying to be positive and keep myself busy so I’m a bit distracted :) xx

I've been thinking of you and the boys today. I really hope things are heading in the right direction with this new bond. xx

Aww your sweet, thank you. I haven’t heard any more since my last update so hopefully more good news will come soon.
I do miss them being here I will admit xx

Thank you Omi and MM :)

No news yet this morning, although I get the feeling I need to ask for it and they will only give news if it’s bad without prompting.

I just don’t want to ask too much if there isn’t much change because it’s going to be a slow process :-/

I’m also a bit worried to ask especially after having bad dreams about it last night, as silly as that sounds x

Thank you Omi and MM :)

No news yet this morning, although I get the feeling I need to ask for it and they will only give news if it’s bad without prompting.

I just don’t want to ask too much if there isn’t much change because it’s going to be a slow process :-/

I’m also a bit worried to ask especially after having bad dreams about it last night, as silly as that sounds x

No, not silly at all!

However, with a potentially difficult bond it may be that they are waiting for the bigger picture to emerge. They may want to leave things rumbling along, but not raise or dash your hopes prematurely with news that could change. You know what rabbits are like!

More vibes! x

No, not silly at all!

However, with a potentially difficult bond it may be that they are waiting for the bigger picture to emerge. They may want to leave things rumbling along, but not raise or dash your hopes prematurely with news that could change. You know what rabbits are like!

More vibes! x

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I don’t know if much would have changed since yesterday, but it’s good I haven’t had contact to say it’s gone horribly wrong so that’s good. I think with “normal” bonds they are complete in 3-4 days then handed back Thursday/Friday so owners have more time with the buns when they get back, so I might hear more tomorrow anyway.

Thank you [emoji4] xx

Everytime this thread is updated I get really excited & nervous - god only knows how you feel. I am in awe with your patience. I totally understand why communication is minimal but I'd personally be chewing my hands off :lol: It wouldn't really be of much help to get bits of info now - you know how we are all prone to over analysis with all things rabbit. Working on the assumption no news is good news I hope the next update is that they are more confident of them getting there eventually.

Maybe you should update you thread title to reflect the positivity you, I & others have that this one will not be a disaster

Thank you Omi :)

So I was too nervous to ask so my OH gave the bonders a call on his break. It sounded like a very quick rundown but this is what he’s told me from their quick chat.

The first day (or days I’m unsure) they had to be separated at night.

Luther’s skittish attitude and movements keep setting Truffle off, but there’s no fighting just pulling bum hair out.

Truffle is slowly now getting used to that just being Luther and how he is (fast and skittish) and Truffle is calming down more and Luther is getting less excited by the situation.

They are doing good and he sounded positive, however he’s not comfortable having them over the weekend there because they only have volunteers, which is a responsible attitude. He says they will be fine to come home, I’m not sure because it sounds like they are only just getting there and need a few more days, but I obviously can’t leave them unsupervised by volunteers.

I’m not sure what to do next.
But I’m in shock at how well they have done and I’m certain it’s because of you all willing us on and sending your vibes! X

Thank you Omi :)

So I was too nervous to ask so my OH gave the bonders a call on his break. It sounded like a very quick rundown but this is what he’s told me from their quick chat.

The first day (or days I’m unsure) they had to be separated at night.

Luther’s skittish attitude and movements keep setting Truffle off, but there’s no fighting just pulling bum hair out.

Truffle is slowly now getting used to that just being Luther and how he is (fast and skittish) and Truffle is calming down more and Luther is getting less excited by the situation.

They are doing good and he sounded positive, however he’s not comfortable having them over the weekend there because they only have volunteers, which is a responsible attitude. He says they will be fine to come home, I’m not sure because it sounds like they are only just getting there and need a few more days, but I obviously can’t leave them unsupervised by volunteers.

I’m not sure what to do next.
But I’m in shock at how well they have done and I’m certain it’s because of you all willing us on and sending your vibes! X

I was just about to come and ask for an update!

Could they take them back after the weekend to continue the bonding?
It sounds really positive and it sounds like they just needed someone who could withstand watching all the dominance/defensive behaviours. It's never easy and takes a certain kind of strong to cope with it x

Back