• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there less rescue rabbits available?

We at Scunthorpe Rabbit Rescue are inundated with bunnies. The Rescue can hold about 12 singles or pairs, but we have 23 at the moment, including a doe and 3 babies, three pairs and 5 or 6 babies that were hand reared. The lady who runs the rescue gets phone calls every day from people wanting to give up their rabbits - 'kids have lost interest, I've no time to look after it, child is allergic' - all the usual excuses. The RSPCA don't take rabbits here, so she gets all the abandoned and neglected bunnies from about a 30 mile radius, some of them in the most horrendous condition.

Finding homes for them all seems a thankless task. They are all neutered and vaccinated for myxo/VHD1 and VHD2, and microchipped. We find we have a lot of single males though, and rehomers are usually looking for a doe to bond with their bunnies.

There are hardly any on social media here as compared with a couple of years ago when there were many needing homes. I am sorry to say this but the RWA kept coming on the local website with lots of do's and dont's which I thought was too heavy-handed, and advertising unwanted rbbits has petered off since then. What are people doing with the rabbits they no longer can keep?

I would say that a lot get dumped in the countryside, that certainly happens round here

I would say that a lot get dumped in the countryside, that certainly happens round here

I really can't imagine how anyone could do this :(

I hope you manage to find good homes for your rabbits. No rescue in Kent, where I live, seems to have available rabbits in similar numbers.

There were 2 lovely rabbits advertised on here, Rosie and Lucy. Did they get rehomed? They were in Essex I think, not far from Kent?

There were 2 lovely rabbits advertised on here, Rosie and Lucy. Did they get rehomed? They were in Essex I think, not far from Kent?

Yes, they are favorites of mine too. They are atm in Berkshire though and so we are too far away.

I was at my vets yesterday (RHD2 vacc) with Tethra and we had a discussion about bonding. She's known Tethra, plus the rest of his family, for almost 6 years. She has given me lots to think about and tbh I'm even more apprehensive about trying to decide a good match for him. I might abandon MY wish for a group (3 or 4) and try to provide one lovely friend for him. His needs must come first in all of this.

And all the while the temperature is dropping lower and lower, which impacts in two ways. Firstly it means he is colder alone and secondly it means a neutral, cold, bonding area in the house becomes more difficult. I also could not let him go for a "bonding holiday" to a rescue :(

Yes, they are favorites of mine too. They are atm in Berkshire though and so we are too far away.

I was at my vets yesterday (RHD2 vacc) with Tethra and we had a discussion about bonding. She's known Tethra, plus the rest of his family, for almost 6 years. She has given me lots to think about and tbh I'm even more apprehensive about trying to decide a good match for him. I might abandon MY wish for a group (3 or 4) and try to provide one lovely friend for him. His needs must come first in all of this.

And all the while the temperature is dropping lower and lower, which impacts in two ways. Firstly it means he is colder alone and secondly it means a neutral, cold, bonding area in the house becomes more difficult. I also could not let him go for a "bonding holiday" to a rescue :(

It sounds like the vet knows him well, as you do. In my opinion, matching up personality of bunnies being bonded is the most important thing. I am sure that you will find him a suitable friend, and that will be easier to achieve if you are looking for one bun rather than multiples.

I am sure you will be able to make a room in the house cold enough by turning off the radiator in that room, keeping the door shut and having the window open a little while before they come in. I couldn't send mine on a bonding holiday either I decided I would much rather do it myself.

Tethra's perfect partner is out there somewhere and I'm sure you will find somebunny soon :thumb:

where are you Omi ... we are in south yorkshire , just off junction 36 of M1 and rehome nationaly . Barnsley animal rescue charity

my e mail is angela.bell3@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Angie, yes I know you are in South Yorkshire. I'm in Kent :( I was very attracted to your Chianti (I know she's been re-homed now). She sounded a lovely gentle soul and was a very beautiful Rex.

I know you rehome nationally, but this time I've decided not to drive a long distance, for the sake of the rabbit(s) and the environment. It must just be that locally there aren't many suitable rabbits at the moment. I'll just need to be a bit more patient :)

I would like to bond Pepper but it's too cold just now - bonding and extreme cold are both stressful, so I will just have to wait a while.

Hi Angie, yes I know you are in South Yorkshire. I'm in Kent :( I was very attracted to your Chianti (I know she's been re-homed now). She sounded a lovely gentle soul and was a very beautiful Rex.

I know you rehome nationally, but this time I've decided not to drive a long distance, for the sake of the rabbit(s) and the environment. It must just be that locally there aren't many suitable rabbits at the moment. I'll just need to be a bit more patient :)

i can understand you not wanting to travel too far .

yes chianti has gone .. happily bonded into a group bless her

:wave: They're back in Essex now and being looked after by Louise and Gus. My brain isn't working tonight but happy to talk further ;-)

Back